Another mass shooting

Ugh.
DrPepper

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by DrPepper »

Why allow the non-hunting weapons at all?
And allowing only the rich to have non-hunting weapons is really un American.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:35 am so some reports suggest border patrol was already pursing/engaging the shooter before he entered the school? But I dunno about that, think that's been debunked?

And the narrative that a lone border patrol agent in the area heroically ran in and got the guy. And thank the lord he did!

Was the border patrol agent on active duty? I've seen suggestions he was an off-duty agent who just happened to be in the area, though I dunno what difference that makes.

There's the question of why a city not on the border is crawling with border patrol anyway, but that's for another thread.

And there's the question of whether law enforcement can proactively do anything to prevent these sorts of things. Uvalde apparently has no shortage of Border Patrol, local cops, sheriffs, etc. already. Is throwing even more money at cops a good response here? Does that help prevent things like school shootings, or just result in things like more traffic ticket revenue?

And is ICE different from border patrol? Cuz reports that both were on the scene. Considering it's a majority hispanic school, not sure that passes the smell test. Some reports that ICE was checking papers, but let's give the benefit of the doubt and say all LEO agencies really were there only to help.

and yet, just imagine if you were a panicked parent just trying to go check on your kid whose school just got shot up, but you also suddenly have to worry that doing so might get you deported. What a country!
Uvalde is just 54 miles from the border and numerous border patrol agents and their families live there.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Serious question that I do not know the answer to: has a black person been a school shooter?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

DrPepper wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:57 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:29 am
twocoach wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:51 am

It might help in certain scenarios but it is proving out not to be THE fix to the problem.
There is no 1 single fix. Unless there is some way to go back in time and make guns not exist?
There will always be murder (Cain and Abel style), but no one does violence like the USA. So how do you explain that?
Have other countries not taken back the guns?
Have other countries not restricted who can have certain guns?
Do other countries not have well organized militias, but the general citizens are not armed with assault rifles?
More guns.
More/easier access to guns.
Mean kids, bad parents, poor mental health treatment/diagnoses.
Violent culture.

The list is long why this happens here WAY more than any other country I know of.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea. TIL the border patrol's jurisdiction extends 100 miles from the borders.

more than anything the point of that post was to give LEO the benefit of the doubt (which I did) and to express concern for the families of the victims. Maybe I didn't do a good enough job of that. Or maybe some of you guys are just conversing with some boogeyman in yer head.

Illy's "illegal immigrant" language is very telling, indeed.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:07 am

There is no 1 single fix. Unless there is some way to go back in time and make guns not exist?
There will always be murder (Cain and Abel style), but no one does violence like the USA. So how do you explain that?
Do other countries not have well organized militias, but the general citizens are not armed with assault rifles?
More guns.
Violent culture.

The list is long why this happens here WAY more than any other country I know of.
But, it's the guns.

It's other things, too, but it's the guns.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:56 am
shindig wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:47 am 19 children dead, 2 adults. This country is messed up. 18 year old shooter had an AR15 and high capacity hand gun, mostly likely a beretta or glock. How does an 18 year old buy a high capacity assault rifle and the bigger question, why are these even being made?
I cannot for the life of me understand why the country as a collective feels like average, everyday, run of the mill citizens should have unchecked access to military-grade firearms. These types of guns are made for one purpose: to kill as many people as quickly and efficiently as possible. That's why they are used in the military. Now I know the answer is money and the gun lobby. And I also understand that when you say something like this, the don't touch my guns people just argue semantics about what an AR-15 is or whatever. But whatever. There's no reason why we can't have some type of common sense process where people should have to prove they are proficient and competent enough to own a firearm. Geezus.
Because a bunch of rich, white, slave-owning racists wrote it down about 250 years and a whole line of their wannabe followers insist that they were infallible. So we sacrifice a bunch of our citizens each week to preserve that “right”.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

DrPepper wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:06 am Serious question that I do not know the answer to: has a black person been a school shooter?
Yes.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/476 ... er-s-race/
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

tejas gop doubles down, suggests more guns is the answer
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:51 am

It might help in certain scenarios but it is proving out not to be THE fix to the problem.
didn't New Zealand champion some gun buyback program in the wake of a mass shooting? And didn't it help to reduce gun violence there?

but the key operative was that some critical mass of citizens actually bought into it.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:08 am
More guns.
Violent culture.

But, it's the guns.

