It’s that time: Fish Fry Season

Coffee talk.
Leawood

It’s that time: Fish Fry Season

Post by Leawood »

Fried fish, cole slaw, hush puppies. Nothing controversial about that.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: It’s that time: Fish Fry Season

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I actually thought about bumping the fried chicken thread for this very reason. Here's your schedule Leawood:

https://catholickey.org/2022/02/14/2022 ... nten-fare/
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

love me some hush puppies
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

My mom used to cook roasts until they were black and almost a cinder. They tasted like charcoal. It was to kill the parasites she said. Fried fish was the one thing she didn't cook all of the flavor out of. It tasted like fish. I loved it as a kid.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

I’ve bragged about it before, but my crappie po’boys are the stuff of legend.
“Qusdahl ISNT wrong.” - PDub 1/28

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I went to Catholic school from second grade through high school. Lent can, respectfully, fuck off forever.
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

I wouldn’t want to fry myself either.

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We didn't have a whole lot of money when I was a kid.
We got what I referred to as yellow dinner.

Kraft Mac N Cheese
Scrambled Eggs
Canned Corn

Yum
Defense. Rebounds.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Qusdahl wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:44 pm I’ve bragged about it before, but my crappie po’boys are the stuff of legend.
Do you have a food truck? We need one to show up on June 25.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Qusdahl wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:44 pm I’ve bragged about it before, but my crappie po’boys are the stuff of legend.
sounds pretty crappie
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:53 pm We didn't have a whole lot of money when I was a kid.
We got what I referred to as yellow dinner.

Kraft Mac N Cheese
Scrambled Eggs
Canned Corn

Yum
that sounds like a feast

i had fried spam and hot dogs more times than i care to admit

that said, my mom used to do it up right with diced potatoes and green chili, all fried together with one of the two “meats”
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Tuna casserole was always the worst part of lent.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

None of that hot dog/spam stuff for us on a Friday during Lent.
Defense. Rebounds.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:56 pm Tuna casserole was always the worst part of lent.
We would have had that, but my dad hated it. He occasionally made salmon patties out of canned salmon. That was the worst.
Defense. Rebounds.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

I can’t go too long without going to Big Shucks here in DFW for some catfish filets and hush puppies.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

A cursory google search indicates there’s not much crappie available for the food service industry. Could prob find some perch or walleye and make that work tho too.

But that would also quickly undermine perhaps the most important part, which is the freshness. You’ve gotta be consuming the filets within a couple hours of harvest, tops. Otherwise the meat isn’t as light and mild and delicious, and can quickly get the fishy vibes.

Ideally, just have a camp stove or fire and a skillet waiting right by the lake.

japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

There is a fish farm about 15 minutes from the Empire. There is a fish fry in an old homestead cabin in the shadow of Mt Skipper just off Route T every Memorial Day weekend. The Frontier is where the fish comes from. I don't know Kermit who owns the place but that will change soon.

http://www.frontiertroutranch.net/index.html
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Qusdahl wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:12 am
You’ve gotta be consuming the filets within a couple hours of harvest, tops. Otherwise the meat isn’t as light and mild and delicious, and can quickly get the fishy vibes.
Sailing back from Hawaii in 1978 we caught lots of Mahi Mahi and swordfish. No matter the time of day, they went straight to the galley to be cleaned and filleted, then brought topside to the helm and served with wasabi, pickled ginger and a beer. I ate more fish in that eight weeks than I have in the last 20 years.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

best humble brag ever ;)