Draft Watch

Kansas Basketball.
KU76erfan

Re: Draft Watch

Post by KU76erfan »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:31 pm At least he's honest.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfKpbFhD8_E/
Already with a Richard Mille, it seems. Interesting.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

COACH K GET ON THE ROTARY AND DIAL YOUR GENTLEMAN
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Draft side note my guess is only a handful of people realize.
Keegan Murray went 4 to the Kings.
Next Ivey went 5th to the Pistons.
Murray's agent is the father of the Piston's Executive VP of Business and Basketball Operations (and Chief of Staff).
Would have been a nice story (to me) if Murray want to the Pistons.
Meanwhile, the Pistons are very happy to get Ivey and Ivey is very happy to be a Piston. Which I kind of roll my eyes at.

Moving on......
I have no idea what the Bools got with Dalen Terry.
I feel they might as well have traded the pick for a pick next season.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

From a pure career earnings perspective, 10 all-star appearances is likely to pay a lot better than 2 rings.

Or am just going for devil’s advocate downer pity?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He's guaranteed 26 million dollars in 3 years.
That's 13 times more than the average American will make in a lifetime.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what's your point, Qusdahl?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

KU76erfan wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:40 am

Already with a Richard Mille, it seems. Interesting.
They rent a lot of that ice for draft day. Lots of similar neck and wrist pieces last night for the top guys.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

From the Cavs fan site:

HaroldRamis
The gambler in me loves that he was clutch in the tournament
The statistician in me loves that he shot 37.3% from 3 in college
The realist in me loves that he has a 6'10.25" wingspan
The fan in me loves [that he is] a champion
The stoner in me loves that his birthday is 4/20/00
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:40 pm overall this draft coverage sucks. Stephen A Smith is awful.
As soon as I saw that Smith was on the ABC coverage, I switched and watched the ESPN coverage. Other than them asking Bilas the exact same question over and over and over forcing him to repeat the same list of players over and over and neither guy ever accurately predicting who a team would take, the coverage was fine.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:24 am Ochai likely earned himself 8.5 million more guaranteed dollars ( likely closer to 12-15 as most 4 and 5 year options of lotto guys are picked up ) by returning to school.

B12POY. 1st team AA. National Champ.
Guaranteed millions.

Helluva story.
Coach K had to be streamed in remotely to congratulate his players because he couldn't be bothered to attend in person like Self did. Happy to see Self out there with his guys but letting them have the stage. Just had two players in the Top 21 and didn't make it about him or KU.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The other guys even seemed to be aware of and poke fun at the whole Smith routine. At one point they said something about how he hadn't sucked the air out of the room in a while, let him start talking, 3 words in he starts right back up with the "boiling teakettle" schtick, and they laughingly cut him off.

I guess I thought the other "get to know the players" elements of the coverage was just so generic, but maybe that's inevitable. It was far less questions specific to a player's game or unique personal background, and more just like "my favorite food is Olive Garden" type canned questions.

And the chick on the couches interviewing the players asked lame questions and seemed to stumble over her own thoughts and stuff. And every interview seemed to be the same. "So happy, dream come true, I'm gonna play real good for my new team." But again, maybe just inevitable. Drafts are better to just read a list of results after the fact, rather than expect some actual prime-time entertainment out of it.

At least glad that Och and CB went where they went, and that Self got plenty of airtime too.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:53 am
pdub wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:24 am Ochai likely earned himself 8.5 million more guaranteed dollars ( likely closer to 12-15 as most 4 and 5 year options of lotto guys are picked up ) by returning to school.

Guaranteed millions.

Helluva story.
Coach K had to be streamed in remotely to congratulate his players because he couldn't be bothered to attend in person like Self did. Happy to see Self out there with his guys but letting them have the stage. Just had two players in the Top 21 and didn't make it about him or KU.
K looked rough as hell too, but I guess that comes with the territory of being 800 years old.

but shit, 5 dookies drafted, with 4 in the first round.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:53 am

Guaranteed millions.

Helluva story.
I was glad Self was there too.

But remember lots of years where we hated on Cal for being in the green room.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:12 pm 21st to the Nuggets. Way to go Haunkey Taunk!
twocoach wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:14 pm Wow, surprised Braun went that high but that is awesome.
Love that these two were the first one to celebrate CB and eat the crow. 2 first rounders on the "untalented" 2022 team. Rock Chalk.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And Coach K, with those dudes, goes out x 2 to his rival, UNC.
Last home game.
Last game ever.

Magical.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I have seen articles spinning the night as a big win for Duke. The truth is 180-degrees the other way. It was a panic sale. They cashed in on the ratface mystique one last time, depleting the reserve. I had forgotten their names by the end of the draft. Ratface will be a distant memory like Norm Stewart.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Feels like such a weak draft, though.

First 3 picks were set in stone, but looking at those guys, most drafts you're thinking they go like 4-5-6 overall. Och seems like a nice plug-and-play get for a contending team in the 20's that is quite a bit closer to his ceiling than the lotto picks. CB has early second-round talent. The international players don't jump off the page--feels like the depth is missing that the 2021 draft also had on top of Tier 1 players at the top.

Great time for Och and CB to strike the iron. Jalen (and McCullar) had to be pretty close to staying in the draft.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

weren't there like a bajillion Jalens drafted, too?

Not that that matters.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Sparko wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:14 am I have seen articles spinning the night as a big win for Duke. The truth is 180-degrees the other way. It was a panic sale. They cashed in on the ratface mystique one last time, depleting the reserve. I had forgotten their names by the end of the draft. Ratface will be a distant memory like Norm Stewart.
Jon Scheyer got some mug time too last night.

I imagine the Dook brand (and $$$) will be enough to keep him recruiting at a high level for at least a couple more seasons. Maybe that'll be enough to establish himself as a coach. But if he doesn't keep winning, I dunno if Dook will keep their rep and keep getting multiple OADs/draft picks every year.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think it depends a lot on Hubert Davis.

When Roy went over to UNC, he kind of dominated the ACC for the better part of a decade. 3 natties too. duke was playing second fiddle. Then K worked the USA loophole and Roy got old.

Media love Hubert. He will recruit. If he develops, maintains, can coach, a changing of the guard is not out of the question.