Government Shut-Down Thread

Ugh.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: Government Shut-Down Thread

Post by DCHawk1 »

Jussayin.

Just because the House passes something, that doesn't mean the Senate is being intransigent in not passing it.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

lulz, BTW

Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

kubandalum wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:14 pm
Geezer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:45 am The "Wall" has from the start been about white supremacy and fear of brown people.
BS. Anyone overstays a visa, deport them and deny them future visas. People who take all the trouble it takes to come here legally and become citizens are heroes.

When you meet people who have done all that, do you laugh at them or something?
My mom worked for the federal courts and used to do some function during the naturalization ceremony. I remember going when my childhood pediatrician was naturalized. Very cool to see in person. Heroes indeed. My pediatrician likely saved my life.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Geezer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:45 am The "Wall" has from the start been about white supremacy and fear of brown people.
BS. Anyone overstays a visa, deport them and deny them future visas. People who take all the trouble it takes to come here legally and become citizens are heroes.

Do pray tell how The Wall prevents people overstaying a visa? First, by virtue of them possessing a visa and the stay permitted thereof they entered the country legally. I thought The Wall was to prevent illegal entry????????? Try fact-based arguments!

BTW, thanks for considering me a hero.....my path from a student visa to a skilled worker to permanent residency and eventually citizenship was (relatively) straighforward. The trouble was collecting all the documents and remembering the dates I was out of the country! Well that, and applying and getting accepted into grad school from outside the country, at a time when everything had to be done by relying on the postal system of two countries. None of that rises to anything remotely heroic.
Deleted User 75

Heroic. We love you. You're the type of an American that makes America great.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:22 pm lulz, BTW

Your source for those stats also produces such fine articles as this: https://www.cato.org/blog/potential-bor ... compromise

"If you must fund the wall in exchange for the DREAM Act or DACA, have Border Patrol pay for it.

This idea is simple in concept – just fire Border Patrol agents and use their saved salaries to fund the construction of the border wall. As of the middle of 2018, the 19,338 Border Patrol agents had an average annual salary of $61,064. Altogether, they were paid about $1.18 billion in 2018. The savings from firing all of them in one year wouldn’t come close to funding the $25 billion or so to build the entire border wall and would only go a small portion of the way toward President Trump’s more modest $5 billion request, but it’s a start."

They've got all sorts of interesting articles on their site.
Deleted User 75

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:58 pm

Your source for those stats
The sources are listed underneath the graph and includes many "reputable" left leaning media outlets.

What opinion pieces whatever site that are from also post are pretty irrelevant to stats, right?

Facts and opinions are different.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:07 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:58 pm

Your source for those stats
The sources are listed underneath the graph and includes many "reputable" left leaning media outlets.

What opinion pieces whatever site that are from also post are pretty irrelevant to stats, right?

Facts and opinions are different.
Nope. Stats by themselves are facts but can be used and manipulated to support a wide range of opinions. It's why I dont trust " stats" like that with no link to reference them. Who knows what polls they combined to create that chart.
Deleted User 75

Who needs stats when you've got feelings to trust. ;-)
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

So what? The "Wall" has not been a Dem favorite. Since Bone Spurs arrival it has lost nearly all dem support.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 75

Then be genuine and just say you're not going to support anything Trump wants because you hate him...I could respect that a lot more than pretending this is about things that it's not...and the right certainly did some of that to Obama, so I'm sure there's a payback aspect to it for some.

Look at the Republican line of that graph. All of a sudden it's at that level becase of white supremacy and being scared of "brown" people? I say that's bullshit. Even if the president is problematic as shit when it comes to anything race related.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:01 pm

My pediatrician likely saved my life.
Pulled your thumbs out of your ass?
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

seahawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:18 am So, let's figure out a way that the acceptable white people who've overstayed their visas can get special status, because after all...they're white.
Had this quote and Geezer’s combined in my head when I answered about visa overstays. They’re both the same thought: “Racism, racism, racism...”

I consider supporters of illegal immigration to be spitting on those who do it the hard way.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Deleted User 62

Who the hell said that they are supporters of illegal immigration?
Deleted User 75

Oh boy...Here we go....plano's sauced up and ready to argue....

;-)
Deleted User 62

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:33 pm Oh boy...Here we go....plano's sauced up and ready to argue....

;-)
Who knew you would chime in?
kubandalum

Post by kubandalum »

zsn wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:01 pm

Do pray tell how The Wall prevents people overstaying a visa? First, by virtue of them possessing a visa and the stay permitted thereof they entered the country legally. I thought The Wall was to prevent illegal entry????????? Try fact-based arguments!

BTW, thanks for considering me a hero.....my path from a student visa to a skilled worker to permanent residency and eventually citizenship was (relatively) straighforward. The trouble was collecting all the documents and remembering the dates I was out of the country! Well that, and applying and getting accepted into grad school from outside the country, at a time when everything had to be done by relying on the postal system of two countries. None of that rises to anything remotely heroic.
Still a hero to me for actually wanting to become an American and doing it the right way. A good friend of mine who fled Iran was so proud the day he received his American passport. Another fled Vietnam by stealing a helicopter after the fall of Saigon. Also have naturalized-citizen friends from the Philippines, Democratic Republic of the Congo (Zaire), Mexico, and Armenia.
“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Deleted User 75

kubandalum wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:46 pm

Still a hero to me for actually wanting to become an American and doing it the right way. A good friend of mine who fled Iran was so proud the day he received his American passport. Another fled Vietnam by stealing a helicopter after the fall of Saigon. Also have naturalized-citizen friends from the Philippines, Democratic Republic of the Congo (Zaire), Mexico, and Armenia.
How's that even possible! Aren't you scared of all those brown people?

:-o

;-)
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Geezer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:40 pm So what? The "Wall" has not been a Dem favorite. Since Bone Spurs arrival it has lost nearly all dem support.
Your morality is conditional.

No news here.
Deleted User 62

kubandalum wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:46 pm

Iran, Democratic Republic of the Congo (Zaire), Mexico, and Armenia.
What would be the odds of these same humans being able to become Americans today?