Government Shut-Down Thread

Ugh.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: Government Shut-Down Thread

Post by DCHawk1 »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:21 pm Who the hell said that they are supporters of illegal immigration?
You really should read something other than teh Grauniad
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

kubandalum wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:16 pm
seahawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:18 am So, let's figure out a way that the acceptable white people who've overstayed their visas can get special status, because after all...they're white.
Had this quote and Geezer’s combined in my head when I answered about visa overstays. They’re both the same thought: “Racism, racism, racism...”

I consider supporters of illegal immigration to be spitting on those who do it the hard way.
who supports illiegal immigration? do tell...
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

seahawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:18 am So, let's figure out a way that the acceptable white people who've overstayed their visas can get special status, because after all...they're white.
Had this quote and Geezer’s combined in my head when I answered about visa overstays. They’re both the same thought: “Racism, racism, racism...”

I consider supporters of illegal immigration to be spitting on those who do it the hard way.
No one is supporting illegal immigration. That's ridiculous.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Geezer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:40 pm So what? The "Wall" has not been a Dem favorite. Since Bone Spurs arrival it has lost nearly all dem support.
Apparently, the Dems learned their lesson with all the money they approved to be spent on a wall in 2013 and 2006. It doesn't do what supporters claim it does. There's been enough time since those efforts to review the results and the data and recognize it.

Time to try some more advanced methods. I am all for spending money on our Southern Border. Just do it wisely.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:17 pm
kubandalum wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:46 pm
zsn wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:01 pm

Do pray tell how The Wall prevents people overstaying a visa? First, by virtue of them possessing a visa and the stay permitted thereof they entered the country legally. I thought The Wall was to prevent illegal entry????????? Try fact-based arguments!

BTW, thanks for considering me a hero.....my path from a student visa to a skilled worker to permanent residency and eventually citizenship was (relatively) straighforward. The trouble was collecting all the documents and remembering the dates I was out of the country! Well that, and applying and getting accepted into grad school from outside the country, at a time when everything had to be done by relying on the postal system of two countries. None of that rises to anything remotely heroic.
Iran, Democratic Republic of the Congo (Zaire), Mexico, and Armenia.
What would be the odds of these same humans being able to become Americans today?
Hmm. People become American citizens everyday? So without exact stats and knowledge of these peoples paths I'm going to venture that the odds are similar. You're taking a pretty extreme stance here....much like the far right - wall or nothing nuts.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:19 am

There is a section of leftists that sre pushing for completely open borders. We've beem over this. Its a small portion of fairly far leaning liberals. Although, if the borders are totally open then I guess no one would be illegal soooo....i guess technically maybe noone is supporting "illegal immigration".

Look. The wall is ridiculous. But, border security is important.

Can we just all agree on that and move to a new topic? 24 pages proves we arent all going to agree on how to accomplish security. Apparently no one can. Hence this goddamn retarded shutdown which is preventing our nation from moving forward and serving the people as it is intended to do.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

TDub for the win!
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:43 am

There is a section of leftists that sre pushing for completely open borders. We've beem over this. Its a small portion of fairly far leaning liberals. Although, if the borders are totally open then I guess no one would be illegal soooo....i guess technically maybe noone is supporting "illegal immigration".

Can we just all agree on that and move to a new topic? 24 pages proves we arent all going to agree on how to accomplish security. Apparently no one can. Hence this goddamn retarded shutdown which is preventing our nation from moving forward and serving the people as it is intended to do.
And there's probably a small section on the right who think we should end ALL immigration into our country. Dont project the foolish ideas of an extreme sliver on the larger group. No one HERE is calling for fully open borders.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

And congressional Dems agree with you that the wall is ridiculous and that border security is important. That is the message they have been consistently repeating throughout this nonsense.
Deleted User 89

much like saying those who are pro-choice are pro-abortion
Deleted User 75

twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:27 am And congressional Dems agree with you that the wall is ridiculous and that border security is important. That is the message they have been consistently repeating throughout this nonsense.
There was a Democrat on CNN last night saying "of course portions of the border having a wall or barrier absolutely makes sense. We (Dems) have agreed with that all along."
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:25 am
TDub wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:43 am

And there's probably a small section on the right who think we should end ALL immigration into our country. Dont project the foolish ideas of an extreme sliver on the larger group. No one HERE is calling for fully open borders.
This is hilarious.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:29 am much like saying those who are pro-choice are pro-abortion
You should check out PP's new marketing campaign.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:35 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:27 am And congressional Dems agree with you that the wall is ridiculous and that border security is important. That is the message they have been consistently repeating throughout this nonsense.
There was a Democrat on CNN last night saying "of course portions of the border having a wall or barrier absolutely makes sense. We (Dems) have agreed with that all along."
Sorry, Mr. Literal. It appears that Congressional Dems believe that spending $5+ billion on almost exclusively building additional wall is ridiculous.
Deleted User 75

twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:23 am
Sorry, Mr. Literal. It appears that Congressional Dems believe that spending $5+ billion on almost exclusively building additional wall is ridiculous.
And to be completely honest I agree with them....I don't think the majority of the focus should be on a "wall"....but there needs to be barriers in certain places.... I'm more interested in additional staffing for border patrol, additional staffing for processing asylum seekers, added technology, etc.

We need to make it hard for people to get into the country illegally....but we also need to make the legal immigration process more efficient and effective.

Sounds reasonable enough, right?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:40 am

And to be completely honest I agree with them....I don't think the majority of the focus should be on a "wall"....but there needs to be barriers in certain places.... I'm more interested in additional staffing for border patrol, additional staffing for processing asylum seekers, added technology, etc.

We need to make it hard for people to get into the country illegally....but we also need to make the legal immigration process more efficient and effective.

It sounds like the Dems stance on the topic. Yes, it sounds reasonable.
Deleted User 75

twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:05 am

Mr. Literal wanted to let you know that's "some" of the Dems stance, not all.

Also, that's "some" of the Repubs stance too.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:28 am

Did I miss an announcement that a Dem was switching over and supporting Trump's wall plan? It's been very busy at work so I haven't been reading stuff this week.

Shoot me a link, please.
Deleted User 75

twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:53 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:28 am

Did I miss an announcement that a Dem was switching over and supporting Trump's wall plan? It's been very busy at work so I haven't been reading stuff this week.

Shoot me a link, please.
Not that I've seen...but some don't want any barriers at all. That's what I was referencing.
Deleted User 89

so, some want to remove existing barriers?