Conference Realignment..?

Kansas Football.
MICHHAWK

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by MICHHAWK »

it is always my preference that KANSAS is BIG 12.

this is a fantastic opportunity for the BIG 12.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:01 am being stuck in a second tier Big 12 (or any other conference) would suck donkey balls
Everything that's not the Big 10 and SEC is very soon going to be, I guess, second tier. Those two conferences are going to put themselves on a tier above everything else for a TON of money.

One bright side: remember how mad we all were that we needed an ESPN+ subscription to see all of the Big 12 action? Just wait until Big 10/SEC fans need cable, ESPN+, Apple TV, Paramount+, and probably whatever streaming service Fox comes up with.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It just feels like we are headed towards 2-3 major conferences who then leave the NCAA, and they then create regions for scheduling purposes, and they then create a governing body to oversee everything.

Which sounds an awful lot like . . .
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:12 am It just feels like we are headed towards 2-3 major conferences who then leave the NCAA, and they then create regions for scheduling purposes, and they then create a governing body to oversee everything.

https://twitter.com/rustindodd/status/1 ... 1845662724
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:13 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:12 am It just feels like we are headed towards 2-3 major conferences who then leave the NCAA, and they then create regions for scheduling purposes, and they then create a governing body to oversee everything.

https://twitter.com/rustindodd/status/1 ... 1845662724
Not surprised at all that Rustin would have beaten me to that.

Bureaucrats blinded and drunk from money often make stupid decisions and rules. That's how we got here in the first place.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:09 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:01 am being stuck in a second tier Big 12 (or any other conference) would suck donkey balls
Everything that's not the Big 10 and SEC is very soon going to be, I guess, second tier. Those two conferences are going to put themselves on a tier above everything else for a TON of money.
that’s exactly my point. i’d prefer KU to be part of the group getting paid

some are convinced that’ll be the case, but i’ve still got my doubts, for a variety of reasons (football prowess, the state of Kansas, a lack of olympic sports, etc.). in fact, really, KU only has two selling points in this discussion…a top b-ball program/brand, and AAU status (and AAU status seems to be more and more an afterthought for many)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:29 am

some are convinced that’ll be the case, but i’ve still got my doubts, for a variety of reasons (football prowess, the state of Kansas, a lack of olympic sports, etc.). in fact, really, KU only has two selling points in this discussion…a top b-ball program/brand, and AAU status (and AAU status seems to be more and more an afterthought for many)
Well that's why we are in the position we are currently in. But, we only have to compete with those leftovers. So compare all that to a school like West Virginia.

Also, if I am Travis Goff, I would see what kind of magic the Kansas City Sports Commission, et al. used to sell the region to FIFA.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

which has the better soccer teams/programs, B1G or SEC?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:33 am

Well that's why we are in the position we are currently in. But, we only have to compete with those leftovers. So compare all that to a school like West Virginia.

Also, if I am Travis Goff, I would see what kind of magic the Kansas City Sports Commission, et al. used to sell the region to FIFA.
Sell your soul.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:49 am which has the better soccer teams/programs, B1G or SEC?
I honestly don't know.

I do think that men's soccer is quite a bit different at the college level because of how the best talent tends to go through the soccer club system at a young age rather than college. And then there is the Title IX thing which has resulted in schools making men's soccer nearly non-existent in some conferences, like the Big 12.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:54 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:33 am

Sell your soul.
Sign me up if it's a B1G invite.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:04 pm
KUTradition wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:49 am which has the better soccer teams/programs, B1G or SEC?
I honestly don't know.

