Ugh.
Cascadia

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by Cascadia »

seahawk

Post by seahawk »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:20 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:18 pm How many Republicans will vote for more funding for schools? Illy gets dumber by the day.

And this still does jack shit to get to the root of the problem.
There is no 100% quick fix. Stop pretending background checks and/or gun bans are the ONLY thing that needs to be done. MULTIPLE things to be done.

I agree gun control is a HUGE part of it. But they don't have the votes. So just take the ball and go home?
Because you don't favor gun control, you insist that nothing can be done, will ever be done? Seems like a Big Lie, because after the Marjorie Stoneman Douglas shootings and the protests by the Parkland students, the Republican Florida Legislature passed and Republican Rick Scott signed bills that instituted a Red Flag system in Florida and that raised the age to buy an AR15 from 18 to 21.
Don't inject Lysol.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

could there be any civil liability or whatever for parents here?

Just imagine being a mom or dad ready to run into your kid's school to take on an active shooter, but you get tackled by cops instead.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

seahawk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:50 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:20 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:18 pm How many Republicans will vote for more funding for schools? Illy gets dumber by the day.

And this still does jack shit to get to the root of the problem.
There is no 100% quick fix. Stop pretending background checks and/or gun bans are the ONLY thing that needs to be done. MULTIPLE things to be done.

I agree gun control is a HUGE part of it. But they don't have the votes. So just take the ball and go home?
Because you don't favor gun control, you insist that nothing can be done, will ever be done? Seems like a Big Lie, because after the Marjorie Stoneman Douglas shootings and the protests by the Parkland students, the Republican Florida Legislature passed and Republican Rick Scott signed bills that instituted a Red Flag system in Florida and that raised the age to buy an AR15 from 18 to 21.
I know it's hard to keep up with all the opinions on this site, but I am STRONGLY in favor of increased gun control.

They can ban many of the types of guns currently available to purchase legally and it won't bother me 1 bit. Do the Clinton AR15 ban for a decade and see if it works. What do we have to lose?

But, we also have to focus on illegal guns. Black and brown kids are killed in inner cities every single day and almost nobody bats an eye. Their lives matter too.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

do you think cops would have been quicker to engage this shooter if they knew sooner that he was brown?

too bad he wasn't doing something that REALLY warranted police brutality, like driving with expired tags.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

We have got to raise the age on the gun types that we are consistently seeing being used in these mass shootings to at least 21, maybe 25. 18 year olds still have pudding brain and are too unstable to be trusted with such a weapon of death to not do something impulsive.

We have got to change background checks to be required on all gun sales, including private sales and gun shows. We have got to register all manufactured weapons in a federal database at the time of manufacturing and require that registration be updated after every sale so that ATF can track any gun from the second it was created in case it is used in a crime.

We have got to get a more comprehensive system of reporting mental health or violence issues and begin to err on the side of caution when it comes to removing someone's right to purchase a weapon. There is a system in place to red flag someone; it needs to be utilized at a far higher rate for a wider variety of reasons. Anyone who is known or reported to have harmed an animal should be red flagged. Anyone who has threatened to harm themselves or another person should be red flagged. You can set up some sort of system that removes them from the list after a period of time or a manual review.

We have got to get social media corporations to build some sort of monitoring in place that when things such as "I am going to shot my grandmother" and "I am going to go shoot up an elementary school" are published on the site that the authorities are immediately contacted. If Facebook can immediately launch an advertisement for something that my phone overhears me discussing (creepy) then they should be able to notify law enforcement when threats to murder people are made.

