Automobiles

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Automobiles

Post by KUTradition »

i’m with you

we got our camry in 2012, used with 35K miles. it’s now at about 160,000 with no signs of letting up. it’s fuel efficient, low maintenance and safe…and fully paid off.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

any thoughts on carvana?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:01 pm any thoughts on carvana?
Whether on the buy or sell side, it's fine so long as you're comfortable with the trade-off. In exchange for a worse economic deal, you're getting convenience and control.

Nothing wrong at all with that - I'd imagine each of us chooses that in something, every single day.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:49 pm
Whether on the buy or sell side, it's fine so long as you're comfortable with the trade-off. In exchange for a worse economic deal, you're getting convenience and control.

Nothing wrong at all with that - I'd imagine each of us chooses that in something, every single day.
for the vehicle i’m looking for, it’s one of the few options…and better than traveling myself and buying out-of-state

it seems like a decent option with warrantees and 7-day return policy, but it’s also something i don’t wanna take lightly since i’ll be on the hook for a decent chunk of change
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:26 pm Yeah, I was originally hopeful that 2023 would be feasible but it's looking more like 2024 or later. I also want to run my current vehicle into the ground so I have plenty of time. Only 115k on it and I mostly fly and rent cars for work. It could probably last another 6-8 years if I really wanted it to.

The other benefit to waiting until my current car dies is that I could probably pay off the house in that same 6-8 year window.

But, damnit, I WANT that fucking truck. :)
My warranty goes to 7/100,000, whatever comes first, and I anticipate getting my car at 6.5 years/95,000 miles, whatever comes first.

I also have the unique joys of being in the kid car game, as soon as this time next year. Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:55 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:49 pm

for the vehicle i’m looking for, it’s one of the few options…and better than traveling myself and buying out-of-state

it seems like a decent option with warrantees and 7-day return policy, but it’s also something i don’t wanna take lightly since i’ll be on the hook for a decent chunk of change
Every situation is different. Last car I bought, I knew exactly what I wanted (down to the trim lines/options/etc.), and the combination didn't exist here in town.

So I drove iterations of it here, such that I knew I liked it. Then I found the precise combination I wanted at a dealership in Chicago, and paid a few hundred bucks to have it shipped.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Sold my last vehicle to them. Super easy and you'll probably get more from them than a dealership on trade...
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:55 pm for the vehicle i’m looking for, it’s one of the few options…and better than traveling myself and buying out-of-state
they must have a decent selection of ev's. i'll keep that in mind.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:22 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:55 pm for the vehicle i’m looking for, it’s one of the few options…and better than traveling myself and buying out-of-state
they must have a decent selection of ev's. i'll keep that in mind.
nope

you and illy inspired me to embrace selfishness, so i scraped the idea of trying to do my part and am now looking at just buying a bigger, more obnoxious full-size truck

the wife and are also scrapping carpooling, because….wtf not

we’ll both be rolling at 10-16 mpg
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:11 pm
Cascadia wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:26 pm Yeah, I was originally hopeful that 2023 would be feasible but it's looking more like 2024 or later. I also want to run my current vehicle into the ground so I have plenty of time. Only 115k on it and I mostly fly and rent cars for work. It could probably last another 6-8 years if I really wanted it to.

The other benefit to waiting until my current car dies is that I could probably pay off the house in that same 6-8 year window.

My warranty goes to 7/100,000, whatever comes first, and I anticipate getting my car at 6.5 years/95,000 miles, whatever comes first.

I also have the unique joys of being in the kid car game, as soon as this time next year. Ugh.
Get the kid a real POS!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:48 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:11 pm

Get the kid a real POS!
Need to find the sweet spot. Have another one three years behind the first, so hopefully I can get away with a single car for both of them.
shindig

Post by shindig »

So I thought used car prices were dropping. I took my 2015 Audi A4 in for a recall, and they offered to buy it for more than I paid for it in 2019. Granted it only has 36k miles, but damn. I mean it was only a couple thousand more, but I declined since it’s paid for. I looked at a new A4, yeah a few more bells and whistles, but $48K? Yeah, no thanks. I love not having a car payment.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Saw a Tesla this morning with the vanity plate: C02NOMO

Obnoxious.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the tesla folks seem to be a notch above the first generation of prius buyers, and epitomize the related south park episode
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Does this go here? Starbucks partnering with Volvo for charging stations from denver to Seattle. Volvo branded chargers--are the connectors universal?

My wife is now talking about having an electric car when we move to the Empire. They have a public charging station in the park right across the street.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/volv ... 022-03-15/
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

My wife loves her XC40R.
Her best friend just bought an XC60 hybrid, that thing is badass to drive.

Now the wife is kicking around the idea of buying a XC40 recharge.

Newer Volvos are seriously under rated
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

defixione wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:41 am Does this go here? Starbucks partnering with Volvo for charging stations from denver to Seattle. Volvo branded chargers--are the connectors universal?

My wife is now talking about having an electric car when we move to the Empire. They have a public charging station in the park right across the street.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/volv ... 022-03-15/
This guy right here has been buying up chargepoint holdings stock (Chpt) off and on since September. They seem to be one of the companies most well positioned to be the new age "gas station" giant. Some of these types of companies will have to pop if we truly see a large transition to ev's in the near future.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:29 am the tesla folks seem to be a notch above the first generation of prius buyers, and epitomize the related south park episode
Be careful, we have a jeep nerd lurking around here. They're not much better than the tesla folks I hear.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:29 pm My wife loves her XC40R.
Her best friend just bought an XC60 hybrid, that thing is badass to drive.

Now the wife is kicking around the idea of buying a XC40 recharge.

Newer Volvos are seriously under rated
I have an XC90. Really happy with it. It's a few years old now, and still on par (technology-wise) with the stuff even the Germans are selling new now.

The only real drawback (which is very much a your-mileage-may-vary thing) is that if you don't get the hybrid (I did not), there are only four-cylinder options. Power is quite ample (by way of twin chargers), but it's whiny if you really go to the whip.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Barely a month goes by that a stranger does not ask me if they can buy my car. I used to tell them it has a salvage title but quickly learned that that was not a turnoff. I know I could sell it for more than I paid and it has been in two accidents since I got it (used, maybe 7-8 years ago). 2005 Honda Element. I have started leaving it in the garage more since public transport is just so convenient.