Kids

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Kids

Post by TDub »

ill preface this by saying that I love my kids, and I wouldn't trade having them for anything in the world.
But by God, today.....

wifes been sick all week...It finally caught me today. Shes still sick so as soon as I get home I get handed the kids (fair). But....I feel like I got hit by a train, and I just stoked the fire and got it roaring hot even though its 70 in here because I'm freezing.

Tonight, of all days, I would let them veg with their iPads/screens whatever. Tonight, of course, is the night they dont want them at all and I'm currently trying to hold it together as toy dinosaurs take over a barbie village.

If there was a cliff I had energy to get too,, I'd run off it. lol.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:25 pm ill preface this by saying that I love my kids, and I wouldn't trade having them for anything in the world.
But by God, today.....

wifes been sick all week...It finally caught me today. Shes still sick so as soon as I get home I get handed the kids (fair). But....I feel like I got hit by a train, and I just stoked the fire and got it roaring hot even though its 70 in here because I'm freezing.

Tonight, of all days, I would let them veg with their iPads/screens whatever. Tonight, of course, is the night they dont want them at all and I'm currently trying to hold it together as toy dinosaurs take over a barbie village.

If there was a cliff I had energy to get too,, I'd run off it. lol.
I feel your pain. Between the usual crud that comes in and out when you have kids in school, to separate Covid bouts for Mr. and Mrs. Fish, to the holidays, to snow days, and so on, I'm not sure I've had a normal work week since fucking Columbus Day.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

its certainly been a challenging few months as far as sickness in our household. Ive been sick more this year than I have in the last probably 10 or more
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

First trip to the emergency room as a parent. The youngest bit a decent sized hole in his tongue at the bounce tag place. No surprise that he required a visit of this nature before his older sister. She is catious, him not so much. 🤣 tough little fucker barely cried. But stuck his tongue out to show me and I was like "oh shit".
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We had several when the kids were young.
2am, Mrs 99 is at work. Major snowstorm going. Youngest is having issues breathing. I call Mrs 99 at the hospital and ask her what to do. She askes what is that weird sound in the background. It's the kid. "Get that kid to the ER now, moran."

After a couple of hours and some breathing treatments, they tell me it's the croup.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 863

jhawks99 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:48 pm We had several when the kids were young.
2am, Mrs 99 is at work. Major snowstorm going. Youngest is having issues breathing. I call Mrs 99 at the hospital and ask her what to do. She askes what is that weird sound in the background. It's the kid. "Get that kid to the ER now, moran."

After a couple of hours and some breathing treatments, they tell me it's the croup.
Breathing shit is scary when they are little.

Tongue bites not so much, but wanted someone who knows what they are doing to look at it. Especially because I pay so much for insurance so might as well use it.
shindig

Post by shindig »

TDub wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:52 pm its certainly been a challenging few months as far as sickness in our household. Ive been sick more this year than I have in the last probably 10 or more
I was pretty much sick free the 2 years of working exclusively from home due to Covid. Now that I’ve been going in the office a few days a week for the last month or so, I’ve had a stomach bug that lasted for several days and the last few days I had a throbbing headache and just general tiredness. Feel better this morning since I went to bed last night at 8pm and basically slept 10+ hours w/o waking up once. I hate being sick, I get so damn grumpy.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Well the US sure has done a bang up job of tempting millennials to reverse that record low birthrate trend over the last 2+ years.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CnBs lady friend is putting the pressure on.
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

Don't do it!
Ain't no seats
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Wiff wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:22 pmDon't do it!
Inflation/home prices, poor pandemic response, schools turning into prisons in an ill-attempt to not get shot up, why would anyone hesitate?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I'll admit, I own more guitars than I should, or than my ability warrants.

But the problem is, I was showing off one guitar to a buddy (who has kids), and lamenting on how I shouldn't have spent so much on it, when the buddy replied, "bro that's about 2 weeks worth of daycare."
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

Oh yeah... Those are good reasons, too..
Ain't no seats
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:40 pm I'll admit, I own more guitars than I should, or than my ability warrants.

But the problem is, I was showing off one guitar to a buddy (who has kids), and lamenting on how I shouldn't have spent so much on it, when the buddy replied, "bro that's about 2 weeks worth of daycare."
Maybe I am naive and wrong and there are a bunch of millionaire daycare owners/providers out there, but seeing the rates, I would think they are all around us.
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

I'm almost 4 months into parenthood and I feel like my kid should be 14 years old by now.
Ain't no seats
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

they grow up so fast!
Deleted User 863

Wiff wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:48 pm I'm almost 4 months into parenthood and I feel like my kid should be 14 years old by now.
Those first months probably age you 14 years! 🤣
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

but if you have one then decide it's not for you after all, at least they tend to hold their value, so you can always get a few bucks back by flipping it on Craigslist.

wait, we're still talking about guitars, right?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Wiff wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:48 pm I'm almost 4 months into parenthood and I feel like my kid should be 14 years old by now.
Kid should at least be taking out the trash, or mowing the yard by now.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm guessing I'll need to be the bearer of pretty bad news for my oldest kid (he's 15), some time this week. Specifically, I think we'll learn that he is getting cut from the most competitive team he's on (and has been on for several years). The team is probably the single biggest social and competitive thing for him - it's a year-round thing.

Curious as to others' experiences with situations like this. I am guessing he'll be pretty blindsided (he shouldn't be, we've been warning him for weeks/months that he wasn't taking things seriously enough, but: this is teenagers), and I'm figuring he won't really HEAR anything we say until the shock wears off.

Big picture, what I want to communicate is:

* This won't be the last time he wants to do something where there are not enough spots for everyone.

* What will make us proud or disappointed is how he responds to adversity, not the existence (or non-existence) of adversity.

* When something is important to you, the only reliable way to protect yourself from disappointment is to put yourself in a position of knowing you did everything you should have done. If you do that, and things still don't go your way, you will find it much easier to let go of the disappointment than if you need to wonder if you left opportunity on the table.

* This doesn't change any long-term goals or opportunities - but it means (vis a vis this sport) that he either needs to take ownership in getting better, or recalibrate the time/attention to something else that serves his goals (short-, medium- and long-term).

We don't push our kids into any particular activity, but it's a requirement that they be involved in something. I don't personally care if that's sports or volunteering or debate or a job or student government or what. But you don't get to do nothing.