Weather

Coffee talk.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Weather

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

8 inches of snow expected tomorrow in my neck of the woods. Over only an 8 hour period. An inch of snow per hour is pretty insane.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

What Newton tells his wife is 8 inches.

I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

We're supposed to get 4-6" tomorrow. But, big news everyone, I became Snow-Thrower Guy this Winter. It is a life-changer, friends.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:50 pm We're supposed to get 4-6" tomorrow. But, big news everyone, I became Snow-Thrower Guy this Winter. It is a life-changer, friends.
Thankfully my driveway is smaller, but that still would be nice to have. What takes 25 minutes would take about 5.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:36 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:50 pm We're supposed to get 4-6" tomorrow. But, big news everyone, I became Snow-Thrower Guy this Winter. It is a life-changer, friends.
Thankfully my driveway is smaller, but that still would be nice to have. What takes 25 minutes would take about 5.
It's at least as much about the effort as it is the time. Shoveling sucks ass, and I've never had consistently good results. Snow-throwing is super easy, highly effective and even pretty fun!
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Are you the 'lone' thrower on the block?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:37 pm What Newton tells his wife is 8 inches.

i laughed
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:15 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:37 pm What Newton tells his wife is 8 inches.

i laughed
This joke always plays
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Snow blowing IS fun.
What ya packing?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I just use the tractor with turf tamers on the bucket works great
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

we seriously looked at a blower, but seems a waste with the reduced snowfall we’re seeing

one or two heavy snows per year doesn’t seem worth it
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Winter Storm Warning from THU 2:00 PM CST until THU 9:00 PM CST
Action Recommended
Make preparations per the instructions
Issued By
Chicago - IL, US, National Weather Service
Affected Area
Central Cook County
Description
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 2 PM CST THURSDAY... ...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM TO 9 PM CST THURSDAY...

WHAT...A period of freezing rain and sleet quickly changing to wet snow expected overnight. After a break in the accumulating wintry precipitation Thursday morning, wind driven snow is expected by mid-afternoon Thursday and will continue into early evening. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 5 inches and ice accumulations of a light glaze are expected. North winds gusting as high as 45 mph, especially near Lake Michigan, Thursday afternoon and early evening.

WHERE...Central Cook County.

WHEN...For the Winter Storm Warning, from 2 PM to 9 PM CST Thursday. For the Winter Weather Advisory, from 3 AM to 2 PM CST Thursday.

IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions for the Thursday morning commute. Travel during the late afternoon and evening will become very difficult or treacherous from very low visibilities in falling and blowing snow, especially along Lake Michigan.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The falling snowfall combined with the strong winds will result in very low visibility and may cause sporadic power outages from strain on tree limbs and power lines.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.

Slow down and use caution while traveling.

The latest road conditions for Illinois can be obtained on the internet at www.gettingaroundillinois.com.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winter Weather Advisory from THU 3:00 AM CST until THU 2:00 PM CST
Action Recommended
Execute a pre-planned activity identified in the instructions
Issued By
Affected Area
Central Cook County
Description
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 2 PM CST THURSDAY... ...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM TO 9 PM CST THURSDAY...

WHAT...A period of freezing rain and sleet quickly changing to wet snow expected overnight. After a break in the accumulating wintry precipitation Thursday morning, wind driven snow is expected by mid-afternoon Thursday and will continue into early evening. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 5 inches and ice accumulations of a light glaze are expected. North winds gusting as high as 45 mph, especially near Lake Michigan, Thursday afternoon and early evening.

WHERE...Central Cook County.

WHEN...For the Winter Storm Warning, from 2 PM to 9 PM CST Thursday. For the Winter Weather Advisory, from 3 AM to 2 PM CST Thursday.

IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions for the Thursday morning commute. Travel during the late afternoon and evening will become very difficult or treacherous from very low visibilities in falling and blowing snow, especially along Lake Michigan.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The falling snowfall combined with the strong winds will result in very low visibility and may cause sporadic power outages from strain on tree limbs and power lines.

If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.

Slow down and use caution while traveling.

The latest road conditions for Illinois can be obtained on the internet at www.gettingaroundillinois.com.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gale Warning from THU 8:00 AM CST until THU 10:00 PM CST
Action Recommended
Avoid the subject event as per the instructions
Issued By
Affected Area
Portions of Lake Michigan
Description
...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 AM CST THURSDAY... ...GALE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM TO 10 PM CST THURSDAY...

WHAT...For the Gale Warning, north gales to 40 kt. Significant waves to 14 ft. Occasional waves to 18 ft. For the Small Craft Advisory, southwest winds 30 kt shifting north. Significant waves to 9 ft. Occasional waves to 12 ft.

WHERE...Portions of Lake Michigan.

