F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: F the NCAA

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Sounds like she's the perfect person for the job. More than qualified. Lots of experience.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Speaking of Duke, of course they pass this after Coach K retires as he was the biggest proponent and teacher of flopping the game has ever known.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/6/9/medi ... tball.aspx
Deleted User 863

Weird statement.

Good rule.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Media timeouts
Conferences as well as the National Invitation Tournament can experiment using five media timeouts on the first dead-ball situations under the 17-minute, 14-minute, 11-minute, 8-minute and 4-minute marks of the second half.

The rationale is to help the flow of the game so commercial breaks will not be taken when teams use their allotted timeouts.

Leave it to the NCAA to think MORE stoppage will help the flow of the game.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Good. IMO, flopping and flailing is not a basketball play. It drives me nuts when Jayhawks act like their head is going to spontaneously fly into the stands (looking at you Devonte' Graham😍).
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

NCAA Says It’s Investigating ‘Potential Violations’ Regarding NIL

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2022/06 ... violations

:lol:
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

Good. Punish the cheaters. That's the entire point of having rules.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It's pretty stupid. They're going to get smoked on that. They don't know what is up, down, left, or right when it comes to NIL.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Probably a good time to bring up again that the NCAA spent about $120 million in outside counsel fees in Fiscal Years 2020 and 2021.

Stop and think about that absurdity.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:15 pm Probably a good time to bring up again that the NCAA spent about $120 million in outside counsel fees in Fiscal Years 2020 and 2021.

Stop and think about that absurdity.
Is "absurdity" the right word, though?

I mean, yes, it's absurd (ethically, morally, logically, practically) for the NCAA to have gone to the lengths it has to preserve the (failed and wrong) status quo.

BUT - the NCAA isn't really anything in and of itself. It is a trade association, comprising its member schools. The NCAA would not have spent that sort of money without the backing of its member schools.

So, the member schools (and their leadership/financial base) clearly thought that, whatever amount of spending in furtherance of preserving the status quo might be too much, $120mm over two years is below that threshold.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:32 pm Media timeouts
Conferences as well as the National Invitation Tournament can experiment using five media timeouts on the first dead-ball situations under the 17-minute, 14-minute, 11-minute, 8-minute and 4-minute marks of the second half.

The rationale is to help the flow of the game so commercial breaks will not be taken when teams use their allotted timeouts.

I think a better idea would be to formalize that if an allotted timeout is taken within one minute of the media timeout then it would be considered as the media break and no additional break would be taken.

How often have we seen a team call a timeout with 12:35 on the clock, have a commercial break then have a dead ball situation at 11:50 and have another break!!
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

zsn wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:22 pm
NDballer13 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:32 pm Media timeouts

I think a better idea would be to formalize that if an allotted timeout is taken within one minute of the media timeout then it would be considered as the media break and no additional break would be taken.

How often have we seen a team call a timeout with 12:35 on the clock, have a commercial break then have a dead ball situation at 11:50 and have another break!!
IIRC, they actually tried that for a bit one season and realized they missed out on so much ad revenue, or sponsors were upset they didn't get the guaranteed number of plays during a time slot.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Why NIL has been good for college sports ... and the hurdles that remain

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... les-remain
July 1st marks the one-year anniversary of college athletes finally being allowed to monetize their name, image and likeness (NIL), something that literally every other person in America is allowed to do without regulation or restriction. Until a year ago, college athletes were limited to a scholarship and stipend due to the NCAA's "principle of amateurism." Their sports were to be pursued for the "love of the game" and nothing more, even while the administrators of the game turned college sports into a multibillion dollar entertainment industry that generates over $19 billion per year.

A year ago, the NCAA was forced to give up on amateurism -- a principle that has never been defined -- due to numerous state laws being passed allowing athletes NIL rights and a devastating, unanimous loss before the United States Supreme Court in the Alston case in which the NCAA was again ruled to be a federal antitrust violator. Conceptually, NIL means that college athletes can now earn and accept money doing commercial endorsements, appearances and social media posts, writing books, hosting camps, giving lessons and performing various other commercial activities outside of their schools, all without running afoul of NCAA rules. Even though the NCAA was essentially forced to allow such outside compensation to athletes, after decades of spending millions upon millions of dollars in legal fees to deny athletes any economic rights, the NCAA heralded this change as a good and welcome thing ... as long as it remained limited and did not become "pay for play."

The mental gymnastics it takes to deconstruct the NCAA's arguments over what is "pay for play" and what is not will be left for another day. Here, let's examine some of the many positives NIL has brought, along with some of the ongoing challenges and perceived negatives, and determine whether those stated negatives and complaints are really so bad.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Will this lead to schools offering contracts to athletes someday? That is one outcome I see as not only possible, but preferable."

Yea, that's a big whiff for me Jay.

"1. NIL is here to stay. 2. Get used to it."

1. Sure, no doubt.
2. I don't have to get used to anything.
"Hey, your favorite BBQ restaurant stopped serving BBQ. They do acai bowls now. Get used to it."
"Or, I can just not go there nearly as often, no?"
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

The "get used to it" is for the people who stick around and still watch. If you don't want to watch or support it anymore, that's up to you. The point is don't sit and watch every game and then bitch about it the whole time.

It would be like buying a ticket to a basketball game and then complaining the whole time because they aren't playing baseball. You know exactly what you're getting, so you can either "get used to it" and accept it, or go elsewhere, because it's not changing anytime soon.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i remember when collegiate athletics used to be awesome.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I thouroughly enjoyed the 2021-22 men's basketball season. Start to finish. Hell, football was great. Even the CWS was exciting.

But, that's just me I guess.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Qusdahl's still pissed off that Mitch got the hookup on chicken nuggets.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:12 am The "get used to it" is for the people who stick around and still watch. If you don't want to watch or support it anymore, that's up to you. The point is don't sit and watch every game and then bitch about it the whole time.
Fair point but I can bitch if I want to.
It's what this bored is for!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

but shit, trying to claim the on-court college hoops product pre- and post-NIL is suddenly as materially different as BBQ and açaí bowls, man that's dramatic.

I kinda wonder if it's worth making some analogy about how the real drama is simply having to acknowledge just how that BBQ sausage has been made all along. And now that folks are actually trying to shed light on that, the outrage!

I'm sure it WOULD taste better if one could convince oneself it wasn't ever actually lips and assholes, it just like magically grew on kielbasa trees or something, sure.