Self Made

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Self Made

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

JayhawkInIowa726 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:51 pm At the game the obvious thing is you need youth and energy in this thing. Truth told, KU’s team was too old.

Sideline cancer much younger (same with the Iowa team playing now).

Hard to put together a younger KU team though when most are still chasing the NBA dream.

I couldn’t think of a lot of younger players we should’ve had on the squad off the top of my head.
Don't know if age matters as much as shooting.

You have to shoot and get stops. That team did neither.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Paul1 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:06 am
pdub wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:28 am
gutman wrote:I could get a gig as an assistant at a community college and I never played HS ball let alone for KU.
Doubtful.
Not "doubtful". Connections help but I might not even have to rely on them.

As far as getting a gig as an assistant at a Community College, maybe not as an assistant head coach but I am pretty sure could get a job holding a dry erase board and telling kids what time to get on a bus.
Heck, I'm not saying I could land an "assistant coach" job at a major university but I am fairly confident I could get at least a piddly job. Through "connections".
Doubtful.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Very doubtful.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I guess I wasn't the only one who turned it off less than halfway through the first half. It was hard to watch even that long. I had't given it any forethought, but there's no question I expected a lot more. Hate to admit it, but embarrassing.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

As difficult as it was to watch our guys struggle, I enjoyed watching the other team play. And I like their message - “Each year of TBT, the Sideline Cancer basketball team has come together to play. And what we have played for is something bigger. We are playing to raise awareness, to inspire the next generation of what they can use their gifts to be, and we believe always that one day a cure will be found.”—Billy Clapper, GM
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Other than Rel, Perry and Young, this was a team of guys who were hard to love. You have to practice more than they did obviously.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Perry’s always been hard to love.

But I still do, and feel for him after suffering injury.

Of all the guys, I may be most disappointed with Tyshawn. He could and should have been The Man on this squad, but no showed.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I will always be mad at Perry for being a pussy in Omaha.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Against Wichita State.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Just like Larry Brown, let’s play them again and beat them by 50 points. Press them until the end.
Deleted User 276

Post by Deleted User 276 »

Sparko wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:27 pm Other than Rel, Perry and Young, this was a team of guys who were hard to love. You have to practice more than they did obviously.
The team that beat them didn't practice together a single time other than an hour long shoot around the day before the game....their "coach" didn't even get into town until the day of the game.

Our problem was guys like Case and Landen just aren't that good. Arthur was by far our most talented player, but he's a rusty retired NBA guy who hadn't played in a game in over a year.

Truthfully most of our young former players who are worth a damn are all still in the NBA or chasing the NBA so it's hard to put together a team that is capable of being competitive. I thought EJ and Taylor were going to look better than they did.

Really sucks Perry went down. That's going to cost him some money. Hopefully he can recover 100% and have some good years ahead of him.

I tried to think of guys we "should" have had....the 1s that came to mind were Mario, RussRob, BRush, and Cole....maybe Julian Wright and of course Mari would be better suited for this style than someone like Landen. Obviously Mario is still trying to get back to the league and is doing the BIG3 thing (same with JuJu). Not sure what Rush's chances are of landing with an NBA team for next year (don't think he signed anywhere this off season?)....anyone with NBA chances for next year can't really risk playing in something like this I suppose. Collison and Gooden maybe, but they're old now. Still kinda think those 2 would be way more talented that nearly all guys in this, but old and out of shape most likely. Fun to think about. Maybe Sherron could get in shape so he can actually play instead of just post TBT pics on social media of his glory days.

Fun idea.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Can we at least just enjoy this much?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0W_QFFncke ... 17fzbs8069
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:46 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:18 am If I’m Perry’s Japan team, I’d be pretty pissed. Wouldn’t be a shock if they invalidate his contract.
Depends a lot on what was in contract. Surely he had to clear it with them before playing. But even then, I’m sure they aren’t happy.
Japan is not America. Perry would be without practical options if they sent him packing whether Japan’s contract law would allow it or not.
Deleted User 266

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:40 pm
Sparko wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:27 pm Other than Rel, Perry and Young, this was a team of guys who were hard to love. You have to practice more than they did obviously.
The team that beat them didn't practice together a single time other than an hour long shoot around the day before the game....their "coach" didn't even get into town until the day of the game.

Our problem was guys like Case and Landen just aren't that good. Arthur was by far our most talented player, but he's a rusty retired NBA guy who hadn't played in a game in over a year.

Truthfully most of our young former players who are worth a damn are all still in the NBA or chasing the NBA so it's hard to put together a team that is capable of being competitive. I thought EJ and Taylor were going to look better than they did.

Really sucks Perry went down. That's going to cost him some money. Hopefully he can recover 100% and have some good years ahead of him.

I tried to think of guys we "should" have had....the 1s that came to mind were Mario, RussRob, BRush, and Cole....maybe Julian Wright and of course Mari would be better suited for this style than someone like Landen. Obviously Mario is still trying to get back to the league and is doing the BIG3 thing (same with JuJu). Not sure what Rush's chances are of landing with an NBA team for next year (don't think he signed anywhere this off season?)....anyone with NBA chances for next year can't really risk playing in something like this I suppose. Collison and Gooden maybe, but they're old now. Still kinda think those 2 would be way more talented that nearly all guys in this, but old and out of shape most likely. Fun to think about. Maybe Sherron could get in shape so he can actually play instead of just post TBT pics on social media of his glory days.

Fun idea.
May not cost Perry money. Japan team may have given him their blessings and may honor the contract.
Not sure how insurance works but wouldn't be shocked if Perry had some type of insurance covering injury.

Not saying they would have won a game but it would have been more enjoyable for me to watch the 86 or 88 teams as a Brown Made team repping KU. Or the 02 or 03 teams as a Roy Made team repping KU.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:04 pm Can we at least just enjoy this much?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0W_QFFncke ... 17fzbs8069
Needs to be your photo bro
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:40 pm

Fun idea.
They have played together a long time.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

The team has been entered but mostly different players.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 266

Sideline Cancer beat the Aftershocks. Not that anyone really cares.
Frankensteinkamp had 16 for the losers.
Deleted User 266

randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Tyshawn is trying to run it back. and get another team of KU guys together for the TBT
https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-tyshawn- ... 09882.html