F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
MICHHAWK

Re: F the NCAA

Post by MICHHAWK »

like jerry jones is the owner of the dallas cowboys franchise. no difference.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd say a white dude calling a black dude an Uncle Tom could be seen as racist.
Certainly more than a white dude saying he doesn't like the way college basketball is shifting.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:27 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:05 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:01 pm Game of Basketball? Check

Played by players representing a college? Errrrr.....Technically, we can call it bread still, right?
Good grief, that's just so ridiculous. Did Kansas win a national title last season or did whatever companies that granted NIL to various KU players win a national title? I can't even name a single company that gave NIL money to a KU player last year without looking it up. Can you?
1-800-gotjunk
Raisin canes
JWils

And many more.
Do you feel that those companies won a national title or that the team representing the University of Kansas did?
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:17 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:07 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:11 pm Oh really?

Un·cle Tom
/ˌəNGkəl ˈtäm/
noun
OFFENSIVE•NORTH AMERICAN
a black man considered to be excessively obedient or servile to white people.
a person regarded as betraying their cultural or social allegiance.
"he called moderates Uncle Toms"
Regarding race does not mean "racist". Take that stupid crap to the Poli board.
"Offensive"

A white person calling a black person an Uncle Tom is racially offensive and insensitive. Borderline racist.

Tell Q to take it to the poli board. Not me. I didn't call anyone an Uncle Tom.

Sorry that I don't get my messageboard giggles from casual racism or using racially offensive terms to describe a black person... and no clue why you're running to defend cascadia saying that uncle tom isn't a racial term when it is.
I agree with pretty much everything Illy has said about this. Regardless, let's get this bullshit out of the sports boards.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Regardless, let's get this bullshit out of the sports boards."

Yes please.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I hope the IARP hands out whatever their ruling is prior to the start of practice so that KU has time to digest what the impact will be. This has been beyond absurd.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:31 pm I am not defending anyone. Just wishing you would ignore a few stupid things here and there so this doesn't become the shit show that you inevitably turn things into.
Speaking of ignoring things....probably should have taken some of your own advice and not jumped into this particular discussion/string of posts (since it had nothing to do with you or anything you said) in the first place.

Hello self awareness right!?!?
Deleted User 863

twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:32 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:27 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:05 pm

Good grief, that's just so ridiculous. Did Kansas win a national title last season or did whatever companies that granted NIL to various KU players win a national title? I can't even name a single company that gave NIL money to a KU player last year without looking it up. Can you?
1-800-gotjunk
Raisin canes
JWils

And many more.
Do you feel that those companies won a national title or that the team representing the University of Kansas did?
I feel that the University of Kansas basketball team/players won a national title.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

pdub wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:01 pm Game of Basketball? Check

Played by players representing a college? Errrrr.....Technically, we can call it bread still, right?
Not if it's served at subway.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:00 pm I hope the IARP hands out whatever their ruling is prior to the start of practice so that KU has time to digest what the impact will be. This has been beyond absurd.
This sort of column is exactly the point of dragging things out as long as KU/Bill have.

Hey, NCAA, show your cards: If KU broke the rules, it’s time to reveal the punishment

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn- ... 47006.html
Enough is enough. How long does it take to prove the Kansas Jayhawks basketball program cheated, as the NCAA enforcement staff has alleged, or clear the program of wrongdoing?

[...]

After nearly three years of back and forth with the NCAA and an independent resolution panel that will decide the appropriate penalties, the case has yet to be resolved.

Now that college players are allowed to make money from their name, image and likeness, it’s even more important to expedite this drawn out process. KU basketball is being held hostage by an outdated amateur model that was nearly unenforceable until the feds got involved.

[...]

In this space, I’ve been critical of Self’s plausible deniability regarding possible NCAA recruiting violations. But the holding pattern the Jayhawks program has faced is inexcusable.

KU’s case is being handled through the independent accountability resolutions process, which has no option for appeal. All punitive decisions are final. An independent panel will decide what penalties are appropriate.

But the sooner the five-member body gets around to announcing KU’s potential punishment, the better.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:15 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:00 pm I hope the IARP hands out whatever their ruling is prior to the start of practice so that KU has time to digest what the impact will be. This has been beyond absurd.
This sort of column is exactly the point of dragging things out as long as KU/Bill have.