WHEN...For the Gale Warning, from 8 AM to 10 PM CST Thursday. For the Small Craft Advisory, until 8 AM CST Thursday.

IMPACTS...Strong winds will cause hazardous waves which could capsize or damage vessels and reduce visibility.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Freezing spray is also expected, especially Thursday night.

Mariners should alter plans to avoid these hazardous conditions. Remain in port, seek safe harbor, alter course, and/or secure the vessel for severe conditions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lakeshore Flood Advisory from THU 6:00 AM CST until FRI 12:00 AM CST
Action Recommended
Attend to information sources as described in the instructions
Issued By
Affected Area
Lake IL, Northern Cook, Central Cook and Southern Cook Counties
Description
...LAKESHORE FLOOD ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM THURSDAY TO MIDNIGHT CST THURSDAY NIGHT...

WHAT...Large battering waves 10 to 14 feet. Waves of this magnitude will result in renewed shoreline erosion, lakeshore flooding, and dangerous conditions near the lakefront.

WHERE...Lake IL, Northern Cook, Central Cook and Southern Cook Counties.

WHEN...From 6 AM Thursday to midnight CST Thursday night.

IMPACTS...Flooding of property along the lakeshore including parts of the Chicago bike path are likely, with flooding of some low lying roads possible. Freezing spray could also lead to ice accumulation on surfaces near the lake.

Residents on or near the shore should take appropriate action to protect property from rising water levels.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Small Craft Advisory until THU 8:00 AM CST

5 of 5
Action Recommended
Avoid the subject event as per the instructions
Issued By
Affected Area
Portions of Lake Michigan
Description
...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 AM CST THURSDAY... ...GALE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 8 AM TO 10 PM CST THURSDAY...

WHAT...For the Gale Warning, north gales to 40 kt. Significant waves to 14 ft. Occasional waves to 18 ft. For the Small Craft Advisory, southwest winds 30 kt shifting north. Significant waves to 9 ft. Occasional waves to 12 ft.

WHERE...Portions of Lake Michigan.

WHEN...For the Gale Warning, from 8 AM to 10 PM CST Thursday. For the Small Craft Advisory, until 8 AM CST Thursday.

IMPACTS...Strong winds will cause hazardous waves which could capsize or damage vessels and reduce visibility.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Freezing spray is also expected, especially Thursday night.

Mariners should alter plans to avoid these hazardous conditions. Remain in port, seek safe harbor, alter course, and/or secure the vessel for severe conditions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other words........ It's February in Chicago.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
shindig

Post by shindig »

60 yesterday, now 20 and blowing snow. Yay for the midwest.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Crazy windy here. Still 60F.
Expecting big storms tonight with a low of 25.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

defixione wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:07 pm Are you the 'lone' thrower on the block?
No. I'd imagine one house in...four? Six? uses one.

My next door neighbor was a goddamn hero, had a plow attachment for his ride-on Deere mower. So he kindly handled everything for my family. But he moved, so I bit the bullet.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:00 pm Snow blowing IS fun.
What ya packing?
This relative pop-gun.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075N ... UTF8&psc=1

Wouldn't be a worthy adversary for really heavy snows (in height or volume), but that's not what we tend to get.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I just learned the difference between a snow thrower and snow blower.

"A "snow thrower" refers to a single stage snow removal machine that picks up the snow in one motion and throws it out the chute with the continuation of that movement. The term "single stage" describes the fact that the snow is thrown in one single movement.

A "snow blower" refers to a two stage snow removal machine. The auger scoops up the snow (first stage) and feeds it to the impeller which blows the snow (second stage) out the chute. The "blower" part seems appropriate since the impeller operates much like a fan, except is much more powerful."
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:12 am I just learned the difference between a snow thrower and snow blower.

"A "snow thrower" refers to a single stage snow removal machine that picks up the snow in one motion and throws it out the chute with the continuation of that movement. The term "single stage" describes the fact that the snow is thrown in one single movement.

A "snow blower" refers to a two stage snow removal machine. The auger scoops up the snow (first stage) and feeds it to the impeller which blows the snow (second stage) out the chute. The "blower" part seems appropriate since the impeller operates much like a fan, except is much more powerful."
Yep. Mine is electric (ergo, "thrower").
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:17 am
pdub wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:12 am I just learned the difference between a snow thrower and snow blower.

how’s the charge life? electric is what we were looking at, and most likely what we’ll go with if/when the time comes
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:20 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:17 am

how’s the charge life? electric is what we were looking at, and most likely what we’ll go with if/when the time comes
It's corded. Not a huge annoyance if you already have to have a 100-foot heavy gauge extension cord in your garage for other things (like corded leaf blowers or pressure washers, as I do).