Another mass shooting

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by twocoach »

DrPepper wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:44 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:15 am
DrPepper wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:11 am

Bad parenting, mean kids , and mental health problems exist in other countries. Try to think for yourselves
Patient: Doc, how'd I get cancer? What do I do?

Doctor: Well, you're male, an occasional smoker, you sleep next to an open barrel of nuclear waste, you don't get enough exercise, you could stand to eat a more balanced diet, and your job is stressful. Honestly, could be any of those things, so let's start with...cutting back on cigarettes.
If you have thyroid cancer and are sleeping next to an open barrel of nuclear waste, all the other things do not matter. ~99% sure it is the open barrel of nuclear waste that is killing you.
If you have a bullet hole in you, all the other things do not matter. 100% sure it is the open barrel of the gun that is killing you.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/26/world/us ... index.html

"There are 120 guns for every 100 Americans, according to the Switzerland-based Small Arms Survey (SAS). No other nation has more civilian guns than people."

"...SAS researchers estimate that Americans own 393 million of the 857 million civilian guns available, which is around 46% of the world's civilian gun cache. "

46% of the guns owned by civilians in the world are owned by Americans. That is completely insane.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Brilliant! The solution discussed as being viable to prevent kids getting killed in schools in The Greatest Country Ever is not to send them to school, as opposed to limiting access to weapons of mass destruction. Just brilliant.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

zsn wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:57 am Brilliant! The solution discussed as being viable to prevent kids getting killed in schools in The Greatest Country Ever is not to send them to school, as opposed to limiting access to weapons of mass destruction. Just brilliant.
Selfish solutions for a selfish problem.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't post here often but a lot more than just background checks need to happen.

Background checks mandatory, with a week or two waiting period, paid for with a tax on said gun.

Production of newer guns should halt. Any new gun should have zero semi auto/auto capabilities.
Bolt action. Double barrel or break action. Pump. That's it.
Newer guns should be built to prevent modifications - i.e. break the gun.
Max capacities of these guns should be 4 or 5.
No magazines or clips. You have to individually load each round.

Human beings hunted successfully with bows, spears, boomerangs, bolos.
You can manage with 4 shots from a rifle or shotgun.
I'd say the same thing for self defense - if you don't hit with your first one or two shots, you're probably in trouble anyways.

Buy back programs for guns that exist should be promoted. Give a reasonable x amount of years you have to return any gun that is deemed, on the list, as not one of the grandfathered in guns ( that are close to the gun modifications listed above ). After that time period, any gun not on the list is illegal, with seizure, fines and jail time depending on offense. Any modifications to a gun would face similar penalties.

No silly gun shows. Gun shops would have to be similar to ABC, a controlled centralized business with unified standards and practices.

If you reallly want to fire those more high powered weapons, there can be places you can fire them, renting them, on the premises, like a shooting range.

Either the drinking age should go down to 18 or the gun buying age should go up to 21.
( i'd prefer the latter, honestly, i'd prefer the option not listed above, drinking age to 18, gun buying to 21 ).

The 2nd Ammendment was intended for colonies/commonwealths/states that didn't have a standing army yet as a means to protect themselves. It was a new nation. Washington and the Federalists changed that in the mid 1790s when the Army was created to fight the Native Americans. If the States want to create militias, where people volunteer and train and have access to those weapons, much like joining the military but directly just for your state and not Federally bound in anyway, because they think/feel the State could rise against a tyrannical government, i'm in support of those members having access to the weaponry the National Armed Forces have ( though they would never get even close to the capabilities with pin point distance missiles, high speed jets, drones etc ).
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

seahawk wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:17 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:52 am i have not heard anything about the shooters family life. does he have parents. does he have siblings. did he live at home.

did he have a police record.

i have not heard much at all about the shooter. i guess that will change in the coming days.
Why does that matter? He had a weapon that will kill a bunch of people in a very short time. That's all that is important here.
it matters to me because i think the families of these shooters own some of the responsibility. if you know your kid is a lunatic and you don't do anything about it. that matters to me.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:05 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:52 am i have not heard anything about the shooters family life. does he have parents. does he have siblings. did he live at home.

i have not heard much at all about the shooter. i guess that will change in the coming days.
Why does that matter? He had a weapon that will kill a bunch of people in a very short time. That's all that is important here.
it matters to me because i think the families of these shooters own some of the responsibility. if you know your kid is a lunatic and you don't do anything about it. that matters to me.
My guess is "lunatic" or not, 99.5% of parents don't think their kids are going to shoot up a school.
99.5% of them are right.
So...... What would you like them to do in regards to their "lunatic" kids?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:05 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-school ... ive-uvalde
"We do know for a fact that there was no criminal history or no gang affiliation as well that would have set off any indicators for him to make this purchase [of a long rifle]," Olivarez said.

"Olivarez said Ramos was unemployed and living with his grandparents in Uvalde, located about 85 miles west of San Antonio. He said it was unclear why and for how long he was living with them."
"Investigators were still searching for Ramos’ parents, according to Olivarez."

