Official Big 12 Game Thread #5 - KU vs. Texas

Kansas Basketball.
Soklous

Re: Official Big 12 Game Thread #5 - KU vs. Texas

Post by Soklous »

2nd best part of last night behind Booths stink nose. Classic. Responding to question about “like to see more scoring from Garrett like that”

https://twitter.com/gifhawk/status/1085 ... 97120?s=21
I am, I said.
columbusdjkc

Post by columbusdjkc »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:12 am
columbusdjkc wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:03 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:01 am
This is assuming that the play as it played out was the play he called for. It looked like he drew up a play and when our defense prevented it, Texas did not have a clear idea of Plan B, C etc... that's where the limitations of a poor play caller/coach affect results. Self's teams almost always have an understanding of what to do if Plan A isnt there.
According to Shaka’s post game they did not run the play he drew up to end the game. Didn’t get it to the guy they wanted to from the start.
That is seemingly supported by 2 or 3 guys throwing their hands up and looking around like "wtf you doing" to each other.

Too bad. So sad.
LOL Yeah that was pretty funny too.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Self took the time out there. I think in 99% of cases, that's probably the wrong move, you just give the other team a chance to set up a play. But when you have Shaka Dumb on the other bench, you are probably pretty confident not only that you can set up the defense you want, but that the play he's gonna draw up is gonna be shitty.

Taking a TO there is, in my opinion, probably only a good move if you're playing Dumb or Liberace. Kudos to Self for recognizing that.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Crazy the way teams have shot the ball late against KU. Baylor even had a hang-over to beat OSU. And yet, the W. It didn’t seem to matter if they were guarded during that last spurt.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Sparko wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:51 pm Crazy the way teams have shot the ball late against KU. Baylor even had a hang-over to beat OSU. And yet, the W. It didn’t seem to matter if they were guarded during that last spurt.
Well, that's not all that's happened in the last 4 minutes of the last two games. Not getting back on D with 20 seconds left after a FT after a TO last night, or throwing the ball to the other team.

Hot shooting would have made both games closer, but not as close as they got if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

A few of our late offensive possessions were awful....a Garrett 3 and then Garrett free throws. Have to get the ball to someone else in those instances.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:15 pm A few of our late offensive possessions were awful....a Garrett 3 and then Garrett free throws. Have to get the ball to someone else in those instances.

Self blamed Dotson and Vick for not getting open. We should have got the ball into better shooters hands. Cant blame Garrett for getting open. Can’t fault Ochai for getting the ball in.

“We can do better with that”
I am, I said.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:10 pm
Sparko wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:51 pm Crazy the way teams have shot the ball late against KU. Baylor even had a hang-over to beat OSU. And yet, the W. It didn’t seem to matter if they were guarded during that last spurt.
Well, that's not all that's happened in the last 4 minutes of the last two games. Not getting back on D with 20 seconds left after a FT after a TO last night, or throwing the ball to the other team.

Hot shooting would have made both games closer, but not as close as they got if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot.
too many points left at the line
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Soklous wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:40 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:15 pm A few of our late offensive possessions were awful....a Garrett 3 and then Garrett free throws. Have to get the ball to someone else in those instances.

Self blamed Dotson and Vick for not getting open. We should have got the ball into better shooters hands. Cant blame Garrett for getting open. Can’t fault Ochai for getting the ball in.

“We can do better with that”
^^^^^^
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

What PhD says is true--there was bad hustle and defense on a few of those, but they went from 0-9 to 5 for five and were shooting from 30+ feet out. Weird. Then there were the bricked KU FTs which were really why the game was even close even after that hot stretch. I had to grab the emergency lucky Nerf ball on the last possession. Was not happy about it.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

With the night Garrett had, I don't know why he would neccesarily be a bad choice to take the shot.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:36 pm With the night Garrett had, I don't know why he would neccesarily be a bad choice to take the shot.
Because even after last night he's shooting 27% from 3.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Didn't look it last night.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

Soklous wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:05 am 2nd best part of last night behind Booths stink nose. Classic. Responding to question about “like to see more scoring from Garrett like that”

https://twitter.com/gifhawk/status/1085 ... 97120?s=21
That has to be one of the most annoying parts of his jobs. Always having to be patient and polite with people who ask stupid questions.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Quick question, following the buzzer and immediately before the tip, our starters tap knuckles with the seated refs, scorekeepers, etc. ESPN showed Dedric doing this last night. He was also first bumping fans in the seats right behind the officials. That’s just being polite, right? That is not fist bumps to Lawrence slumlords and mafia, right?