F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: F the NCAA

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:50 am I will watch some random CBB but not much women's CBB.

I don't think she's the most known college basketball player in the world. But she is the most known women's CBB player in the world.
She has 1 million instagram followers. A now old article revealed she made about $65,000 per post, which is surely closer to $100k now. Is there a current men's player that can come close to that?

Of course, this is all besides my main point which is why I used the qualifier of "might be" to avoid this exact back and forth. She is very, very well known.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Didn't the Gonzalez twins have a shit ton of followers when they were at Kansas? Although I'm pretty sure those followers and the ones following Paige are a different target audience.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

While instagram certainly is a good barometer for popularity, it isn't the end all for brand recognition.
In this case, the difference is exposure and the gap in the number of viewers of men's college BB vs women's.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:45 am Didn't the Gonzalez twins have a shit ton of followers when they were at Kansas? Although I'm pretty sure those followers and the ones following Paige are a different target audience.
Yes, pre-instagram, so twitter, but much, much less there than 1 million. And, of course, pre-NIL.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Jesus Christ, what rock have you been living under if you’ve never heard of Paige Bueckers?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

one in maine?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:41 am one in maine?
And she’s in Connecticut………
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:40 am
NDballer13 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:45 am Didn't the Gonzalez twins have a shit ton of followers when they were at Kansas? Although I'm pretty sure those followers and the ones following Paige are a different target audience.
Yes, pre-instagram, so twitter, but much, much less there than 1 million. And, of course, pre-NIL.
And they both have over a million instagram follows right now. I would have no idea who they were if they didn't spend time at Kansas.

Isn't the highest followed athlete a gymnast from UCLA or something too? I couldn't tell you her name, let alone point her out in a crowd. I feel like followers on social media, when it comes to female athletes, has more to do with how attractive they are compared to how good they are at said sport. So, it's hard for me to argue pdub's point that just because they have a million followers means the average Joe Schmo should know who she is.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Correct.
I think the amount of effort and attention when it comes to social media is minimal. It's just click OK I follow you and now I have more people I follow and maybe I can get more followers because of it. I'm sure some of you have people you are social friends with you barely know or don't know. Or people you follow just bc it was something you clicked on in my the moment.

Actual recognition of the person is different than that - though they can be related.
I don't think Paige is as recognizable as a guy like Bacot.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:40 pmI feel like followers on social media, when it comes to female athletes, has more to do with how attractive they are compared to how good they are at said sport. So, it's hard for me to argue pdub's point that just because they have a million followers means the average Joe Schmo should know who she is.
I'm not sure I ever argued your last point, but understand what you're trying to say.

The thing is, awareness is awareness no matter what reason someone might be recognizable. Certainly Kylie Jenner is more famous than Jessie Buckley even though I'd argue the latter is vastly more talented. Not to mention, the money that Bueckers or other female athletes make is very, very real.

And then to your last point, it's a comparison of Bueckers to other college basketball players. Your average sports fan has little awareness of college basketball players, period. This isn't like comparing Bueckers to Tom Brady.

Bueckers's injury wasn't just on the front page of ESPN.com, it was the main/lead story yesterday on a day when the NFL had huge news with the Watson appeal. I would imagine there aren't more than like 3 returning men's cbb players that would get the same treatment. She's #1 in NIL money because brands know she has a large reach. The proof is in the pudding, as they say.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Your average sports fan has little awareness of college basketball players, period."

Right.
This is why they would likely know a Bacot or Chet over Paige.

"I would imagine there aren't more than like 3 returning men's cbb players that would get the same treatment."

No dude.
On the front page right now is how some guy from Italy just joined UCLA.
I see CBB front page blurbs fairly often.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

On the other hand. The only two headlines on the front page of espn.com right now that are related to basketball of any kind are Buecker's injury and Griner's prison sentence. Right next the biggest headline covering half the home page - How WWE moves forward without Vince McMahon, lol.
Last edited by NDballer13 on Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:46 pm I don't think Paige is as recognizable as a guy like Bacot.
#underbitehater
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:40 pm On the other hand. The only two headlines on the front page of espn.com right now that are related to basketball of any kind are Buecker's injury and Griner's prison sentence. Right next the biggest headline covering half the home page - How WWE moves forward without Vince McMahon, lol.
lol…WWE front and center
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:40 pm On the other hand. The only two headlines on the front page of espn.com right now that are related to basketball of any kind are Buecker's injury and Griner's prison sentence. Right next the biggest headline covering half the home page - How WWE moves forward without Vince McMahon, lol.
Yeah, Bueckers had the WWE spot yesterday. Slower news day today, but a semi-evergreen piece on WWE over Griner is a choice.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

JFC, you guys do realize that ESPN headlines differ for everyone. I just looked on my personal phone, company phone and company laptop. Top story is the same. Headlines all different.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes.
But the Internet Wayback Machine is a neutral source ( meaning it has not/is not clicking on links ) so first party data doesn't necessarily apply here. I'm just pointing out the captures from yesterday didn't have that as a top story nor as a headline.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

who even considers WWE a sport?

it’s a soap opera with athletes as actors
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:39 pm JFC, you guys do realize that ESPN headlines differ for everyone. I just looked on my personal phone, company phone and company laptop. Top story is the same. Headlines all different.
Right. Although, I wondered if the Top Story was ever different for some people as me having Bueckers yesterday would make sense considering I consume so much cbb content. But, I did have WWE for some time today like ND did, and I never read WWE content, so that anecdote does suggest the Top Story is the same for most everyone if not all.