serve and protect

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: serve and protect

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:53 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:39 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:24 am

your reality is not my reality at my two local HS. both have full time resource officers on site.

it is a wonderful arrangement that is working wonderfully.
For you "all or nothing" folks, I did not state that it is having that effect at every single school. Just that it is resulting in an increase.
You seem more all or nothing than Mich tbh.

You've argued with me against single entry and door locks. Security guards. Etc.

If we can't quickly get gun bans done, which I agree need to happen, then we need to do the other things until we can get AR15s off the streets and out of the hands of crazy people.
I have argued against them being the only solution as they alone are not solutions on their own. None of these things are. And I have said nothing about gun bans, that is a different argument entirely.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:07 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:39 am
For you "all or nothing" folks, I did not state that it is having that effect at every single school. Just that it is resulting in an increase.

You've argued with me against single entry and door locks. Security guards. Etc.

If we can't quickly get gun bans done, which I agree need to happen, then we need to do the other things until we can get AR15s off the streets and out of the hands of crazy people.
I have argued against them being the only solution as they alone are not solutions on their own. None of these things are. And I have said nothing about gun bans, that is a different argument entirely.
Nobody has ever said they are the "only" solution though.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:10 am
twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:07 am

Nobody has ever said they are the "only" solution though.
The reasonings I have provided in my arguments are the reasonings as to why they are lower on my priority list than reducing access to AR15s and high capacity magazines.

Someone, anyone, please provide me an "unintended negative consequence" of AR15s being reclassified as Class 3 weapons, which would up the age to 21 and increase the hoops needed to jump through to purchase them as well as the monitoring of those who do still purchase them.
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

The school resource officer at my high school spent all of his time trying to find reasons to search students’ vehicles in order to find drugs or contraband. Total dick bag.
Ain't no seats
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I remember one time I got called into my school resource officer's office. Thought I was in trouble.

I walk in, he's on the phone, but gestures for me to take a seat.

He continues his convo for several minutes, enthusiastically talking about guns. He and the guy on the other end apparently busted a lot of caps at the range recently.

Finally, he hangs up. Show time. What seems to be the officer, problem?

I drove a Mustang at the time (don't even get me started), and when he called me into his office, he was looking only for meathead car guy talk. I thought it would be some warning like "we better not catch you hot rodding," but the tone was much more "bro do you ever take that thing hot rodding?!"

It wasn't "street racing is bad mmmkay" it was "I bet that thing could take a stock Camaro on the street couldn't it!!!"

He then gave me his card, which was offered as sort of an ambiguous invite to go cruising with him and his fast and furious bros some time.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Wiff wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:40 pm The school resource officer at my high school spent all of his time trying to find reasons to search students’ vehicles in order to find drugs or contraband. Total dick bag.
We have had similar experiences with them at our district's high school. One of them took my daughter's Starbucks tea out of her hand and put it right up under his nose and sniffed it like he was looking for alcohol in it. She obviously tossed it after that. So creepy and gross.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

guys, this is a thread for bashing cops

if you wanna bash school resource officers, take it elsewhere
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:56 pm
Wiff wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:40 pm The school resource officer at my high school spent all of his time trying to find reasons to search students’ vehicles in order to find drugs or contraband. Total dick bag.
We have had similar experiences with them at our district's high school. One of them took my daughter's Starbucks tea out of her hand and put it right up under his nose and sniffed it like he was looking for alcohol in it. She obviously tossed it after that. So creepy and gross.
Power play
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

japhy wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:11 am There we go with the "pipeline" thing again. Pipelines are just inanimate hollow tubular objects used for transportation of liquids and now we have to make them into metaphors for social injustice?

Then again maybe it is a vernacular figure of speech and I can accept it at that. I'll have to overthink about that awhile.
An actual pipeline transports liquids in your definition. In my metaphoric use, the pipeline transported minorities from school to prison.

Balls are fragile parts in an awkward place that make sperm and produce testosterone. Testosterone is the male hormone that's responsible for changes that occur during puberty. Surges in testosterone produce risky behavior, aggressiveness, showing off, and the urge for copulation. Balls are very sensitive and susceptible to pain due to a great number of densely packed nerve endings in a small area. Finding a suitable metaphor here to fit Capitol Police Officer Caroline Edwards would be really stretching it.

I know "balls" being equated with bravery and machoism is a common use of the word, but when you think about it, it is misplaced. Like parking in a driveway and driving on a parkway.

edit to add: and it is just so ironic because balls are laughably sensitive
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:53 pm I remember one time I got called into my school resource officer's office. Thought I was in trouble.

He continues his convo for several minutes, enthusiastically talking about guns. He and the guy on the other end apparently busted a lot of caps at the range recently.

I drove a Mustang at the time (don't even get me started), and when he called me into his office, he was looking only for meathead car guy talk. I thought it would be some warning like "we better not catch you hot rodding," but the tone was much more "bro do you ever take that thing hot rodding?!"

It wasn't "street racing is bad mmmkay" it was "I bet that thing could take a stock Camaro on the street couldn't it!!!"

He then gave me his card, which was offered as sort of an ambiguous invite to go cruising with him and his fast and furious bros some time.
Did you ever consider that he might have been “propositioning” you?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

zsn wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:03 pm
ousdahl wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:53 pm I remember one time I got called into my school resource officer's office. Thought I was in trouble.

Did you ever consider that he might have been “propositioning” you?
No doubt about it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

DrPepper wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:25 pm
japhy wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:11 am There we go with the "pipeline" thing again. Pipelines are just inanimate hollow tubular objects used for transportation of liquids and now we have to make them into metaphors for social injustice?

Then again maybe it is a vernacular figure of speech and I can accept it at that. I'll have to overthink about that awhile.
An actual pipeline transports liquids in your definition. In my metaphoric use, the pipeline transported minorities from school to prison.

Balls are fragile parts in an awkward place that make sperm and produce testosterone. Testosterone is the male hormone that's responsible for changes that occur during puberty. Surges in testosterone produce risky behavior, aggressiveness, showing off, and the urge for copulation. Balls are very sensitive and susceptible to pain due to a great number of densely packed nerve endings in a small area. Finding a suitable metaphor here to fit Capitol Police Officer Caroline Edwards would be really stretching it.

I know "balls" being equated with bravery and machoism is a common use of the word, but when you think about it, it is misplaced. Like parking in a driveway and driving on a parkway.

potd
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

It took some huge balls to post this.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

sounds like a Betty White bit
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Overlander wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:26 pm

It took some huge balls to post this.
I'd say she is pretty spot on. Except for maybe the placement. Not sure where else they would go.
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

"And if they don't want to give you fucking back up they obviously don't give a shit about you"

Nailed it.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sometimes cops do serve and protect and are able to positively impact those that they serve.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/11/us/troop ... index.html

I am not a religious man and probably would have answered "no thank you" to this officer's question but I am happy to hear that he put himself out there and was able to provide a positive moment for a family that was going through a hard time. Hats off to this officer for a job well done.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I thought it was a nice story and clearly both "parties" were willing participants in the prayer - and it comforted them at the time - so I am going to refrain from elaborating on my own personal "thoughts and prayers" feelings.

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

That is a nice story. The kind that we don't hear very often but I'm sure happens all the time. Thanks for sharing.
Defense. Rebounds.