Redshirt rules

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 75

Re: Redshirt rules

Post by Deleted User 75 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:35 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:06 am We're going to need a good recruiting class for next year. Especially if Dedric leaves.

If we've got Garrett Moore and KJ all playing major roles next year (with no Dedric, Dok, Vick, and Grimes) then we could have the 1st truly down season of the Self era....but plenty of time to get some guys. Just always somewhat nervous/anxious to see how this Adidas stuff impacts our ability to recruit.

It's not like we've got "the brotherhood" to help us land big timers like Duke does. LOL
Dotson would have to go Sr. Mason or Sr. Graham
Hey, I'm not betting against him after what he's done so far this year.....but, I know what you're saying.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

kubandalum wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:21 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:37 am Or! It’s just as much a testament to maybe Ochai is further along than anyone expected!
Yes.

Bill Self in KC Star: “If we’d known he’d be where he is right now before we’d have never considered it (redshirt) because he’s done so well.”
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... 06520.html
My nephew trains at the same ARC Sports Performance location that Agbaji was training at and the kid is an insanely obsessively hard worker. I think we're all gonna be pleasantly surprised tonight.
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:06 am We're going to need a good recruiting class for next year. Especially if Dedric leaves.

If we've got Garrett Moore and KJ all playing major roles next year (with no Dedric, Dok, Vick, and Grimes) then we could have the 1st truly down season of the Self era....but plenty of time to get some guys. Just always somewhat nervous/anxious to see how this Adidas stuff impacts our ability to recruit.

It's not like we've got "the brotherhood" to help us land big timers like Duke does. LOL
Based on how they’ve played so far this year, do you really think the NBA will draft Grimes and Dok? (This year, I mean.)
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
kcmokufan

Post by kcmokufan »

I don't really know what to expect from Agbaji. Dosen't the fact that he redshirted mean he is at best only slightly better than KJ?
Deleted User 75

kubandalum wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:30 pm

Based on how they’ve played so far this year, do you really think the NBA will draft Grimes and Dok?
Grimes- probably. Maybe not 1st round. But that's hardly stopping people from leaving.

Dok- no....but that's likely never going to be a "yes" regardless....20 years ago Dok would be a lotto pick easily. But he's a dying breed in the NBA...outside of DeAndre Jordan, I can't think of a single starting 7ft center that can't shoot/is unskilled like Dok.....and even Jordan is elite at defense which keeps him employed. I may be missing a guy or 2, but there's not many....and Dok just doesn't do anything at an NBA level.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Grimes season is shaping up a lot better than his reputation with fans tells.

The Marquette, Tenn and Stanford stretch did some damage. But his last 3 games are 19, 14 and 16. While shooting 55%. I think he has a fair chance of continuing the upward trend and landing in the league.
I am, I said.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:57 am
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:35 am

Dotson would have to go Sr. Mason or Sr. Graham
Hey, I'm not betting against him after what he's done so far this year.....but, I know what you're saying.
I think he could do it, especially if he improves his perimeter shot, which I think he will do.

I would prefer he not need to.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

kcmokufan wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:36 pm I don't really know what to expect from Agbaji. Dosen't the fact that he redshirted mean he is at best only slightly better than KJ?
I think the injury played into the RS decision.

Also, Agbaji had the RS available. KJ did not.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

kcmokufan wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:36 pm I don't really know what to expect from Agbaji. Dosen't the fact that he redshirted mean he is at best only slightly better than KJ?
I don't think the choice is or was ever KJ or Ochai.

When you expect to have Doke (and at least limply hope to have Silvio), meaning you expect to play with two bigs most of the time, it's not worth burning a year of eligibility for Ochai to get walk-on minutes.

When you lose Doke (and no longer really hold out any hope of getting Silvio), and you then expect to play with one big most of the time, it's worth using up a year of eligibility so that you have six, not five, legitimate options to play alongside a single big.
Deleted User 75

Doesn't Agbaji give us 7 options to play alongside Dedric?

Dotson
Grimes
Vick
Garrett
Moore
KJ
Agbaji

Or are we not counting KJ with the guards?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:58 pm Doesn't Agbaji give us 7 options to play alongside Dedric?

Dotson
Grimes
Vick
Garrett
Moore
KJ
Agbaji

I am not. He can't guard a guard.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Yeah, but you can't count him as a big either if we're playing 4 out, he's (hopefully) never out there alone as the sole big.

He should get all or most of his minutes as the 4 - whether that's on the perimeter or inside, so he counts in the rotation of guys who play positions 1-4...which are now more or less all guards.

Deleted User 75

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:00 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:58 pm Doesn't Agbaji give us 7 options to play alongside Dedric?

Dotson
Grimes
Vick
Garrett
Moore
KJ
Agbaji

Word.

Although neither can Moore.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:15 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:00 pm

Dotson
Grimes
Vick
Garrett
Moore
KJ
Agbaji

Word.

Although neither can Moore.
Well...KJ can't guard a guard. He can't handle or pass the ball like a guard. He can't shoot like a guard.

In sum: KJ is not a guard.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KJ is like watching Jamari with lead in his shoes.

In other words, kill it with fire.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

So, I'm not sure if the rest of you are being overly harsh on KJ or just not harsh enough on Charlie Moore.

Maybe the reason I'm harder on Moore is that he's getting more than twice the number of minutes.

I mean, I won't argue that Lawson has guard skills but he has a much higher assist rate than Moore.

(Damn, I was just looking at some advanced stats to support my argument, and Grimes numbers are bad....Really hoping that guy has turned the corner.)

Deleted User 75

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:07 pm KJ is like watching Jamari with lead in his shoes.

Jamari could play defense and block shots and dunk in people's face.

Don't bring Jamari into this!
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:07 pm KJ is like watching Jamari with lead in his shoes.

Oh my. This is actually really accurate. Not expected to do anything well, just do enough to make a mark. But at least Jamari wrecked fools on a daily basis. KJ hasn't done that yet.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:13 pm So, I'm not sure if the rest of you are being overly harsh on KJ or just not harsh enough on Charlie Moore.

Maybe the reason I'm harder on Moore is that he's getting more than twice the number of minutes.

I mean, I won't argue that Lawson has guard skills but he has a much higher assist rate than Moore.

(Damn, I was just looking at some advanced stats to support my argument, and Grimes numbers are bad....Really hoping that guy has turned the corner.)
I really, really do not like Charlie Moore - or maybe just hate how he's played. We just have no one else to spell Devon.

Charlie throws up crap after crap. Shots, passes, you name it.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:17 pm

Oh my. This is actually really accurate. Not expected to do anything well, just do enough to make a mark. But at least Jamari wrecked fools on a daily basis. KJ hasn't done that yet.
Jamari would make an excellent third down outside pass rusher.

Unfortunately, in basketball, there really isn't an equivalent.