Jayhawks in the NBA

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Jawhawks in the NBA

Post by pdub »

Embiid would absolutely annihilate guys like Willis Reed and Bob Petit.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:14 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:35 pm Wonder how tall the average center was back in those days?
? what - "tall" means good? You think the guys he played against were chumps? Pffft!
My guess is you don't realize he played against some of these guys and/or you didn't realize some are taller than you thought.
I promise you tall or short - each one of these guys was damn good (most if not all Hall of Famers) and would have been as good if not better than 75% or more of the current NBA Centers.

Kareem 7-2
Gilmore 7-2
Bellamy 6-11
Thurmond 6-11
Russell 6-11
Wesley 6-11
McAdoo 6-10
Reed 6-10
Hayes 6-9
Petit 6-9
Lucas 6-9
Schayes 6-8
Hawkins 6-8
Unseld 6-7
It was just a question gutter. I even found a site that posted height and weight by position for each year over the last 70ish years. I also never said the guys he played against were chumps. Although I do not think those guys would all be better than 75% of current NBA centers.

Carry on kids.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:46 am Embiid would absolutely annihilate guys like Willis Reed and Bob Petit.
Yes.

And pretty much every other player on that list.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:21 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:14 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:35 pm Wonder how tall the average center was back in those days?
? what - "tall" means good? You think the guys he played against were chumps? Pffft!
My guess is you don't realize he played against some of these guys and/or you didn't realize some are taller than you thought.
I promise you tall or short - each one of these guys was damn good (most if not all Hall of Famers) and would have been as good if not better than 75% or more of the current NBA Centers.

Kareem 7-2
Gilmore 7-2
Bellamy 6-11
Thurmond 6-11
Russell 6-11
Wesley 6-11
McAdoo 6-10
Reed 6-10
Hayes 6-9
Petit 6-9
Lucas 6-9
Schayes 6-8
Hawkins 6-8
Unseld 6-7
It was just a question gutter. I even found a site that posted height and weight by position for each year over the last 70ish years. I also never said the guys he played against were chumps. Although I do not think those guys would all be better than 75% of current NBA centers.

Carry on kids.
It was a question that I answered in regards to your previous posts.
I didn't say you said the guys he played against were chumps. I ASKED if you thought they were.
As far as my 75% comment, I stick by it. I don't expect others to agree but I feel it MIGHT be foolish not to agree.
My guess is you never saw any of the guys I mentioned play basketball live. Am I right? Regardless, as I said, most if not all of them were/are hall of famers and damn good basketball players.

There are over 60 Centers in the NBA. Please tell me who other than Embiid, Jokic, and perhaps Gobert and KAT, you feel are definitely better than the guys I listed.

Here is a list of last year's Centers.
http://www.espn.com/nba/hollinger/stati ... position/c
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:46 am Embiid would absolutely annihilate guys like Willis Reed and Bob Petit.
"absolutely annihilate"? Maybe. Maybe not.
My guess is 1970 Willis Reed and most of those who played against him beg to differ.
My guess is 1959 Bob Petitt and most of those who played against him beg to differ.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Deleted User 863

They might disagree, but they'd be wrong.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:04 am They might disagree, but they'd be wrong.
Here we go again. No way to prove it either way. All we have are opinions to debate.
Sorry, I'm not going to pretend Reed and Petitt weren't two of the greatest to play the game and didn't "dominate" some of the others who were the best to have ever played the game.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

After an adjustment period. He would always be ridiculously frustrated with how physical they'd be with him lol. Today's stars are pampered

Imaging a guy like Bill lambeer guarding him
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:17 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:04 am They might disagree, but they'd be wrong.
Here we go again. No way to prove it either way. All we have are opinions to debate.
Sorry, I'm not going to pretend Reed and Petitt weren't two of the greatest to play the game and didn't "dominate" some of the others who were the best to have ever played the game.
Pete Maravich was known as probably the greatest ballhandler ever when he played. Would the same thing be said now, or would he just be another guard? It's not saying those guys are chumps and not great players. It's understanding the evolution of the game and that the elite players, hell even the average players, are that much more skilled than those of 40-50 years ago.

Top 50 of all time looks a lot different today than it did 20 years ago. It's going to look even more different in another 20. And 20 years after that. It's OK to admit new players come into the league and can be better than even the all time greats.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

randylahey wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:52 am
After an adjustment period. He would always be ridiculously frustrated with how physical they'd be with him lol. Today's stars are pampered

Why is it only the current generation that would have to adjust? You don't think the way players play and flop around is directly related to how the game is officiated and rules are enforced now? If your'e assuming Embiid wouldn't change a thing if you plug him into another era, you have to do the same with Lambeer. Lambeer wouldn't last 10 minutes in today's game without fouling out, or more likely getting ejected for a flagrant foul.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:54 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:17 am
Pete Maravich was known as probably the greatest ballhandler ever when he played. Would the same thing be said now, or would he just be another guard? It's not saying those guys are chumps and not great players. It's understanding the evolution of the game and that the elite players, hell even the average players, are that much more skilled than those of 40-50 years ago.

Top 50 of all time looks a lot different today than it did 20 years ago. It's going to look even more different in another 20. And 20 years after that. It's OK to admit new players come into the league and can be better than even the all time greats.
100% agree.
While it's the same sport, it's a different game (in many ways) than it was 30, 40, 50 years ago.
I think today's players as a whole are superior to those of 30, 40, 50 years ago just as I assume people 30, 40, 50 years from now will feel their present day players are superior to todays players.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

What's with illy and the Wilt hate? Dood is probably a dook fan.
Defense. Rebounds.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

NDballer13 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:58 am

Why is it only the current generation that would have to adjust? You don't think the way players play and flop around is directly related to how the game is officiated and rules are enforced now? If your'e assuming Embiid wouldn't change a thing if you plug him into another era, you have to do the same with Lambeer. Lambeer wouldn't last 10 minutes in today's game without fouling out, or more likely getting ejected for a flagrant foul.
You assumed a ton of shit that i never said. Of course both would have to adjust. Most guys from past generations aren't skilled enough to play in today's NBA. Because of how much the game has evolved since then
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Embiid has 35 lbs on Lambier.
And can actually run the court.
If the officials held their whistles and called a physical game, Embiid would do the same and knock Lambier on his ass.

And then next time down the court, drain a three unguarded while Lambier tried to slowly close the space.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

randylahey wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:35 pm
NDballer13 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:58 am

You assumed a ton of shit that i never said. Of course both would have to adjust. Most guys from past generations aren't skilled enough to play in today's NBA. Because of how much the game has evolved since then
It was more of a rhetorical question regarding the comparison of eras. Not assuming, or even claiming, you said anything.

Saying Embiid would be frustrated because today's players are pampered isn't far off from the number of people claiming LeBron could never play in the 80s/90s because of the physicallity, despite being 6'9" 260. Curry would never be as good because he would get bumped off screens, but Reggie Miller's skinny ass was able to have a HOF career.

Your post was along that narrative, so I quoted it with the questions I asked.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“… isn't far off from the number of people claiming LeBron could never play in the 80s/90s because of the physicallity, despite being 6'9" 260”

This one is peak on my knees MJ fan.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Braun ( in that clip ) might be too young to remember seeing Arthur when he played at KU.
He probably was more the 2012 Final Four fan than 2008.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Arthur was a beast.

bummer he got hurt, and particuarly got hurt like right before the offseason he was supposed to sign a big deal.