Suits

Coffee talk.
Mjl

Re: Suits

Post by Mjl »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:38 am My daughter's wedding was the last time I wore one.

This thread reminds me of the greatest KU Sportsbored one liner of all time.
"I'm 30 and wear a suit to work."
Who said that? 85?
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Wiff wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:40 pm I've been wearing the same few "starter" suits that I've had since beginning my career, and they are starting to wear out their welcome. Consequently, I think it's time for me to invest in some new good quality suits, but I don't really know where to start. I'm looking for suits that are more lightweight and comfortable.

For the other lawyers/business people on here who have to wear suits semi-regularly: where do you guys get your suits? And what type/brand do you like or prefer?
Straightforward questions. I'll start by echoing jfish. No huge need to be brand-conscious, especially if you'll wear the suits sporadically. The competence of the tailor will be key, so as you're looking, don't be afraid to ask about him or her in an off-hand manner -- how long they've been with the shop; have they done work for the salesperson, etc.

As for the brand, any mainstream maker (Klein, Abboud, Lauren, etc.) will put you in a very decent product. Upscale them with your ties. Shoes always need to be of good quality.

If you're seeking a higher-quality item while remaining off-the-rack, then one of upscale department stores can get you there. Again, the tailor will be key.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
shindig

Post by shindig »

Anybody still wear pleated pants? I haven't in 20 years, just curious, not judging :)
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Mjl wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:57 am
jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:38 am My daughter's wedding was the last time I wore one.

This thread reminds me of the greatest KU Sportsbored one liner of all time.
"I'm 30 and wear a suit to work."
Who said that? 85?
B of H
Defense. Rebounds.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Shoulda known
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Polo shirts and shorts for this guy.
A perk of the boat business
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I'm in the office for the 1st time in 2 years. I've seen 3 other people here in a huge campus. Crazy.

I'm a little freaked out to be honest.
Defense. Rebounds.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:24 am I'm in the office for the 1st time in 2 years. I've seen 3 other people here in a huge campus. Crazy.

I'm with you, except it's been about nine months now. Most days I am the only one in my entire office. You get used to it.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:24 am I'm in the office for the 1st time in 2 years. I've seen 3 other people here in a huge campus. Crazy.

I went into the office for 2 hours today. Everyone was there and only one other person other than me, she is immunocompromised, was wearing a mask and it is close quarters. For the last month we have been doubling up partners in offices because we are out of space. The partner who now shares my office told me last week her son tested positive for covid, so she was going to "quarantine" last week. That meant she would only come in for 2 hours a day and wear a mask while there. I did not come in at all last week.

I'm not freaked out, but it does leave me scratching my head.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I was mostly a little freaked out by being around people again rather than virus worries. About half the people here (not many) are wearing masks even though I think there's a mandate to wear them when not at your cube. I'm going to have to be on campus for 1 day per week for the next month or so.
Defense. Rebounds.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I forgot what the topic of the thread was. I did not wear a suit today, I wore this hoodie.

Right before I headed into the office I found out that my roommate from KU, Jamie had just passed away after a long battle with cancer. In a previous life she was Jimmy Jism, lead singer of The Bombs From Hell. She would have liked the statement this hoodie made as I walked into the conference room to discuss a corporate merger.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.