2022-2023 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
NDballer13

Re: 2022-2023 Lineup

Post by NDballer13 »

You don't get one of the nations top defenses simply by "hey, you guard that guy." He's also spent 3 years game planning against Self, so naturally has a leg up on the other newcomers in understanding the system. Even if he's never played in it.

Some obviously don't like it, but Self has done this long enough for people to know what to expect. Freshman who are more talented offensively aren't going to play over upperclassmen who are better defenders. The better offensively argument really only matters if you rely on a break you down style of offense, which won't be either Rice's or Dick's role this year. Self and Co. are more interested in being in position to score before you get the ball.
Last edited by NDballer13 on Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Whatever it is, it's always been better than what we've had here since Beard/Adams went there. Can really guard the 3 line.

McCullar is one of the best players in the entire league returning. Top 20 returning player in the entire country according to Andy Katz. But, anyone that's watched Big 12 ball over the last 2 seasons would know that he has been a damn good player in that time.

And his shooting woes have been overblown. Good at catch and shoot. Won't have to create his own shot here, so not worried about that. Was around 38% from 3 last year before injuring both his ankles.

Chose KU over Gonzaga for a reason. You're high as a kite if you think McCullar is getting splinters in his ass next season.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:46 am You don't get one of the nations top defenses simply by "hey, you guard that guy." He's also spent 3 years game planning against Self, so naturally has a leg up on the other newcomers in understanding the system. Even if he's never played in it.

Some obviously don't like it, but Self has done this long enough for people to know what to expect. Freshman who are more talented offensively aren't going to play over upperclassmen who are better defenders. The better offensively argument really only matters if you rely on a break you down style of offense, which won't be either Rice's or Dick's role this year. Self and Co. are more interested in being in position to score before you get the ball.
So you're not predicting that two 18 years olds are going to play over a 22-year-old who has shown that he might be the best defender in the Big 12? Do you know Bill Self or something?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:34 am
TT has a complex "defensive system"?
Compared to other defenses, yes.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:46 am You're high as a kite if you think McCullar is getting splinters in his ass next season.
I don't think anyone is predicting he won't be in the rotation.

We do this every off season. Last season it was "You're high as a kite if you don't think Yesufu is playing over DH".

I think McCullar likely has a lead on Gradey and Rice for minutes at this point. But he is not a "lock" for anything at this point. He doesn't have 1 single practice at KU under his belt. And neither do they. There is absolutely a chance they work their way ahead of him in the rotation, but they'll have to earn it (just like he will).

I think a lot of those 3 players outlook depends on how much we play 2 "bigs" with JW at the 3. Which is a wild guess at this point.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Rotation will be Harris, Wilson, McCullar, Dick, Clemence, Adams, Udeh, Rice.

Yesufu or Bobby will be 8th and I would lean Yesufu based on Bobby's health.

I would bet money on this.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:01 amHe doesn't have 1 single practice at KU under his belt. And neither do they.
He has 3 years of being a good player in the Big 12. This is crazy.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The mystery is who plays the most minutes at the 5.

My worry is that KJ ends transferring after being edged out by Udeh who has a defined position, is bigger, is also crazy athletic, and can protect the rim. KJ is not a 5 and is not a rim protector, so any expected minutes at the 5 for him seem vulnerable.

I love KJ and think he can develop into something great, but he was somewhat of a project coming in and we are recruiting at a high level again.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:58 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:34 am
Compared to other defenses, yes.
I guess I never considered it complex or gimmicky/tricky.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.one37p ... e-cool/amp

"The premise of Tech’s scheme is simple—shade ball-handlers towards the sideline and aggressively bring early help from the weakside to discourage drives. Although this scheme has become trendy across college basketball, no team executes it as precisely as Tech."
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:34 am The other 2 are also more talented than him offensively. We are replacing a lot of scoring.

1) You have never seen either of the other two play offense in college

2) Are you serious? Do some research, Mark Adams is one of the best defensive basketball minds in the sport.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I actually agree with 2 coach.
Wilson - obvious lock to play a lot next year
Mccullar - will have to adjust a little to self. But should be a good fit with the way he plays defense and passes. And should have a huge head start on the freshman
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:06 am The mystery is who plays the most minutes at the 5.

My worry is that KJ ends transferring after being edged out by Udeh who has a defined position, is bigger, is also crazy athletic, and can protect the rim. KJ is not a 5 and is not a rim protector, so any expected minutes at the 5 for him seem vulnerable.

