Doke OUT for Season.

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: Doke OUT for Season.

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:28 am perhaps Self was more so upset by the fact he wasn't the first to know about it?

I mean he IS the head coach after all, and should know ASAP if his starting center isn't available.
At the time I wanted to post that it's a bad look to call out a player, as he seemingly did, for an injury...it sorta sets a bad precedent. And injuries are different than other aspects of challenging someone's toughness. You don't want a player making an injury worse because he's trying to prove how tough he is. And the general climate is moving towards a place where I don't think you want a reputation for being a coach who wants players to play hurt.

The reason I didn't post that at the time was it was possible that he was more upset with the trainers/medical people for maybe flip flopping on him or something, and that wasn't directed at Dok.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Leawood wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:25 am Feel bad for suggesting Dok is a pussy.
Maybe he's not a pussy, but he's certainly fragile.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

We are fucked.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

We're Kansas-fucked - the trajectory of the season now appears to be we will scratch and claw our way to at least a share of the league, then top out in the second weekend of the tournament.

Unless something Grimes drastically changes Grimes with being able to get offense out of Grimes, anyway.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

With Dok I predicted 37-3 (16-2)

Without Dok I’ll predict 32-6 (15-3).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Seems right. I'd put the conference wins O/U at 14.5 right now.

I also now think it's less likely we win the Big 12 tournament than I did maybe a couple months ago. I could see us getting bounced with a 4-17 from 3 effort in any round.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:36 am We're Kansas-fucked - the trajectory of the season now appears to be we will scratch and claw our way to at least a share of the league, then top out in the second weekend of the tournament.

Unless something Grimes drastically changes Grimes with being able to get offense out of Grimes, anyway.
16.3 on 55% shooting and 38% from three the past 3 games.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Right there with you. I'm still nervous based on how he's getting buckets (which has been, for lack of a better word, very garbage-y). That's great and we NEED that, but to really be a Final Four-type team, Grimes has got to be able to generate good shots for himself and others.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Grimes still seems like he could eventually just turn it on and look bona fide lotto.

I mean, fuck, it took Keanu until the very end of the entire first movie to realize he really was Neo.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Grimes can't just "turn on" being more athletic....I'd be intrigued to see him used more as a PG, but with Dotson we won't be able to do that due to roster composition.

Shot looks good. So hard work can make it improve.

Seems to be a hard worker with a good head on his shoulders. That's something people either have or don't.

I'm far from giving up hope on Grimes. Everyone develops at their own pace. The key is improving regardless of the rate.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:22 am Grimes can't just "turn on" being more athletic....I'd be intrigued to see him used more as a PG, but with Dotson we won't be able to do that due to roster composition.

Normally I'd agree with this take, but he was playing at or above the rim more in the ISU game than in any of the previous games. He could be a guy whose athleticism has looked limited because of hesitation and uncertainty.

Maybe I'm totes wrong about that, I'm pretty biased and want him to be good.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:28 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:22 am Grimes can't just "turn on" being more athletic....I'd be intrigued to see him used more as a PG, but with Dotson we won't be able to do that due to roster composition.

Normally I'd agree with this take, but he was playing at or above the rim more in the ISU game than in any of the previous games. He could be a guy whose athleticism has looked limited because of hesitation and uncertainty.

Maybe I'm totes wrong about that, I'm pretty biased and want him to be good.
Very possible. These guys are playing/practicing and training at rates they've likely never experienced before. Legs could just be sort of dead?

The twins didn't look like they could even dunk at first, now they're both plenty athletic enough to survive (and thrive) in their NBA roles. Maybe he just needs some time to build strength and adjust to the rigors of college hoops.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:36 am We're Kansas-fucked - the trajectory of the season now appears to be we will scratch and claw our way to at least a share of the league, then top out in the second weekend of the tournament.
Sounds about right.
Unless Silvio steps on the court.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I am, I said.
Deleted User 75

"There's been no AD Boogie or KAT...."

Guess he forgot about embiid.

(Although I realize embiid was different then than he is now)
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

sdoyel wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:37 pm You know. I was looking at KJ lawsons numbers at Memphis. He is much better than what he has shown thus far at KU. He seems to play well alongside Dedric. Dare I say he may be a good option to start at the 4? He’s versatile enough to guard the perimeter... I mean, Garrett just doesn’t give us much at all. Hell, we beat Tennessee without him.
the main difference was at Memphis he was given an opportunity. here he hasnt been given much of one yet. for whatever reason self seems to favor mitch fucking lightfoot. KJ played quite a bit next to dedric in the tennessee game, played well, and that was our best win on the season
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

UTenn's style played right into ours and KJ's. I think that's a part of why we saw him disproportionately in that game. Good news is, like I posted in another thread, we're going to see a lot of slug it out low scoring games in the league.

I buy that KJ is better than he's shown here and he does have some years of eligibility left to where he can be a key piece for us. But, I don't see some kind of hidden star there. It's often forgotten but he's older than Dedric.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

We'll win at least a share, unless we lose another key player. Our fans forget that other conference teams will lose games as well. I would agree that it's going to be pretty difficult to see us getting to a final four, but we got there before with teams thinner than this one.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

KJ scored in double figures 20 times for Memphis in 2017. Including a 19/10 game vs Oklahoma. He isn’t some scrub. There is more there and I think we see it sooner than later...
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 167

Post by Deleted User 167 »

We are not winning the big 12 or making a run in the tourney if we continue to play small ball. The only reason it worked last year is because we had good three-point shooters. Playing small ball with bad three-point shooters does not work. Start McCormack or KJ and live with the occasional mistakes for now so they are at their best by March.