We have got to get schools to actually implement the changes that have already been put in place and pay to upgrade their facilities in cases where those changes have not been made yet. It is fundamentally absurd that a building with a "single entry access" had other doors open that anyone could use to enter the school. All doors should only open from the inside unless a fire alarm goes off and unlocks all doors so that fire personnel can do their jobs.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

In other “all cops are bastards” news…

https://twitter.com/nickmartin/status/1 ... MpJH01QNgA
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:00 am do you think cops would have been quicker to engage this shooter if they knew sooner that he was brown?

too bad he wasn't doing something that REALLY warranted police brutality, like driving with expired tags.
It feels like you are assuming that the majority of the Uvalde PD and all other responding officers were white and would be more likely to engage a non-white shooter. I do not know what the racial makeup of the Uvalde PD is so I won't try to answer that other than to say that the shooter was engaged with officers prior to entering the building so I feel like they probably had a good idea of his race/skin color. My guess is that they were also able to see the shooter at various points when he was barricaded in the classroom.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:00 am do you think cops would have been quicker to engage this shooter if they knew sooner that he was brown?

JFC.

Please stop.
Deleted User 863

Hearing the social media posts the shooter made. How did nobody report him to police?

Has posts like "10 more days". To which someone asked "are you going to shoot up the school"...the shooter says to quit asking dumb questions / you will see.

How did he have money for all these guns and ammo?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:17 am Hearing the social media posts the shooter made. How did nobody report him to police?

Has posts like "10 more days". To which someone asked "are you going to shoot up the school"...the shooter says to quit asking dumb questions / you will see.

Just depends on the social media platform used and how the posts were done. Much of what was used by both the Buffalo shooter and the Uvalde shooter were apps specifically designed to be private and not be posted to a general audience. They were posting to like-minded individuals who were cheering them on and giving them advice on how to better execute their plans.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:14 am

JFC.

Please stop.
I think there IS some question of why cops are so much more likely to use deadly force when a victim is unarmed.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:33 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:17 am Hearing the social media posts the shooter made. How did nobody report him to police?

Just depends on the social media platform used and how the posts were done. Much of what was used by both the Buffalo shooter and the Uvalde shooter were apps specifically designed to be private and not be posted to a general audience. They were posting to like-minded individuals who were cheering them on and giving them advice on how to better execute their plans.
They were reading his Instagram posts.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Of course
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:36 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:14 am

JFC.

Please stop.
I think there IS some question of why cops are so much more likely to use deadly force when a victim is unarmed.
So much more likely? False.

Do you know how many interactions there are every single day with unarmed people and law enforcement? Thousands upon thousands upon thousands.
Deleted User 863

Cascadia wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:41 am
Of course
Uvalde PD has 28 officers.

Any idea of their racial demographics?

73% of Uvalde Texas is hispanic/latino according the latest census info.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think racial bias takes a back seat when the assault rifle's blasting. More than anything I think cops were shitting their pants scared.

what blows my mind is that among like 80 of them on the scene, there isn't a single badass. You'd think at least one among the bunch might have ran in there all amped up on that kinda Dirty Harry machismo cops pride themselves on the rest time, but nope.

Maybe there IS some question of whether/at what point a cop should or shouldn't have to run into such a dangerous situation with such a high likelihood of risk. But now, we're also weighing that against whether it's appropriate for cops to concede a whole classroom full of kids as collateral damage
Last edited by ousdahl on Fri May 27, 2022 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Qusdahl take:

defund the fuck outta the police, and allocate it all to teachers instead.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:49 am I think racial bias takes a back seat when the assault rifle's blasting. More than anything I think cops were shitting their pants scared.

what blows my mind is that among like 80 of them on the scene, there isn't a single badass. You'd think at least one among the bunch might have ran in there all amped up on that kinda Dirty Harry machismo cops pride themselves on the rest time, but nope.

Maybe there IS some question of whether/at what point a cop should or shouldn't have to run into such a dangerous situation with such a high likelihood of risk. But now, we're also weighing that against whether it's appropriate for cops to concede a whole classroom full of kids as collateral.
Are you paying attention to the news at all?

They thought it moved from an active shooter situation to a barricaded subject situation. There were cops in the hallways and other classrooms evacuating kids. They weren't all hiding in the parking lot.

They admitted today they made a mistake and they should have immediately breached the door because it should have still been considered an active shooter situation.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:51 am Qusdahl take:

defund the fuck outta the police, and allocate it all to teachers instead.
Please stop. Some of us don't think this should be used as an opportunity for your typical schtick.