2022-2023 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Re: 2022-2023 Lineup

Post by randylahey »

Nobody has even really mentioned cam Martin either. What if he surprises us and is good enough to play
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Give me Udeh all damn day over Cam.

Mitch worked last season for things he has which Cam has none of.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:36 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:29 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:21 am With the lack of shooters and an automatic go-to scorer on the block, you're going to see Bill ugly games up and play tenacious defense. Outside of when Clemence is in and possibly Udeh, switching at all 5 spots. On offense, a lot of weave again for downhill attacks. Position-less basketball.

It doesn't sound all that much different than what Tech did this last season.
Self gets his players better looks at cleaner shots than Tech does. Tech really doesn't run very good offensive sets at all, which is why I am not terribly concerned about any perceived offensive "issues" that McCullar is thought to have.

If one of the freshmen is good enough at both ends of the floor to start over McCullar then KU will be really good. I just see the McCullar as way ahead of any freshman on the defensive end and performance at that end always seems to be a priority to Self, especially early in the season.

We have lots of interesting parts on this team and we will cause a lot of weird mismatches similar to what Tech did last season with all their weird shaped players. Harris is freaky long armed, McCullar is oddly sized for his skill set, Wilson and Adams aren't the typical size for the games they play. Gradey is probably taller than most of the guys he will match up against and Clemence can drag a big defender out to the perimeter more than your average big.
That's exactly how I see it other than I think it is wild to think that both freshman will force McCullar to a lesser role. McCullar is closer to being our top player in minutes than he is being behind all of Dick, Rice, and Yesufu.

It seems like a team that can play with anyone in the country, but is also very beatable. Get us down by double digits, and I bet we're toast. Only guy that can bring us out of that would be Gradey already being a lotto pick, but I'd like Jalen to surprise us and become a dog.
Agreed. McCullar feels to me like the third largest "lock" from a starting/minutes perspective.

As far as coming back from big deficits, the one thing I think the team will have going for it is the same thing last year's team could do which is to just shut down an opponent's offense and get a bunch of transition buckets. In the NCAA title game comeback against Carolina, Kansas started the second half down 40-25 and fought back to get the game tied at 50-50. They did not hit a single three point shot during that 25-10 stretch. Remy hit KU's first three pointer of the second half to give KU a 53-50 lead. I think next year's team could have a similar ability when down big.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:41 am Nobody has even really mentioned cam Martin either. What if he surprises us and is good enough to play
If he gives us more than Adams or Clemence gave us last season then that's found money in my opinion.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:46 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:29 am

Self gets his players better looks at cleaner shots than Tech does. Tech really doesn't run very good offensive sets at all, which is why I am not terribly concerned about any perceived offensive "issues" that McCullar is thought to have.

If one of the freshmen is good enough at both ends of the floor to start over McCullar then KU will be really good. I just see the McCullar as way ahead of any freshman on the defensive end and performance at that end always seems to be a priority to Self, especially early in the season.

We have lots of interesting parts on this team and we will cause a lot of weird mismatches similar to what Tech did last season with all their weird shaped players. Harris is freaky long armed, McCullar is oddly sized for his skill set, Wilson and Adams aren't the typical size for the games they play. Gradey is probably taller than most of the guys he will match up against and Clemence can drag a big defender out to the perimeter more than your average big.
That's exactly how I see it other than I think it is wild to think that both freshman will force McCullar to a lesser role. McCullar is closer to being our top player in minutes than he is being behind all of Dick, Rice, and Yesufu.

It seems like a team that can play with anyone in the country, but is also very beatable. Get us down by double digits, and I bet we're toast. Only guy that can bring us out of that would be Gradey already being a lotto pick, but I'd like Jalen to surprise us and become a dog.
Agreed. McCullar feels to me like the third largest "lock" from a starting/minutes perspective.