He shot the grandmother that he was living with.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:14 pm So...... What would you like them to do in regards to their "lunatic" kids?
i would like them to turn them in. almost every time the signs were there. in big flashing red letters.

this kid from yesterday is a high school senior. purchased two guns the day after he turned 18. posted pictures of those guns on social media with messages.

the signs are almost always there. report your lunatic kid or suffer the consequences.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

and, if your lunatic kid shoots up the school with a gun he got from home, you suffer the consequences.

my kid. my responsibility.

or suffer the consequences.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

For developed nations. I actually wish it showed the "undeveloped" nations so that you could see where Columbia and El Salvador and those other "shit hole" places compare relative to the USA.Image

One might conclude that more guns means more deaths.
Last edited by DrPepper on Wed May 25, 2022 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

zsn wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:57 am Brilliant! The solution discussed as being viable to prevent kids getting killed in schools in The Greatest Country Ever is not to send them to school, as opposed to limiting access to weapons of mass destruction. Just brilliant.
JFC.

Pretty sure we all agree limiting access to guns is needed.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:05 pm I don't post here often but a lot more than just background checks need to happen.

Background checks mandatory, with a week or two waiting period, paid for with a tax on said gun.

Production of newer guns should halt. Any new gun should have zero semi auto/auto capabilities.
Bolt action. Double barrel or break action. Pump. That's it.
Newer guns should be built to prevent modifications - i.e. break the gun.
Max capacities of these guns should be 4 or 5.
No magazines or clips. You have to individually load each round.

Human beings hunted successfully with bows, spears, boomerangs, bolos.
You can manage with 4 shots from a rifle or shotgun.
I'd say the same thing for self defense - if you don't hit with your first one or two shots, you're probably in trouble anyways.

Buy back programs for guns that exist should be promoted. Give a reasonable x amount of years you have to return any gun that is deemed, on the list, as not one of the grandfathered in guns ( that are close to the gun modifications listed above ). After that time period, any gun not on the list is illegal, with seizure, fines and jail time depending on offense. Any modifications to a gun would face similar penalties.

No silly gun shows. Gun shops would have to be similar to ABC, a controlled centralized business with unified standards and practices.

If you reallly want to fire those more high powered weapons, there can be places you can fire them, renting them, on the premises, like a shooting range.

Either the drinking age should go down to 18 or the gun buying age should go up to 21.
( i'd prefer the latter, honestly, i'd prefer the option not listed above, drinking age to 18, gun buying to 21 ).

The 2nd Ammendment was intended for colonies/commonwealths/states that didn't have a standing army yet as a means to protect themselves. It was a new nation. Washington and the Federalists changed that in the mid 1790s when the Army was created to fight the Native Americans. If the States want to create militias, where people volunteer and train and have access to those weapons, much like joining the military but directly just for your state and not Federally bound in anyway, because they think/feel the State could rise against a tyrannical government, i'm in support of those members having access to the weaponry the National Armed Forces have ( though they would never get even close to the capabilities with pin point distance missiles, high speed jets, drones etc ).
Well said.
Deleted User 863

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:24 pm and, if your lunatic kid shoots up the school with a gun he got from home, you suffer the consequences.

Well said.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:26 pm Pretty sure we all agree limiting access to guns is needed.
We do agree on that. The majority of Americans agree with that and have for a long time. But the NRA and GOP like to mingle the other little things in there, rattle the base, get the money flowing, keep their folks in power. Deaths and sadness be damned. You are just paying lip service. You won't get the job done.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:24 pm and, if your lunatic kid shoots up the school with a gun he got from home, you suffer the consequences.

19+ families are suffering the consequences.
Deleted User 863

DrPepper wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:31 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:26 pm Pretty sure we all agree limiting access to guns is needed.
We do agree on that. The majority of Americans agree with that and have for a long time. But the NRA and GOP like to mingle the other little things in there, rattle the base, get the money flowing, keep their folks in power. Deaths and sadness be damned. You are just paying lip service. You won't get the job done.
I am registered as a Democrat fwiw.

I don't vote for very many Republicans.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:29 pm

Well said.
Then we are going to have to know who owns the guns. There are a lot of Americans in red hats that are not going to like that. They register their cars, but not their arsenal.
Your wife used your gun to shoot your mother. You are guilty because it was your gun?
Last edited by DrPepper on Wed May 25, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the midterms are coming up. vote out any politician not in favor of commonsense gun reform.

commonsense or suffer the consequences
Deleted User 863

DrPepper wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:35 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:29 pm

Well said.
Then we are going to have to know who owns the guns. There are a lot of American's in red hats that are not going to like that. They register their cars, but not their arsenal.
They'll get over it.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Wed May 25, 2022 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 863

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:36 pm the midterms are coming up. vote out any politician not in favor of commonsense gun reform.

commonsense or suffer the consequences
This.