Thu 8:57 CT Texas Southern/Texas A&M-CC

Kansas Basketball.
NDballer13

Re: Thu 8:57 CT Texas Southern/Texas A&M-CC

Post by NDballer13 »

I would actually love to hear the opinion of a former player who won a 16v16 First Four game. What was the mood like before, during, after the game? I have to assume that no matter who you beat, moving your sticker to the next round in the locker room is a pretty cool feeling. Much better than sitting silently after losing by 40 points to a 1 seed. I also highly doubt they look back at the experience and say "well, we didn't really make the tourney. We only played in Dayton."
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:44 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:42 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:36 am I am also of the opinion that all 16-seeds should get to go to the regional sites without a play-in game. Dayton just can’t be the same experience.
Indiana and Notre Dame etc don't need to be in the tournament imo. We don't need to MAKE room for even MORE mediocre power conference teams all in the name of money.
I agree, but entertainment/ratings/gambling have long been the big goal with this thing.
Yes and it's a shame. The NCAA tournament is a terrible way to determine a national champion. But the idea is that every conference is included and has a "chance" and that is admirable.

We don't need even more bubble teams making the tournament. Especially big conference teams that had every opportunity to earn an auto bid and failed to do so.
Deleted User 863

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:47 pm I would actually love to hear the opinion of a former player who won a 16v16 First Four game. What was the mood like before, during, after the game? I have to assume that no matter who you beat, moving your sticker to the next round in the locker room is a pretty cool feeling. Much better than sitting silently after losing by 40 points to a 1 seed. I also highly doubt they look back at the experience and say "well, we didn't really make the tourney. We only played in Dayton."
If i can still change my bracket picks then the tournament hasn't started.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:50 pm The NCAA tournament is a terrible way to determine a national champion.
the mens basketball tournament is the greatest sporting event on the world.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:51 pm If i can still change my bracket picks then the tournament hasn't started.
checkmate. game. set. match.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:47 pm I also highly doubt they look back at the experience and say "well, we didn't really make the tourney. We only played in Dayton."
I don't know that anyone would say that, but I don't think you need to be a player to understand the difference between the Dayton mini tourney and going to a first round site with all the fans, glitz, glamour, etc. Even if you lose first round, you can extend it into the weekend, and teams will often stay over at least another day.

Just being in the tournament around that atmosphere is the prize for the small school, and I don't think you need to be a player to see that only getting a trip to Dayton 2 days after Selection Sunday cheapens that experience.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:51 pm
NDballer13 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:47 pm I would actually love to hear the opinion of a former player who won a 16v16 First Four game. What was the mood like before, during, after the game? I have to assume that no matter who you beat, moving your sticker to the next round in the locker room is a pretty cool feeling. Much better than sitting silently after losing by 40 points to a 1 seed. I also highly doubt they look back at the experience and say "well, we didn't really make the tourney. We only played in Dayton."
If i can still change my bracket picks then the tournament hasn't started.
That's not far off from the casual fan who says the regular season doesn't count and the tourney is the only thing that matters. The first round is filled with a bunch of teams that have no chance of winning, so for me the tournament doesn't start until at least the Round of 32. Hell, even then there's a few that still don't have a chance. Might as well make the official start the Sweet 16. Does that work since any one can pick when they want the actual tournament to start?

You don't want more mediocre teams watering down the field. I get that. It's just odd to argue that while saying even worse teams should be in the Round of 64, automatic qualifiers or not. Did the single play in game bother you this much, or just since they added the First Four?
Deleted User 863

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:53 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:50 pm The NCAA tournament is a terrible way to determine a national champion.
Agree completely. But still not great at determining the "best" team. But any team that wins 6 in that crap shoot does definitely deserve to call themselves a champion.

For instance, i think the NBA playoffs are fantastic at determining a champion.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:38 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:31 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:18 am

No. Now 1 of the 16 seeds doesn't even get to play a real tournament game because we need Indiana and Notre Dame fans to feel included. It's all about catering to big conference bubble teams to make some extra $$$.

This isn't a hard argument to understand imo.
All participants in First Four games get a real tournament check that is the exact same amount as what KU will get for tomorrow's game, they get a real tournament appearance and they get a game that is 99.9% more winnable. You're correct, it's not hard to understand at all.
I think you're having a very hard time understanding what is being argued here.

It's not about texas southern or whoever getting a check.
I understand just fine. It just doesn't matter who you think should or should not be in the tourney. The ncaa wanted more money so they create 4 more games and in order to get that to happen they had to get both parties (P5 schools and the little guys) to agree to be represented 50/50 in the games. To make that palatable, they treat them as regular games and pay for them as regular games. And I don't hear anyone but message board ninnies whining about it. The little schools seem to be fine taking their additional money and playing in what has developed into a great atmosphere in Dayton from what it sounds like.

The tournament is not getting smaller and P5 schools will never agree to be all 8 teams in the First Four rounds no matter how much you think they should be.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:03 pm
Agree completely. But still not great at determining the "best" team. But any team that wins 6 in that crap shoot does definitely deserve to call themselves a champion.

It isn't designed to determine the best team on the season, nor is that the goal.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

The way the direction of this thread is going vs the March Madness 2022 thread is the exact opposite. This thread is talking about tournament as a whole, the March Madness 2022 thread is talking about Kansas and success/failure.

It's ridiculous.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

So you're saying we are proceeding as usual? The good news is that we'll have an actual Game Day thread to chat about our match up with a terrible 16 seed tomorrow. So glad we're almost there.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:05 pm It just doesn't matter who you think should or should not be [insert topic here]
Noted.

Can't wait to use this line on the appropriate portions of this messageboard moving forward.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:07 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:03 pm

It isn't designed to determine the best team on the season, nor is that the goal.
You're right. It's designed to make the NCAA $$$. That's the main purpose.

Thankfully the NCAA gets everything right, so no use complaining about them on a messageboard and sharing thoughts on how they could make things better....amirite?
Deleted User 863

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:20 pm The way the direction of this thread is going vs the March Madness 2022 thread is the exact opposite. This thread is talking about tournament as a whole, the March Madness 2022 thread is talking about Kansas and success/failure.

It's ridiculous.
My apologies.

My original complaint or grievance was about these 2 teams being in the situation they were in of a play in game after already auto qualifying for the mens national basketball tournament.

Was not aware that you were so bothered by threads getting slightly off topic. LOL
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

What an incredibly stupid ass, white trash thing to say.
Deleted User 863

Oh my, that escalated quickly.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Newton.
You starting the game thread tomorrow I'm hoping.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Wouldn’t do it any other way.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Got my ticket for S2 tomorrow night. Suite w/ food and drinks provided! I’m stoked. Haven’t gotten to see the team this year… Hoping to turnaround and take my 6yo on Saturday. Dickies is a really nice venue. It’s basically a mini AAC.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