Bad parenting, mean kids , and mental health problems exist in other countries. Try to think for yourselves
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:04 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:35 am so some reports suggest border patrol was already pursing/engaging the shooter before he entered the school? But I dunno about that, think that's been debunked?

And the narrative that a lone border patrol agent in the area heroically ran in and got the guy. And thank the lord he did!

Was the border patrol agent on active duty? I've seen suggestions he was an off-duty agent who just happened to be in the area, though I dunno what difference that makes.

There's the question of why a city not on the border is crawling with border patrol anyway, but that's for another thread.

And there's the question of whether law enforcement can proactively do anything to prevent these sorts of things. Uvalde apparently has no shortage of Border Patrol, local cops, sheriffs, etc. already. Is throwing even more money at cops a good response here? Does that help prevent things like school shootings, or just result in things like more traffic ticket revenue?

And is ICE different from border patrol? Cuz reports that both were on the scene. Considering it's a majority hispanic school, not sure that passes the smell test. Some reports that ICE was checking papers, but let's give the benefit of the doubt and say all LEO agencies really were there only to help.

and yet, just imagine if you were a panicked parent just trying to go check on your kid whose school just got shot up, but you also suddenly have to worry that doing so might get you deported. What a country!
Uvalde is just 54 miles from the border and numerous border patrol agents and their families live there.
kid apparently purchased weapon right after turning 18, legally

so, doubt he was an undocumented
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Our school district put restricted entrances in all their schools a few years ago so that no one could enter the school without being buzzed in by the office. Curious if that would help at least some of these instances of people just walking in with guns.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DrPepper wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:11 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:08 am
More guns.
Violent culture.

But, it's the guns.

Bad parenting, mean kids , and mental health problems exist in other countries. Try to think for yourselves
Patient: Doc, how'd I get cancer? What do I do?

Doctor: Well, you're male, an occasional smoker, you sleep next to an open barrel of nuclear waste, you don't get enough exercise, you could stand to eat a more balanced diet, and your job is stressful. Honestly, could be any of those things, so let's start with...cutting back on cigarettes.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:12 am
twocoach wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:04 am

kid apparently purchased weapon right after turning 18, legally

so, doubt he was an undocumented
Sorry, it was meant as an answer to " There's the question of why a city not on the border is crawling with border patrol anyway, but that's for another thread. "

Looks like there is a large Border Patrol office located in Uvalde, TX.

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/alo ... _entity=en
Last edited by twocoach on Wed May 25, 2022 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:14 am Our school district put restricted entrances in all their schools a few years ago so that no one could enter the school without being buzzed in by the office. Curious if that would help at least some of these instances of people just walking in with guns.
I don't remember any of my kids' schools NOT having access-controlled single-entry.

But it doesn't mean anything; I am routinely buzzed in before I'm even fully in front of the camera. If I so much as asked, they'd let me walk the halls.

The problem isn't opportunity or motive. It's means. It just is.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:18 am
twocoach wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:14 am Our school district put restricted entrances in all their schools a few years ago so that no one could enter the school without being buzzed in by the office. Curious if that would help at least some of these instances of people just walking in with guns.
I don't remember any of my kids' schools NOT having access-controlled single-entry.

But it doesn't mean anything; I am routinely buzzed in before I'm even fully in front of the camera. If I so much as asked, they'd let me walk the halls.

The problem isn't opportunity or motive. It's means. It just is.
When my oldest was at the school, we could pretty much just walk in whenever we wanted. There was no restrictions at all.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

same with my school district.

and all the high schools have full time resource officers on campus all day.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I saw the kid was born in North Dakota, so maybe not an "illegal immigrant" after all

he bought 2 assault rifles on his 18th birthday. Why couldn't he have just bought like cigs or lotto tickets or nudie mags instead?

also saw it suggested his body armor wasn't actually body armor?

and that cops had engaged him before he entered? How's he manage to get in a shootout with cops then just waltz into a school anyway?

I dunno.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:27 am I saw the kid was born in North Dakota, so maybe not an "illegal immigrant" after all

he bought 2 assault rifles on his 18th birthday. Why couldn't he have just bought like cigs or lotto tickets or nudie mags instead?

also saw it suggested his body armor wasn't actually body armor?

and that cops had engaged him before he entered? How's he manage to get in a shootout with cops then just waltz into a school anyway?

I dunno.
He had a tactical vest on, not body armor. Just something to hold more magazines most likely. And he shot two officers who had responded to a call of his car wrecking outside the school and a person with rifles approaching the school. Both officers are expected to live, unlike the 21 people who died after the officers failed to stop the shooter.