Another mass shooting

Ugh.
Deleted User 863

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by Deleted User 863 »

DrPepper wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:35 pm
Your wife used your gun to shoot your mother. You are guilty because it was your gun?
Yes. Guilty of something at the very least. Negligence.

Don't own a gun if it's not a risk you're willing to take.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Or break the law and hope they don't get caught."

Yup.
We don't know who has meth labs in their basement either.
But if you get caught, you are going to be in trouble.

And if you wanted to do away with registration with the newer weapons, I wouldn't be opposed.
Maybe to do so, you'd have to get a certification/training, and then your privacy could be protected.
But with a weapon intended for hunting/basic home defense and not mass murder.

This would be a slow play, that would help future generations, but not this one immediately.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Even within the USA, there seems to be a relationship between gun ownership and gun deaths. Hmmm.
(I do not have an explanation for Hawaii. interesting)
Deleted User 863

Just about everything is registered now a days.

I'd contend that if you're that paranoid about the governement coming to kill you then you might be the exact kind of person who shouldn't own a gun.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Wed May 25, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Compromise I think.
To maintain some of threads of the original intent of the 2nd Amendment, protection against tyrannical government ( though it's ultimately moot as I believe either the Armed Forces would split and not take orders to mass attack on their own people or these rebels would be tactically missile struck and owned by the full might of our military ).
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Someone here used to argue for required insurance for gun ownership (again, ownership and sales would need to be recorded). Insurance similar to owning a car. It made a lot of sense to me. One of the rationales that I recall was that the insurance companies are very good at figuring out who can properly handle their shit and who can't. Maybe the CDC or NIH or FBI or SED or USA can't figure out how to stop senseless gun deaths, so give the freakanomic folks at the insurance companies a chance to put save a penny and they will figure it out.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

why does a gun owners privacy have to be protected. you want to own a gun, you get a license. you want to own a gun, you get a background check. you want to own a gun, there is a 30 day waiting period. seems reasonable to me. we have a database for everything else. why can't we have a database for gun owners.

i have had 3 background checks in the last calendar year. 2 to ref soccer. 1 to coach hockey. i can not get my license until i have a background check. i cannot get my certification until i have my background check.

i have to have a license to go fishing.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I don't think making schools look like prisons is the way to go. I'd sooner move to another country.

I live in NY. The public schools in my district do not have armed people working there that I have seen. For the last dozen years (which is all I know about), you speak thru an intercom to get buzzed in (if you are not a student during the general entry and exit times).
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

locking the doors and making visitors get buzzed in during school hours is just plain commonsense.
Deleted User 863

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:01 pm locking the doors and making visitors get buzzed in during school hours is just plain commonsense.
Yes. Probably even a mom or dad in each district willing to install the buzzer and locking mechanism for free.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

every school district in the country received millions and millions of covid dollars over the last couple years.

we just approved what, close to 50 billion in aid to the ukraine. i think we can afford to harden the schools.
Deleted User 863

DrPepper wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:58 pm I don't think making schools look like prisons is the way to go. I'd sooner move to another country.
Certainly not ideal, but not many mass shootings in prisons.

I'd rather go too extreme for a while and then scale back.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Here is the saddest epitaph to the shooting.

https://www.businessinsider.com/top-2-g ... ing-2022-5
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Small Coffins
By Kaitlin Hardy Shetler

suzie gave her teacher apples
and billy gave her gum
and jason, leigh, and rachel
painted flowers with their thumbs

penny wore a red bow
michael drew a cat
and luke chased crickets
by the stream
while making paper hats

a b c d
listen for the bell
e f then g
it’s time to go to hell

miss mary mack
mack mack
all dressed in black
black black
with silver bullets
bullets bullets
all down her back
back back

my momma told me
to pick the very best gun
and you
are
it

tag another child
dig another grave
bow your head
and tremble
for prayers that never save

send your kids to school
send your kids to heaven
turn your eyes away
from shooting ninety-seven

bury outrage
buy more votes
mock their parents
cut their throats

control your women
not your guns
kill your first graders
indulge your sons

buy them rifles
buy them bombs
cry fake tears
for grieving moms

suzie’s red like apples
penny’s red like bows
freedom comes at such a cost
small coffins laid in rows
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:14 pm
DrPepper wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:58 pm I don't think making schools look like prisons is the way to go. I'd sooner move to another country.

Then shooters just hang out at their house until after school and then go shoot up a softball or soccer practice. Locking down schools to be like military bunkers isn't the answer at all.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

hardening the schools is not THE solution. but it is part of it.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

No, it is not at all the solution. Just like blaming parents, it's the same old bullshit excuse from the grifters and crooks that run the NRA and the insane gun nuts who repeat the NRA talking points and see no problem with the gun manufacturers and the gun lobby profiting from the deaths of children and grandmothers.

There is no reason for an 18 year old to be able to purchase an AR15 assault weapon. Hell, the NRA and their lunatic supporters have made it so that you can't even say "assault rifle." Governor I don't care how many children are dead, where's my NRA check Abbott offers NRA Speak about "Long Guns." In fact, there's no reason for any civilian to own an assault rifle, AR15, AK47, whatever. Lots cheaper and simpler to simply ban the sales of them.

You've stated that these kids who buy their AR15 and murder a gaggle of people in a few minutes are lunatics. Well, lunatics can figure out a way to get into a school, even an NRA approved "hardened" school. That's just about giving out more taxpayer funds to the NRA.

Giving the insurance companies control is a way better suggestion.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:40 pm

Then shooters just hang out at their house until after school and then go shoot up a softball or soccer practice. Locking down schools to be like military bunkers isn't the answer at all.
It isn't THE answer. It is certainly part of an answer to help address them.

Sorry, locked doors, buzzer entry, and a police presence, sounds reasonable to me.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Wed May 25, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Wait, are you telling me that Obama DIDN’T confiscate all of the guns?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:40 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:40 pm

It isn't THE answer. It is certainly part of an answer to help address them.

Sorry, locked doors, buzzer entry, an a police presence, sounds reasonable to me.
You DO know the quality of the police officers that get assigned to school protection….right?