As far as coming back from big deficits, the one thing I think the team will have going for it is the same thing last year's team could do which is to just shut down an opponent's offense and get a bunch of transition buckets. In the NCAA title game comeback against Carolina, Kansas started the second half down 40-25 and fought back to get the game tied at 50-50. They did not hit a single three point shot during that 25-10 stretch. Remy hit KU's first three pointer of the second half to give KU a 53-50 lead. I think next year's team could have a similar ability when down big.
Right on the defense. The transition offense, though, was led by Braun whom was an absolute killer there and then Remy with self-created shots.

McCullar has a little bit of Braun in him, but needs to shore up that jumper. Very few teams have a Remy, and this one likely won't (Dick?). And then no block scorer to finish it out like Dave did.

The personnel just might not be there, but the hope here is that the defense won't allow a big deficit in the first place. If we play at Rupp, we will know where we stand.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

randylahey wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:41 am Nobody has even really mentioned cam Martin either. What if he surprises us and is good enough to play
Cam is still at KU because he dates a smoking hot softball player. Not to play minutes in important games.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:48 am
NDballer13 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:46 am You don't get one of the nations top defenses simply by "hey, you guard that guy." He's also spent 3 years game planning against Self, so naturally has a leg up on the other newcomers in understanding the system. Even if he's never played in it.

Some obviously don't like it, but Self has done this long enough for people to know what to expect. Freshman who are more talented offensively aren't going to play over upperclassmen who are better defenders. The better offensively argument really only matters if you rely on a break you down style of offense, which won't be either Rice's or Dick's role this year. Self and Co. are more interested in being in position to score before you get the ball.
So you're not predicting that two 18 years olds are going to play over a 22-year-old who has shown that he might be the best defender in the Big 12? Do you know Bill Self or something?
He actually called me before offering McCullar. Said he was interested in coming, but wanted my opinion before bringing him in. Said don't bring him if you plan to play the two freshman above him.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:55 am

Right on the defense. The transition offense, though, was led by Braun whom was an absolute killer there and then Remy with self-created shots.

McCullar has a little bit of Braun in him, but needs to shore up that jumper. Very few teams have a Remy, and this one likely won't (Dick?). And then no block scorer to finish it out like Dave did.

The personnel just might not be there, but the hope here is that the defense won't allow a big deficit in the first place. If we play at Rupp, we will know where we stand.
Martin did not make a single basket in that 25-10 run vs. Carolina to get the game tied. His first basket of the 2nd half was that three once we had the game tied. I agree that Braun's aggressiveness was a huge key but conceptually, that aggressiveness can be reproduced by another player.

I was just using that specific run because it was A) memorable and B) showed that we don't need a team of great shooters nailing threes to cut a double digit lead. I think next year's team will have the defenders and transition players needed to do it if necessary.

Heck, coming back from double digits down seems to be a staple of Self-coached teams dating back several years to Graham/Lucas vs. West Virginia and beyond and his teams have been able to do it in a number of different ways but it has always included stringing together multiple stops and getting out in transition.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:13 am

Martin did not make a single basket in that 25-10 run vs. Carolina to get the game tied. His first basket of the 2nd half was that three once we had the game tied. I agree that Braun's aggressiveness was a huge key but conceptually, that aggressiveness can be reproduced by another player.

I was just using that specific run because it was A) memorable and B) showed that we don't need a team of great shooters nailing threes to cut a double digit lead. I think next year's team will have the defenders and transition players needed to do it if necessary.

Heck, coming back from double digits down seems to be a staple of Self-coached teams dating back several years to Graham/Lucas vs. West Virginia and beyond and his teams have been able to do it in a number of different ways but it has always included stringing together multiple stops and getting out in transition.
Remy hit the 3 to tie the game and then Jalen had the and-1 to go up 3, no? Maybe Och’s and-1 tied it first.

Either way, doesn’t matter. I generally agree. But do think 3’s are important for most comebacks. We lost our 3 best 3 point shooters. Replace with Dick, who might be better than all 4, but then some question marks with Rice and McC. Different team that will have stronger and weaker points than 2022.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

3's are nice to have for a comeback, but it seems what is not being mentioned is probably the most important thing needed for a comeback. Stopping the other team from scoring. Harris will do what he does on the ball. McCullar is a Naismith finalist for NDPOY. Dick has supposedly be labeled an underrated defender. Udeh has better rim protecting instincts than Dave did. KJ can lock up pretty much any position.

