The Travel Thread

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:00 pm
TDub wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:58 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:50 pm To each her own, but my threshold is 3.5 hours, anything over and I am taking a (nonstop) bird.

Why I hate having to go places like Tulsa/OKC. No good way around the 5 hour drive.

And yes, I have done plenty of the 12-15 hour drives. I am completely on board with developing high speed rail here.
sometimes I have more fun on the drive than at the destination. That is never the case on a plane. If I never fly again it'll be too soon.
Yeah, I was thinking that one of the issues with driving from KC is that, pretty much any direction you go, you have 3+ solid hours of crap scenery/drive to start out.
yea, thats a fair point.

I'm weird and I like the boring ass drive through Wyoming (which I've done too many times)...but the drive through Nebraska gets me....it is just about unbearable.

South Dakota: Great
Iowa: bearable
Nebraska: Awful
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:45 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:45 pm
Qusdahl wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:34 pm lol

My aunt has a place down there. Goes a lot. My fam met up with their fam at least once there growing up. Ya it’s pretty much Branson with a beach.

I think the appeal is that it’s like Florida, but an easier drive from MI than Florida.

And it’s like Florida’s weird little brother (think like Reno is to Vegas)

Tho to be fair, Reno’s actually pretty cool. Serviceable college town, plus Tahoe's right there. I digress.

Didn’t illy spend time working at a golf course in myrtle beach?
A what from where? My god. Hard pass.
12hrs isn't a bad drive...ive made many such drives
No thank you, not as the solo driver. My limits are about a rubber band stretched around pins in the map in, clockwise, Minneapolis/Indianapolis/Nashville/Dallas/Denver/Sioux Falls.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

not all 12 hour drives are created equally

between SLC and denver is awesome, but denver to Lawrence might be the most godawful stretch of highway in the country
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:54 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:52 pm It's 10 hours to KC from here. I do that a few times a year. It's ok.

Going to Minneapolis is 13, that's a bit much. I usually fly.

I love to do road trips. That same one to KC is getting old though.
Louisville/Lex are hard choices from KC because you have to go through Chicago to fly. I'm doing it next month and did consider driving but the $79 one way fares to SDF were just too cheap to pass up.
Cheaper still if you stuff yourself into a box and FedEx it. Comfy DC-10 ride.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:00 pm
TDub wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:58 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:50 pm To each her own, but my threshold is 3.5 hours, anything over and I am taking a (nonstop) bird.

Why I hate having to go places like Tulsa/OKC. No good way around the 5 hour drive.

And yes, I have done plenty of the 12-15 hour drives. I am completely on board with developing high speed rail here.
sometimes I have more fun on the drive than at the destination. That is never the case on a plane. If I never fly again it'll be too soon.
Yeah, I was thinking that one of the issues with driving from KC is that, pretty much any direction you go, you have 3+ solid hours of crap scenery/drive to start out.
I've done KC <--> Minneapolis more times than I could count. There's nothing worse than how, in either direction, you cross into the destination state...and yet somehow have an hour and a half of shit to go.

"I'm in Minnesota, almost there!"

Nope. Joke's on you. Here's some Albert Lea and Owatonna for your troubles.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:43 pm
TDub wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:45 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:45 pm

A what from where? My god. Hard pass.
12hrs isn't a bad drive...ive made many such drives
No thank you, not as the solo driver. My limits are about a rubber band stretched around pins in the map in, clockwise, Minneapolis/Indianapolis/Nashville/Dallas/Denver/Sioux Falls.
drove from Oregon to Notre Dame and back in 4 days, including the wedding day etc to go to a buddies wedding. Was a great trip

the trip to grandma in-laws in nowhere Nevada is a tougher trip though, with 2 kids under 5. Lot of early morning/overnight driving. Still way better than getting on a plane
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:54 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:52 pm It's 10 hours to KC from here. I do that a few times a year. It's ok.

Louisville/Lex are hard choices from KC because you have to go through Chicago to fly. I'm doing it next month and did consider driving but the $79 one way fares to SDF were just too cheap to pass up.
If you're in Lex, let me know.
Defense. Rebounds.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

To me road trips are only fun when it's the first time, or you're taking a different route.

It gets so boring when you are going to the same place frequently.

Direct flights are the best, but man, if you go from one small airport to another, you might have 2 connections, and if your airport is like an hour away from your ultimate destination, that really blows, road trip often makes more sense.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I have the family out in Montana this week.
First day was skiing, staying at Quinn’s Hot Spring resort, snowmobiling yesterday north of Flathead Lake.
Back to Quinn’s last night, off to Coeur d’Alene this afternoon.

Been an amazing week!

Quinn’s:
https://youtu.be/pqOOlrQQxHw
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

Mjl wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:40 pm If you don't drink I think a cruise might make more sense.

I'm heading to a resort in Punta Cana tomorrow. I've never been to a resort since I stopped drinking. It's going to be weird.
Sign up for VIP departure on your way back through PUJ if you haven't already. Skip the lines. I just came back from there and waited 3.5 hours to get through security.
Ain't no seats
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ugh…southern New Mexico and Arizona are now on my schedule for mid July

gross

who doesn’t love heat stroke?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Beautiful country. Gone B hot.
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

unfortunately, about a third of the time will be in Scottsdale

but other than that, yes, the scenery will be great

flights through Tucson are only around $200 (not that i’m paying for it, but still)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Going to have one night in London in May. I've never been. Any recommendations on where to get a hotel? Not trying to do anything specifically, just want a place that's good for walking around and taking things in.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

…look, kids: Big Ben, Parliament…
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:09 am Going to have one night in London in May. I've never been. Any recommendations on where to get a hotel? Not trying to do anything specifically, just want a place that's good for walking around and taking things in.
I lived in the "City of London" (it's a neighborhood, not to be confused with the "city of London") for five months. Amazing experience.

It depends on what you mean by "take it in". If you want to be able to walk a mile or two and see some of the famous stuff or wander into a museum, right around Leicester (pronounced "Lister") Square or Piccadilly Circus would be good. It'll be pricey, but, lawyer, so, deal with it :).

The area I lived is good if you want to see the hustle and bustle of the business district, and hang out in pubs filled with locals, and wander off to the Tower of London to see something historic. Unless it's a weekend - it's a ghost town on the weekend except for the occasional lost tourist looking for the Tower or St. Paul's Cathedral.

Shoreditch was our hangout neighborhood. It's got pubs and entertainment and the best Indian food (Brick Lane) I've ever had. That's also away from tourists (but also away from historically significant stuff).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:20 am …look, kids: Big Ben, Parliament…
No children, Christ. In and out for a client wedding.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:16 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:20 am …look, kids: Big Ben, Parliament…
No children, Christ. In and out for a client wedding.
just make sure you plan ahead to “get left” at the roundabouts ;)
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I spent a summer in South Kensington a while back and it was a great spot near a couple big time museums and also walkable to Hyde Park - and walkable to the tube which could get you quickly to more touristy spots.

One night? And that means you're having dinner at the wedding and not getting to eat out in London?
At least take a day and make it two - and, as mjl mentioned, get some Indian food.

( also, pubs close way earlier than you think they should, and the tube closes not soon after that - but taking a black cab is an experience of its own )
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

speaking of Indian food and London…there has been a recent debate on the history of tikka masala and whether it is a traditional Indian dish or a colonial construct