Formula 1

Other Sports.
zsn
Contributor

Formula 1

Post by zsn »

I’m surprised that this is not one of the common sports (if you qualify it as such) that people follow around here. Especially given the number of automobile enthusiasts. I’ve always been following on a low level. Above tennis and NHL but below college football.

I started watching the Netflix documentary and tried to get my twenty-something engineer daughter to start watching it with me and she very reluctantly joined in. Now she has a subscription to F1 TV and is a full on fiend. She has never really been interested in any sports (other than the bandwagon jumping on Giants and Warriors) but now she’s all gung-ho on F1!!

I do realize that the Netflix documentary created drama and conflict where there’s really nothing but it is well done enough that it’s created a fan out of thin air!

Now to the actual sport: what happened to Mercedes? Seems like they had a major meltdown after Hamilton was robbed of his eighth consecutive title. Looks like the FIA is ganging up against everyone on behalf of Red Bull - Perez got away with one last weekend at Silverstone, late in the race, when he ran Hamilton off the track. Of course, Ferrari is having a meltdown unassisted by anyone.

To me, Red Bull is the Duke counterpart of F1 and Verstappen is Laettner. Horner, the whiny weasel, would be Rat Face.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Formula 1

Post by KUTradition »

i used to watch open wheel fairly regularly back in the Andretti days
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Too many fatalities as a kid watching. I like racing, might be drawn back
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

It’s gotten a lot safer now. The purists were objecting to the “halo” mandate but it’s saved at least a few lives in the last couple of years. Even the most recalcitrant skeptic has come around. Just last weekend Zhou’s life was saved. Crashes are still spectacular!!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

wait....can't drive a truck to work....but racing around, burning through high octane for absolutely 0 reason is ok? Just trying to figure out where the line of acceptable lies.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

TDub wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:10 pm wait....can't drive a truck to work....but racing around, burning through high octane for absolutely 0 reason is ok? Just trying to figure out where the line of acceptable lies.
F1 race car drivers have small penises I hear. Probably big garages/driveways too.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I don’t disagree that the carbon footprint of F1 is unacceptably high. It’s not just the driving around the track. Transportation of equipment and personnel from race to race is highly energy intensive and all of it is fossil fuel based. It’s something that motor sports has to deal with, all the way from Karting, to cyclocross, to NASCAR to Indy.

In fact the carbon footprint of Le Tour is not small, even though the actual race is human powered. The support structure is fuel intensive.

I’m truly conflicted on that aspect. However, the F1 race car engine is one of the most efficient engines on the planet!