Hey, NCAA, show your cards: If KU broke the rules, it’s time to reveal the punishment

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn- ... 47006.html
Enough is enough. How long does it take to prove the Kansas Jayhawks basketball program cheated, as the NCAA enforcement staff has alleged, or clear the program of wrongdoing?

[...]

After nearly three years of back and forth with the NCAA and an independent resolution panel that will decide the appropriate penalties, the case has yet to be resolved.

Now that college players are allowed to make money from their name, image and likeness, it’s even more important to expedite this drawn out process. KU basketball is being held hostage by an outdated amateur model that was nearly unenforceable until the feds got involved.

[...]

In this space, I’ve been critical of Self’s plausible deniability regarding possible NCAA recruiting violations. But the holding pattern the Jayhawks program has faced is inexcusable.

KU’s case is being handled through the independent accountability resolutions process, which has no option for appeal. All punitive decisions are final. An independent panel will decide what penalties are appropriate.

But the sooner the five-member body gets around to announcing KU’s potential punishment, the better.
I certainly agree that KU has benefited from the NIl changes that have occurred and that the punishment they would have received had the case been completed two years ago would most likely have been much harsher than they will be once this finally comes to an end. But the only further gain I see from this dragging out longer is either a public outcry throughout the game that these cases have simply drug on for too long (which I don't see happening) or Congress forcing the ncaa's hands (unlikely but more likely than the public outcry).

Recruiting seems to be fine for KU. Maybe it results in some Top 20 talent choosing not to risk their 1 year in college at KU and going elsewhere but I have been consistent in my preference for Self and staff to choose guys ranked in the 25-100+ range who will stay more than a year as they seem to have better results with that level of player in their system. So maybe my desire for this to come to an end is that I am just sick of having to discuss it. Who knows.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Paige Bueckers tore her ACL and is lost for at least the season.

She'll probably end up being ok physically, but another example of why NIL is the fair and moral way. She might be the most recognizable college basketball player in the entire world. Of course she should be able to capitalize off of that in the moment. Never know when those moments just end.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“ She might be the most recognizable college basketball player in the entire world.”

Um no.
I’ve never heard of her and I’d consider myself a big cbb fan.
( honestly have never heard of her, though I don’t watch sports center or PTI etc much anymore ).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:18 pm “ She might be the most recognizable college basketball player in the entire world.”

Um no.
I’ve never heard of her and I’d consider myself a big cbb fan.
( honestly have never heard of her, though I don’t watch sports center or PTI etc much anymore ).
You can be (1) someone who knows what's popular and what isn't, or (2) someone who doesn't engage with the mainstream coverage of something, but you can't be both 1 and 2. You don't get to say you know which mayonnaise is good and which mayonnaise is bad, if you hate and do not consume mayonnaise.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I would be willing to bet all the kcrim bucks if you asked 1000 people who considered themselves cbb fans if they had heard of Chet Holmgren v Paige Buckers I’d give the edge to Chet.

I’d also say I have, on average, watched far more cbb than the average person, that includes random cbb.
Deleted User 863

I will watch some random CBB but not much women's CBB.

I don't think she's the most known college basketball player in the world. But she is the most known women's CBB player in the world.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I watch a ton of NCAA basketball and follow many of the journalists who cover the sport on social media and I had only heard of 4 of the 15 women named AP 1st, 2nd or 3rd team All Americans. Bueckers, Caitlin Clark of Iowa, Aliyah Boston from South Carolina and NaLyssa Smith of Baylor.

I have no clue if casual fans of the sport could name any women's college hoops players. Or men's players for that matter.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

To be fair the most recognizable college men’s basketball player in the world currently still active is…Oscar Tsheebwee?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:27 am To be fair the most recognizable college men’s basketball player in the world currently still active is…Oscar Tsheebwee?
Or Drew Timme of Gonzaga. Maybe Armando Bacot of UNC if said casual fan only watched the NCAA tourney.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:45 am I would be willing to bet all the kcrim bucks if you asked 1000 people who considered themselves cbb fans if they had heard of Chet Holmgren v Paige Buckers I’d give the edge to Chet.

I’d also say I have, on average, watched far more cbb than the average person, that includes random cbb.
is this 1,000 people at the mich’s mall?

(do that many people still go to malls?)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?