I love KJ and think he can develop into something great, but he was somewhat of a project coming in and we are recruiting at a high level again.
KJ seems to be a college tweener who would be great if he was either 3 inches taller or a better perimeter player. I hope he develops into an elite player but it feels to me that he is vulnerable to getting passed on a depth chart by someone with more traditional measureables.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

KJ plays too hard and his defense is too elite for self not to find him a role. But it will be interesting where when and how he is used
Last edited by randylahey on Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:12 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:34 am The other 2 are also more talented than him offensively. We are replacing a lot of scoring.

1) You have never seen either of the other two play offense in college

2) Are you serious? Do some research, Mark Adams is one of the best defensive basketball minds in the sport.
1) I'll ignore the tone in an effort to stay on topic.

2) One of the best, yes. Best doesn't = complex.

I posted a link that discusses their system. You can read or ignore. Agree or disagree.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I could see mj rice getting beat out by a lot of these other guys. Hes a physical athletic specimen of a wing, but I dont think his shooting or skills are that good yet. And he's a true freshman with no experience and no clue what he's doing yet. He will have a tough road to carve out a significant role this season
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:14 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:06 am The mystery is who plays the most minutes at the 5.

KJ seems to be a college tweener who would be great if he was either 3 inches taller or a better perimeter player. I hope he develops into an elite player but it feels to me that he is vulnerable to getting passed on a depth chart by someone with more traditional measureables.
Agree. I was a little surprised he returned because I think everyone knew that Jalen was coming back.

If Jalen left, then KJ would have had an obvious spot. McCullar coming in also takes some minutes from KJ, but we had to add him with CB leaving.

If KJ leaves, he'll probably end up haunting us in some early tournament or NCAA tourney down the road.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

With the lack of shooters and an automatic go-to scorer on the block, you're going to see Bill ugly games up and play tenacious defense. Outside of when Clemence is in and possibly Udeh, switching at all 5 spots. On offense, a lot of weave again for downhill attacks. Position-less basketball.

It doesn't sound all that much different than what Tech did this last season.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:21 am With the lack of shooters and an automatic go-to scorer on the block, you're going to see Bill ugly games up and play tenacious defense. Outside of when Clemence is in and possibly Udeh, switching at all 5 spots. On offense, a lot of weave again for downhill attacks. Position-less basketball.

Self gets his players better looks at cleaner shots than Tech does. Tech really doesn't run very good offensive sets at all, which is why I am not terribly concerned about any perceived offensive "issues" that McCullar is thought to have.

If one of the freshmen is good enough at both ends of the floor to start over McCullar then KU will be really good. I just see the McCullar as way ahead of any freshman on the defensive end and performance at that end always seems to be a priority to Self, especially early in the season.

We have lots of interesting parts on this team and we will cause a lot of weird mismatches similar to what Tech did last season with all their weird shaped players. Harris is freaky long armed, McCullar is oddly sized for his skill set, Wilson and Adams aren't the typical size for the games they play. Gradey is probably taller than most of the guys he will match up against and Clemence can drag a big defender out to the perimeter more than your average big.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:29 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:21 am With the lack of shooters and an automatic go-to scorer on the block, you're going to see Bill ugly games up and play tenacious defense. Outside of when Clemence is in and possibly Udeh, switching at all 5 spots. On offense, a lot of weave again for downhill attacks. Position-less basketball.

Self gets his players better looks at cleaner shots than Tech does. Tech really doesn't run very good offensive sets at all, which is why I am not terribly concerned about any perceived offensive "issues" that McCullar is thought to have.

If one of the freshmen is good enough at both ends of the floor to start over McCullar then KU will be really good. I just see the McCullar as way ahead of any freshman on the defensive end and performance at that end always seems to be a priority to Self, especially early in the season.

We have lots of interesting parts on this team and we will cause a lot of weird mismatches similar to what Tech did last season with all their weird shaped players. Harris is freaky long armed, McCullar is oddly sized for his skill set, Wilson and Adams aren't the typical size for the games they play. Gradey is probably taller than most of the guys he will match up against and Clemence can drag a big defender out to the perimeter more than your average big.
That's exactly how I see it other than I think it is wild to think that both freshman will force McCullar to a lesser role. McCullar is closer to being our top player in minutes than he is being behind all of Dick, Rice, and Yesufu.

It seems like a team that can play with anyone in the country, but is also very beatable. Get us down by double digits, and I bet we're toast. Only guy that can bring us out of that would be Gradey already being a lotto pick, but I'd like Jalen to surprise us and become a dog.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Udeh is another hard player to guess his role. He's a raw freshman with tremendous upside. Should be the best rim protector on the team with his length and athleticism

But hes a true freshman. A lot of the time those athletic bigs are horrible when they get to college. Cause they are used to dominating by just being bigger and more athletic. And their skillsets are awful