I think we're going to see a lot of 4-5 minutes stretches without the other team scoring next season and has potential to go down as one of Self's best defensive teams.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:31 am 3's are nice to have for a comeback, but it seems what is not being mentioned is probably the most important thing needed for a comeback. Stopping the other team from scoring. Harris will do what he does on the ball. McCullar is a Naismith finalist for NDPOY. Dick has supposedly be labeled an underrated defender. Udeh has better rim protecting instincts than Dave did. KJ can lock up pretty much any position.

I think we're going to see a lot of 4-5 minutes stretches without the other team scoring next season and has potential to go down as one of Self's best defensive teams.
Definitely. twocoach and I and everyone else are on the same page it starts with defense, especially with this team. I guess the only thing I am sure of is that if you are down by 15 points, then you need to score at least 16 more to win.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:25 am

Remy hit the 3 to tie the game and then Jalen had the and-1 to go up 3, no? Maybe Och’s and-1 tied it first.

Either way, doesn’t matter. I generally agree. But do think 3’s are important for most comebacks. We lost our 3 best 3 point shooters. Replace with Dick, who might be better than all 4, but then some question marks with Rice and McC. Different team that will have stronger and weaker points than 2022.
Agbaji and-one to tie (I think that was that sweet seal-off by DMac), Remy's three to go up three and then Wilson's and-one to go up 6 after the steal by Harris.

Agree on the shooters, lots of unknowns there. We have some potential there but nothing proven that I feel super confident about yet. Self will find a way.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:41 am

Agbaji and-one to tie (I think that was that sweet seal-off by DMac), Remy's three to go up three and then Wilson's and-one to go up 6 after the steal by Harris.
That's right. Hate that we didn't blow them out after that, but that's a lot of energy.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:40 am
NDballer13 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:31 am 3's are nice to have for a comeback, but it seems what is not being mentioned is probably the most important thing needed for a comeback. Stopping the other team from scoring. Harris will do what he does on the ball. McCullar is a Naismith finalist for NDPOY. Dick has supposedly be labeled an underrated defender. Udeh has better rim protecting instincts than Dave did. KJ can lock up pretty much any position.

Definitely. twocoach and I and everyone else are on the same page it starts with defense, especially with this team. I guess the only thing I am sure of is that if you are down by 15 points, then you need to score at least 16 more to win.
We have the parts to be another excellent defensive team so I think we have a solid base to work from.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Even given the offensive limitations, I just think this team will be too good defensively to see many 15 point deficits. Not saying there won't be times where they'll be down a few possessions late and points are needed in a hurry. I'm just not anticipating many large comebacks needed.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:43 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:41 am

That's right. Hate that we didn't blow them out after that, but that's a lot of energy.
What I liked was that we didn't even get gassed, Carolina just responded and made some buckets. RJ Davis bookended a missed Harris three that was a good look with two made shots and then that Johnson kid, who played so out of his own mind that he later puked himself, made a big three to tie it at 57 all.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NDballer13 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:48 am

Even given the offensive limitations, I just think this team will be too good defensively to see many 15 point deficits. Not saying there won't be times where they'll be down a few possessions late and points are needed in a hurry. I'm just not anticipating many large comebacks needed.
Any team can get down big if they go ice cold. Even Golden State has games where they just can't make any shots. It happens to the literal "best of them".
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Damn, now you guys are getting me all revved up and we still have 5 MONTHS.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:49 am
NDballer13 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:48 am

Any team can get down big if they go ice cold. Even Golden State has games where they just can't make any shots. It happens to the literal "best of them".
Agreed. My point was that even if KU goes on one of their patented cold spells, the defense will still be elite enough to not let the opponent get hot at the same time. KU could go 7 minutes without a FG and the run could still only be sometihng like 9-0.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

OK then debbie downer time, I think that the team is 3-seedy talent wise but Self gets them to the back end of the 2's. Noticeably worse than UK and UNC.

Big 12 goes:

UT
KU
TCU
Baylor, b/c Scott Drew sucks.