The Quotable Self

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

The Quotable Self

Post by ousdahl »

"He does some things that you just can't coach, and he does some things that makes you wonder if he's ever been coached." - on Tyshawn

"There are not many things less important than the score at halftime." - I don't remember when

"Would you rather be down 15 with 20 to go, or down 9 with 2 to go?" 4/4/22

"..uhh, uhh, uhh..." - refrain

Or something like that, I might not be getting those word for word. Except for the uhh uhh uhh.

so what you got?
twocoach

Re: The Quotable Self

Post by twocoach »

"Those places are great, but there's no place like Kansas." - Introduction speech, 2003

“Most every day — if not every day — for the rest of your life, you will be reminded or think of this night. And I want to thank you in advance right now for the great memories it's going to be.” 4/7/08

“It’s the worst team Kansas has ever put on the floor since Dr. Naismith was here. I think he had some bad teams when he lost to Topeka YMCA in his first couple years.” - 2/6/13

“For us to be a team that really has a chance to be a national contender, I mean, we need to get a little bit more athletic,” Self said. “We need to get a little longer and bigger, those sorts of things.” 3/21/21
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

"We good?"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

“Obviously, I’m very honored and flattered and excited and thrilled to be inducted,” Self said, “but my personal opinion is there are a lot of coaches out there who have done more than me. I believe that in my heart.”

“Hopefully, I have a lot more to accomplish before I retire,” Self said. “I was shocked that I would be considered at such a young age. It certainly wasn’t anything I was seeking, by any stretch.”

“We played for the right to eat dessert when dining at the Western Sizzlin,” Self recalled. “It almost got comical that first year. I don’t think too many people were expecting much from us with that being our first year in Division I, but we were close to being one of the biggest jokes in college basketball. Deep in my heart, I thought we would get it turned, but it certainly was wearing on us. I didn’t want to start two walk-ons every game, but that’s kind of what we were left with.”

“Coming to Kansas (in 2003) was tough, but going to Tulsa was the toughest transition I’ve had in terms of winning over the players.”
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:33 am I didn’t want to start two walk-ons every game, but that’s kind of what we were left with.”
Wonder if he ever thought he would be starting a walk-on at Kansas and making a Final Four run with another as the 6th man.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:38 am
KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:33 am I didn’t want to start two walk-ons every game, but that’s kind of what we were left with.”
Wonder if he ever thought he would be starting a walk-on at Kansas and making a Final Four run with another as the 6th man.
the quotes from his Tulsa and ORU days are fascinating and awesome knowing the route he’s taken and where he is now
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

“There’s been too many times we’ve come up one game short,” Self said quietly. “Certainly, that’s what sticks with me more than anything else.”
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:42 am
the quotes from his Tulsa and ORU days are fascinating and awesome knowing the route he’s taken and where he is now
Correct. Which is why I'm curious if that thought ever crossed his mind 10 years later when he took the Kansas job.

Typing that sentence made me realize just how quick he rose the ranks too. Crazy.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:53 am
KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:42 am

Correct. Which is why I'm curious if that thought ever crossed his mind 10 years later when he took the Kansas job.

Typing that sentence made me realize just how quick he rose the ranks too. Crazy.
almost overnight, it seems, he got to a place where he no longer had to really interview for coaching jobs
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“I think it’s bad. In theory, it’s good— freedom of movement, all this stuff—in theory it’s good. I think sometimes it gives young people a way out without actually trying to fight through some things, but, in theory, coaches can move. In theory, kids should be able to move too, but it’s out of control right now where the reason they’re moving is because ‘I can get a bigger NIL deal somewhere else.’ I’m not sure the reason we’re moving are for the right reasons. I think they’re for reasons that sometimes wouldn’t be best for a useful life over time. Because I do think there’s something about us staying somewhere and fighting through some stuff.”
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Kind of crazy the 2003 search came down to Self, Tom Crean, Ernie Kent and someone else (Can't remember who it exactly was) Lester and Hemenway chose correct.

Bill is a great quote. Knows all the media members by name. Relatable.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Arjhawk

Post by Arjhawk »

Those names may have been thrown out, but in my recollection Self was the target from the jump. Not that my two decades old recollections are 100% accurate...
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:51 pm Kind of crazy the 2003 search came down to Self, Tom Crean, Ernie Kent and someone else (Can't remember who it exactly was) Lester and Hemenway chose correct.

Better than when the Mizzou job came down to Bill Self, John Calipari and Quin Snyder... and they picked Quin Snyder.
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:49 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:51 pm Kind of crazy the 2003 search came down to Self, Tom Crean, Ernie Kent and someone else (Can't remember who it exactly was) Lester and Hemenway chose correct.

Better than when the Mizzou job came down to Bill Self, John Calipari and Quin Snyder... and they picked Quin Snyder.
only one coaching the pros, and you think they got that wrong? i think it shows that no one can make mizzou relevant. :)
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

What was that quote this year? Something about not being the most athletic team we've ever had, but they think they are.

Good stuff.
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

hoopla wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:17 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:49 am

only one coaching the pros, and you think they got that wrong? i think it shows that no one can make mizzou relevant. :)
Calipari had just been let go by the New Jersey Nets after 3 seasons so you're "only one coaching the pros" statement is inaccurate. At that point in time yes, they absolutely got that wrong. In typical Mizzou fashion, they went for the shinier hire instead of the right hire and chose a chose with zero head coaching experience because he was a Dukie who was visually appealing over two guys who had proven ncaa success.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Interesting. Supposedly Crean, Matta, Kent, Floyd, and Weber were the top candiates for Illinois to replace Self.
Last edited by RainbowsandUnicorns on Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

oh!

what about that time Self dropped the F bomb in response to twitter rumors about Remy
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:33 am oh!

what about that time Self dropped the F bomb in response to twitter rumors about Remy
Its funnt to think about the Remy rumors now. After watching him get on a roll and help us win the title
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I don't remember the timing, I think it was mid Feb. I had my doubts that he would play again. I'm pretty happy that he did.
Defense. Rebounds.