BBQ

You Love It.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: BBQ

Post by jhawks99 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:33 am But yea.

Bbq.

What’s the advantage of parting out your pork? Easier to cook, I guess?

Is there a disadvantage in that it doesn’t get as flavorful or tender as a whole cut low and slow?

Also what should I know about Q39?
From what I am seeing, the presentation is easier, you can get really nice looking slices. It cooks faster. Probably easier. I don't like it.

I haven't eaten at Q 39 since the owner passed away. Really good Q. Not a barbecue joint though, it's a nice restaurant with servers that happens to sell really good barbecue. Brisket is good, the burnt ends with beans app is good.
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Did you know Q39's owner?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Not a barbecue joint though, it's a nice restaurant with servers that happens to sell really good barbecue."

I'd agree with this in using the word joint.
Jack Stack definitely falls even further out of this category for me then.

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:43 am Did you know Q39's owner?
No
Defense. Rebounds.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

pdub wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:58 am "Not a barbecue joint though, it's a nice restaurant with servers that happens to sell really good barbecue."

I'd agree with this in using the word joint.
Jack Stack definitely falls even further out of this category for me then.

Before Chowhound turned into complete crap and then bit the dust, I used to post there a lot. Met some cool people from that site. Someone asked about KC BBQ and I gave a quick rundown of server places. I said that Jack's Stack "Is a nice, sit down restaurant that happens to serve barbecue. It's good barbecue but not the best in town. It's fine for tourists and soccer moms."

Seems one of the posters fit both of those descriptions went full illy.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I mean, a cast iron dish for my BBQ, a little cup for my sauce, all on porcelain?
And then a STRAWBERRY FETA CHEESE CANDY PECAN SALAD?
And no white bread slices?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Had dinner at this place on my way down to Branson.

Burnt end sammich really good. Had several sauces, including 2 different mustard based ones. The spicier of the 2 was really good, unique, but worked well.

Not a salad in sight.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

No way would I go into that place.
I'm anti-MIZZOU ( KC is not Missouri ) and anti-motorcycle ( politics???? ).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:08 am
No
Some really unsavory (no pun intended) leaks about him running his restaurant teams. Hoping those bad stories, if true, have cleaned up now.

Q39 is . . . fine. A BBQ place I pick nearly 100% for the atmosphere with guests in town because I've never been a big Jack Stack fan.

They did perform well on the tour prior to opening the restaurants, but the quality at the restaurant wasn't nearly what it was on the tour--which is true anywhere, I suppose.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:19 am Had dinner at this place on my way down to Branson.

Burnt end sammich really good. Had several sauces, including 2 different mustard based ones. The spicier of the 2 was really good, unique, but worked well.

Not a salad in sight.
There are billboards everywhere for that place on 13 highway. In fact, I think I have been there. It was not memorable, but it's been years.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I mean, I wouldn't all the way drive down there just for the bbq

but on a road trip anyway I'd still take my chances on a place like that over...pretty much anything else.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:29 am
No
Some really unsavory (no pun intended) leaks about him running his restaurant teams. Hoping those bad stories, if true, have cleaned up now.

Q39 is . . . fine. A BBQ place I pick nearly 100% for the atmosphere with guests in town because I've never been a big Jack Stack fan.

They did perform well on the tour prior to opening the restaurants, but the quality at the restaurant wasn't nearly what it was on the tour--which is true anywhere, I suppose.
There's been a few lately. The burger place in KCK, Port Fonda come to mind. Part of the reason I left the biz was terrible owners at one place I worked at. Seems to be pretty common.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

At least it's coated in ranch as it should be for a Midwest salad.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Romaine?

that might still be too uppity for a midwest salad.

heartlanders are obsessed with yall's iceberg.

though I do like how the only fixins are shredded cheese and ranch.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:35 am

No

There's been a few lately. The burger place in KCK, Port Fonda come to mind. Part of the reason I left the biz was terrible owners at one place I worked at. Seems to be pretty common.
For so long it was almost exclusively a customer-facing industry filled with young people of all genders doing booze, drugs, and working late into every night.

From a mental health environment, what could go wrong?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Usually you'll get an unripe tomato slice and four croutons.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

And also maybe like 6 shreds of carrot, not much thicker than that cheese.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:38 am

For so long it was almost exclusively a customer-facing industry filled with young people of all genders doing booze, drugs, and working late into every night.

Guilty
Defense. Rebounds.
digitalkookie

Post by digitalkookie »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:46 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:38 am

Guilty
Likewise. Managing a high volume kitchen in Eugene in the early 2000's was no pleasure cruise...even though it seemed like fun at the time
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

99's sausage grinder comment randomly made me think of this jam

https://youtu.be/bkQTukkqTSE