Bill Self w/ 2

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Bill Self w/ 2

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:50 amPartly on Remy. Partly on Self.
It's not on either of them. Of course a new player is going to be an awkward fit in the first 10 games of the season. That's the nature of being a new player. The only way to fix that is with reps--there are endless examples of this in every program's history including ours under Bill.

What is revisionist history is a good part of this board ignoring the injury altogether. As if the games that Remy missed or barely played in were not the aberration of his entire career. It's the weirdest thing, but clearly people picked out who they were going to credit for any success this season before the season even started.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I guess I haven't seen people give Remy little or no credit for our teams success. Or completely ignore the injury.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"What is revisionist history is a good part of this board ignoring the injury altogether...It's the weirdest thing, but clearly people picked out who they were going to credit for any success this season before the season even started."

You were all aboard on team Remy - saying it was going to be his team - before the season started.

And regarding ignoring the injury altogether - it's been hypocritical of some other posters here who were calling Dave's foot injury an excuse for his poor performance in the middle of the season but blaming Remy's struggles on his knee.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:12 am I guess I haven't seen people give Remy little or no credit for our teams success. Or completely ignore the injury.
Right.
Just because some of us realize there were more important players on our team than him doesn't mean that he didn't have a good NCAA run and was key to us winning.

I don't think Remy's struggles were just because of his knee.
I don't think Dave's struggles were just because of his foot.
But both played a part in them not being their best.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:12 am I guess I haven't seen people give Remy little or no credit for our teams success. Or completely ignore the injury.
Any positive Remy post gets met with a host of "Yeah, but" replies. At least some made it known before the season started that he would never be their cup of tea. Most, though, saw that this group of players before Remy committed was just a little too conventional to rattle off 6 wins in a row.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You are full team Remy and committed to it before he played a minute here.
So when you say Remy was the reason - "Remergy was the cure" - we got over the hump to the National Title, I just can't agree it was just that. It was, I think, more importantly because our players here improved so much.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:50 am The Remy legacy changed a ton due to the tournament. As it should.

But it is sort of revisionist history to say injuries were the sole reason for his struggles. They weren't. Even before them when he was putting up good numbers it was clear he was struggling to fit in and make the team better. He could get his, but not within the flow and structure of what we do. On both ends of the court.

Partly on Remy. Partly on Self.

But in the end, his legacy is defined by being a national champion. As it should be. We don't win it without him.
The light needed to come on for both Remy and Bill, in order for this team to play to its ceiling.

It's impossible to know whether that would have happened had Remy not got hurt; it's certainly possible to find examples over the years of healthy guys who just get disappeared (in favor of less-talented but more trustworthy alternatives) because they never get it (and/or Bill never gets them).

Diallo is one obvious example, and Oubre to a lesser extent. Selby doesn't count because he never did get healthy.

Remy's complete absence required Bill to come to grips with that not being an option, given the rest of the pieces on the roster.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think that perhaps the best thing to happen to this team was getting absolutely exposed by UK in AFH.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:58 am I think that perhaps the best thing to happen to this team was getting absolutely exposed by UK in AFH.
I mean, the best thing that happened to this team was, for whatever combination of reasons, getting and using the right way a healthy Remy.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:49 am You are full team Remy and committed to it before he played a minute here.
So when you say Remy was the reason - "Remergy was the cure" - we got over the hump to the National Title, I just can't agree it was just that. It was, I think, more importantly because our players here improved so much.
This year more than any I can remember was a full team effort.

Take anyone away that played a major role, other than maybe Mitch (because KJ), and we don't win a national title.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:01 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:58 am I think that perhaps the best thing to happen to this team was getting absolutely exposed by UK in AFH.
I mean, the best thing that happened to this team was, for whatever combination of reasons, getting and using the right way a healthy Remy.
I would agree because that was so much the last piece to reaching the team's ceiling. The UK game was in that "combination of reasons." But, man, I also think that game woke Bill, Och, CB, et al. up.

If my memory is correct, right after that Bill started using Yesufu more--clearly needed to help Dajuan out whether that be Yesufu or a healthy Remy.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

rm was a cog in the machine. we had 7 cogs in the machine.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:04 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:01 am
I would agree because that was so much the last piece to reaching the team's ceiling. The UK game was in that "combination of reasons." But, man, I also think that game woke Bill, Och, CB, et al. up.

If my memory is correct, right after that Bill started using Yesufu more--clearly needed to help Dajuan out whether that be Yesufu or a healthy Remy.
You remember accurately. Yesefu had just 4 games with 10+ minutes prior to that game and 11 after that, including his season high of 23 minutes in the very next game @ Iowa State.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:30 pm Impact this season, in my opinion, cascades as:

Ochai
Braun
Dmac
Jalen
Harris
Remy

But all of them important.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:18 am
pdub wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:30 pm Impact this season, in my opinion, cascades as:

Ochai
Braun
Dmac
Jalen
Harris
Remy

lol
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He was a top 6 player for us on the season. That's not giving little or no credit.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:18 am

Ochai
Braun
Dmac
Jalen
Harris
Remy

Key word(s):

Impact.

SEASON.

All important.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Agreed. And "impact on the season" vs. "impact on the tourney" are totally different lists.

Impact in the tourney, in my "thought about it for 15 seconds" opinion, cascades as:
DMac
Remy
Agbaji
Wilson
Harris
Braun
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd swap Braun and Harris but yea, that ranking would be similar to mine.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

the irony of Remy is, without him we legit might not have made the second weekend, and we spend this offseason melting down, asking things like whether Self even still "has it," and wondering how this team woulda done if we had had a guy like Remy.