Game 40: Kansas (-4.5) vs. North Carolina, 8:20, TBS

Kansas Basketball.
hoopla

Re: Game 40: Kansas (-4.5) vs. North Carolina, 8:20, TBS

Post by hoopla »

dolomite wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:30 pm I can easily see a blow out against the tar heels Monday night, like we did in (was it the ‘08 tournament?). Jayhawks definitely on a roll now.
Signed, Dolomite (the original Imzcount.)
i love your optimism
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:46 am We have not played a team like North Carolina this season. The closest might be St Johns, who drive the pace, but can’t shoot or rebound like Carolina.

The good news is we are the fastest team in the Big 12 and would be even faster if all the other teams in our conference didn’t slow the pace to a crawl.
I would (hopefully) argue they haven’t seen someone that can run with them, and guard.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

It would not surprise me to see a 50 to 50 halftime score.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:52 am
pdub wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:46 am We have not played a team like North Carolina this season. The closest might be St Johns, who drive the pace, but can’t shoot or rebound like Carolina.

The good news is we are the fastest team in the Big 12 and would be even faster if all the other teams in our conference didn’t slow the pace to a crawl.
I would (hopefully) argue they haven’t seen someone that can run with them, and guard.
No.
But they’ve played similar teams to them in Marquette and Wake.

They got stomped by Wake some time ago. They stomped Marquette to open this tournament. Neither of those teams are as good on offense or defense as we.
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

was just looking at their schedule, didn't remember UNC lost to UK in December, a blowout 98-69. we have that in common i guess, can't imagine that discussion on the wildcat boards. these guys also lost to miami by almost 30 not so long ago. i'm hoping we're locked in again.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

They are the poster boy for this tournaments flaws. Get hot at the right time. UConnesque.

We play our best and we beat these dudes, no issue.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... h-carolina

Lot of exciting stuff in here.

Lunardi:

"Kansas would have beaten Villanova in the semifinals even if Wildcats guard Justin Moore had been healthy. The Jayhawks would have beaten any team in this tournament with their play these past two games. One has to think North Carolina will need to be nearly perfect to prevent a Kansas championship."

I agree with this but I think it's more which of the two guys pick up fouls -- or do they let them play:

"Lunardi: It has to be Armando Bacot, or, more specifically, his injured ankle. North Carolina will have its hands full with KU big man David McCormack if Bacot is healthy. If he's limited, which sure seems likely, I'm not sure there is enough length or enough fouls in the Carolina frontcourt to keep McCormack from carving up the lane."
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Lunardi has always been a closet type of Jayhawk fan. Love Lunardi
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:55 am It would not surprise me to see a 50 to 50 halftime score.
as long as the result is the same as our last 50-50 halftime score...Im good with it

"and Newton now....these Jayhawks are on FIRE here tonight"
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the kids have set us up for the shortest offseason possible. I like that.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:56 am https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... h-carolina

Lot of exciting stuff in here.

Lunardi:

"Kansas would have beaten Villanova in the semifinals even if Wildcats guard Justin Moore had been healthy. The Jayhawks would have beaten any team in this tournament with their play these past two games. One has to think North Carolina will need to be nearly perfect to prevent a Kansas championship."

I agree with this but I think it's more which of the two guys pick up fouls -- or do they let them play:

"Lunardi: It has to be Armando Bacot, or, more specifically, his injured ankle. North Carolina will have its hands full with KU big man David McCormack if Bacot is healthy. If he's limited, which sure seems likely, I'm not sure there is enough length or enough fouls in the Carolina frontcourt to keep McCormack from carving up the lane."
Getting hard for me to see a bad result tonight without a lopsided shooting situation.
kubowler99

Post by kubowler99 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:40 am
Getting hard for me to see a bad result tonight without a lopsided shooting situation.
Keeping Caleb Love from doing another Ja Morant or Buddy Hield impression would be great.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

So I'm really curious what Self does on defense.

Do we switch 4 positions again and just have Dave shadow Bacot or do try to stay straight up on their specific guy?

I think Bill switches everything still. Watch for Remy tonight. This might be a game that is perfect for him. Up and down like crazy.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

This game will see tons of subs. Hate that it is on Monday. Just such a weird tradition.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I want to say this might be the perfect game for most of our guys.
Braun loves to attack the basket.
Jalen can push the ball.
Ochai too.

But then you say, well, we don't do it like UNC does and haven't played a team like them, so you can't be totally sure.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Sparko wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:08 am This game will see tons of subs. Hate that it is on Monday. Just such a weird tradition.
Final Four is what the entire year is built towards. Networks aren't going to waste that on a Thursday so we can get a Saturday title game.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:08 am This game will see tons of subs. Hate that it is on Monday. Just such a weird tradition.
Will it, though? We play seven guys right now, and Carolina barely ever goes to their bench.

Again, need to make Bacot and Manek move a lot on defense, in the hopes of getting them into foul trouble.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:08 am I want to say this might be the perfect game for most of our guys.
Braun loves to attack the basket.
Jalen can push the ball.
Ochai too.

But then you say, well, we don't do it like UNC does and haven't played a team like them, so you can't be totally sure.
I think whoever Manek is guarding is going to be the biggest X factor in the game. Either CB or Wilson will be put in a position to attack off the dribble a lot. He can't guard either one of them. Bacot isn't 100%, so his rotations might even be half a step slower. Could result in and easy foul or two if he tries to contest on the help side. Otherwise it's an open lay up when he realizes he won't get there in time and stays home on Dave.

CB/Wilson driving, Dave in the short corner/block, Och in the opposite corner. I'd love to see that a bunch and would LOVE KU's chances.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think there's a chance we get into JCL tonight if our other guys go through a cold spell.

But even that doesn't seem highly likely--we know who our 7 guys are.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I see 1988 again. Use fresh legs and run.