Another mass shooting

Ugh.
Deleted User 863

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by Deleted User 863 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:08 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:07 am
DrPepper wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:57 am
There will always be murder (Cain and Abel style), but no one does violence like the USA. So how do you explain that?
Have other countries not taken back the guns?
Have other countries not restricted who can have certain guns?
Do other countries not have well organized militias, but the general citizens are not armed with assault rifles?
More guns.
More/easier access to guns.
Mean kids, bad parents, poor mental health treatment/diagnoses.
Violent culture.

The list is long why this happens here WAY more than any other country I know of.
But, it's the guns.

It's other things, too, but it's the guns.
Yup. It's the guns. Absolutely. The amount available. The ease of access.

But the guns don't walk themselves into the school and decide to shoot 2nd 3rd and 4th graders.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:41 am
More guns.
Violent culture.

The list is long why this happens here WAY more than any other country I know of.
But, it's the guns.

But the guns don't walk themselves into the school and decide to shoot 2nd 3rd and 4th graders.
Who says they do?

But you wouldn't have flags half-staff every other fucking week for an epidemic of people getting rocks thrown at them, Christ.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

More guns.
Violent culture.

But, it's the guns.

And very few ever felt emboldened to attack a school with a backpack full of knives.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:14 am Our school district put restricted entrances in all their schools a few years ago so that no one could enter the school without being buzzed in by the office. Curious if that would help at least some of these instances of people just walking in with guns.
Same here.

We also have volunteers (not cops, and not armed, but more adults can't hurt) at the school daily helping during drop off and pick up.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It's the spiritual cousin of making more and more and more amateurism rules; the issue is not that there ARE not enough security measures. The issue is that there CANNOT BE enough security measures, not without addressing the core issue.
Deleted User 863

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:44 am

But, it's the guns.

Who says they do?

But you wouldn't have flags half-staff every other fucking week for an epidemic of people getting rocks thrown at them, Christ.
Nope. We wouldn't.

We agree. No need to be hostile towards me.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i have not heard anything about the shooters family life. does he have parents. does he have siblings. did he live at home.

did he have a police record.

i have not heard much at all about the shooter. i guess that will change in the coming days.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:49 am the issue is not that there ARE not enough security measures. The issue is that there CANNOT BE enough security measures, not without addressing the core issue.
you are right.

but we can do more in terms of making schools safer. we can.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:49 am
It's the spiritual cousin of making more and more and more amateurism rules; the issue is not that there ARE not enough security measures. The issue is that there CANNOT BE enough security measures, not without addressing the core issue.
Agreed. But similar to the Big Pharma issue in this country, actually solving the problem prevents the gun lobby and the shareholders of gun companies from making as much money as possible. When the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness interferes with the right to make money, it usually ends with someone losing their life and not someone losing money.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:55 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:49 am the issue is not that there ARE not enough security measures. The issue is that there CANNOT BE enough security measures, not without addressing the core issue.
you are right.

but we can do more in terms of making schools safer. we can.
Schools would be a lot safer if less people that have access to schools owned weapons of war.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:52 am

Who says they do?

Nope. We wouldn't.

Wasn't intending to be. Just mad at the whole thing. Helluva breakfast topic at the house.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:52 am i have not heard anything about the shooters family life. does he have parents. does he have siblings. did he live at home.

did he have a police record.

i have not heard much at all about the shooter. i guess that will change in the coming days.
Why does that matter? He had a weapon that will kill a bunch of people in a very short time. That's all that is important here.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:48 am

But, it's the guns.

And very few ever felt emboldened to attack a school with a backpack full of knives.
Sadly a school aged girl around here was stabbed to death not long ago. Wasn't on campus though. It happened after school across the street iirc.
Deleted User 863

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:01 am

Who says they do?

Nope. We wouldn't.

Wasn't intending to be. Just mad at the whole thing. Helluva breakfast topic at the house.
Ok sorry.

We got a text from my kids school that state police were there doing a presentation to 4th and 5th graders and to not be alarmed by the presence of police vehicles at the school.

Sad they even have to send that text out.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:28 am

Nope. We wouldn't.

Ok sorry.

We got a text from my kids school that state police were there doing a presentation to 4th and 5th graders and to not be alarmed by the presence of police vehicles at the school.

We got a similar notification, about news vans being at the schools for B-roll get-out-of-school filming.
Deleted User 863

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:33 am

Ok sorry.

We got a similar notification, about news vans being at the schools for B-roll get-out-of-school filming.
Makes me want to home school my kids.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:38 am

Ok sorry.

Everything makes me want to home school my kids, except my kids.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:15 am
DrPepper wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:11 am

But, it's the guns.

Bad parenting, mean kids , and mental health problems exist in other countries. Try to think for yourselves
Patient: Doc, how'd I get cancer? What do I do?

Doctor: Well, you're male, an occasional smoker, you sleep next to an open barrel of nuclear waste, you don't get enough exercise, you could stand to eat a more balanced diet, and your job is stressful. Honestly, could be any of those things, so let's start with...cutting back on cigarettes.
If you have thyroid cancer and are sleeping next to an open barrel of nuclear waste, all the other things do not matter. ~99% sure it is the open barrel of nuclear waste that is killing you.
If you have a bullet hole in you, all the other things do not matter. 100% sure it is the open barrel of the gun that is killing you.
Deleted User 863

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:41 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:38 am

Everything makes me want to home school my kids, except my kids.
Haha my son would love it. My daughter wouldn't. My wife would go nuts.

But they wouldn't get shot to death in my kitchen more than likely.