I do think that men's soccer is quite a bit different at the college level because of how the best talent tends to go through the soccer club system at a young age rather than college. And then there is the Title IX thing which has resulted in schools making men's soccer nearly non-existent in some conferences, like the Big 12.
nor do i

i should've been clearer trying to make my point, but your post in the soccer thread pretty much sums it up

i’m not sure the same reasons/justifications can be used in selling KU/KC to the B1G or SEC that were used to sell the area to FIFA (unless you were kinda joking)

perhaps the centralized location could be useful now that USC/UCLA are in the mix with, presumably, other non-eastern-half-of-the-US schools…but even then, i think it would only apply to the B1G (doubt the SEC expands that much further west, but who knows)
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:10 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:04 pm
I honestly don't know.

nor do i

i should've been clearer trying to make my point, but your post in the soccer thread pretty much sums it up

i’m not sure the same reasons/justifications can be used in selling KU/KC to the B1G or SEC that were used to sell the area to FIFA (unless you were kinda joking)

perhaps the centralized location could be useful now that USC/UCLA are in the mix with, presumably, other non-eastern-half-of-the-US schools…but even then, i think it would only apply to the B1G (doubt the SEC expands that much further west, but who knows)
It was not a joke. It's not by any means a perfect comparison, but the WC bid kind of confirms what we knew all along: this is a region that is fanatical over sports, both live viewership and tv viewership. There's a tremendous amount of value there, and KU is thee college in the metro. Don't let a Missouri fan try to convince you otherwise.

The region just punched way above its weight. Do it again.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:10 pmperhaps the centralized location could be useful now that USC/UCLA are in the mix with, presumably, other non-eastern-half-of-the-US schools…but even then, i think it would only apply to the B1G (doubt the SEC expands that much further west, but who knows)
Things are changing, so I don't think SEC expanding its geography can be dismissed.

But these central time zone SEC teams would not be bad for travel for KU (not that I am advocating a move).

Arkansas
Missouri
Miss State
Oklahoma
Ole Miss
Texas
Texas A&M
Vanderbilt

LSU, Auburn, Alabama are also Central Time Zone but might be getting a little far away.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Brett McMurphy has been a well-respected reporter for a while.

Says Big 12 is going to go hard after the Arizona schools and Utah and Colorado. While some members want Oregon and Washington to come along as well. But this has seemed to flip compared to a year ago when Texas and OU announced their decision to leave and the Big 12 was reeling. Big 12 has a chance to be the 3rd best conference in collegiate sports. If they're aggressive enough it could happen.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

We might end up in SEC before the BIG. Missouri and Kentucky every year in basketball would be fun.

Or maybe the big 12 adds Arizona and Arizona State to the other newcomers we already have. That wouldn't be the worst scenario.
shindig

Post by shindig »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:30 pm Brett McMurphy has been a well-respected reporter for a while.

Says Big 12 is going to go hard after the Arizona schools and Utah and Colorado. While some members want Oregon and Washington to come along as well. But this has seemed to flip compared to a year ago when Texas and OU announced their decision to leave and the Big 12 was reeling. Big 12 has a chance to be the 3rd best conference in collegiate sports. If they're aggressive enough it could happen.
With BYU and UCF joining and West Virginia already a member, it seems travel distance is less of a concern, plus the time zone differences. Utah would make sense with BYU joining. I would also add Arizona and Arizona St. That would give the big 12 15 members, I think. Colorado would be a good pick up as well by adding an old Big 8 member back. Also make a pitch to Nebraska and you have 7 original members of the old big 8.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Given the current and future shared TV revenue, Nebraska would be absolutely insane to leave the B1G. Speaking of the B1G, KU needs to do everything possible to land there; a Big XII/PAC combo will never be impervious to poaching and the TV deal will still pale in comparison to the SEC/B1G.

Now if you could somehow start adding PAC AND ACC teams...
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

japhy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:52 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:24 pmsigh
You sound old and tired
You know why that is, dontcha?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
shindig

Post by shindig »

InfiniteJ wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:25 pm Given the current and future shared TV revenue, Nebraska would be absolutely insane to leave the B1G. Speaking of the B1G, KU needs to do everything possible to land there; a Big XII/PAC combo will never be impervious to poaching and the TV deal will still pale in comparison to the SEC/B1G.

Now if you could somehow start adding PAC AND ACC teams...
Go after UNC. That would be awesome.