Facebook, Google, et al

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Facebook, Google, et al

Post by ousdahl »

So Meta’s own chat bot bringing the lulz hard.

Too many heres and theres to post all at once, but some highlights:

- throws Zuck under the bus about business practices, exploiting users, and dividing Merica
- thinks Trump won the 2020 election
- antisemitic bullshit
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

So I am/was a fan of both twitter and instagram. A lot because of the ability to curate the feed to see the information I wanted.

Enter TikTok. TikTok creators discovered, possibly from reddit users, that the human brain is very susceptible to endless scrolling. TikTok is an absolute beast. I have never used it (for this reason), but it seems to be set up in a way where the algorithm just gives you endless content that is popular and/or you might find relevant.

The other social media recently went to the same model because the rule of a corporation is to not die. My twitter feed is now basically just a regurgitation of the r/all on reddit. TikTok might ruin social media for me.

I don't think there has ever been a better medium for curated news content than twitter. But now I doubt it ever comes back. Instagram was also great to keep up with people in your set circle without having to deal with the bathroom wall that is facebook. Now its a weird version of reddit.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

And before trad chimes in, I still believe social media were a good invention and some of the things they provide to the entire world is worth all of the drawbacks. They are mindbogglingly valuable relative to the history of communication.

But the data are just so damn valuable.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:48 pm And before trad chimes in, I still believe social media were a good invention and some of the things they provide to the entire world is worth all of the drawbacks. They are mindbogglingly valuable relative to the history of communication.

lol

the wife was recently introduced to tiktok by a coworker just to watch funny chicken clips

the downward spiral is real
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:21 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:48 pm And before trad chimes in, I still believe social media were a good invention and some of the things they provide to the entire world is worth all of the drawbacks. They are mindbogglingly valuable relative to the history of communication.

lol

the wife was recently introduced to tiktok by a coworker just to watch funny chicken clips

the downward spiral is real
It just seems like a timewaster rather than a communication tool to people you actually know. Maybe closer to reddit.

Influencers' playground.

Although I like that Italian black dude that makes fun of DIY videos. He's all over the place but think he started on TikTok.
shindig

Post by shindig »

I really despise social media for the most part. I hate that I can google something and it immediately shows up in my FB feed. I only have FB and I rarely get on it anymore, although I might have an Instagram account I haven't logged into for years. I have never used twitter or tiktok and don't plan to. To me, it's the dumbing down of Merica and the world...endless scrolling through garbage.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

To me Twitter is the best for breaking news. Maybe it used to be better.

Reddit for in-depth discussions on niche or specific topics. Maybe it’s better for news too.

Never got into Snapchat cuz the girl I was dating when it got popular said she’d send dirty snaps if I got the app but ended up just sending pics of her cats all the time instead.

Never got around to TikTok…yet, at least. But if it’s anything like the Instagram reels (that are just a shameless TikTok ripoff, and that Zuck now mandates for influencers), yeah. It’s much less about news or networking and more about mindless scrolling.

Said it before, but I think a billion dollar idea would be to create a platform that’s just the OG insta (pretty pics among friends) or OG Facebook (poking that chick from your poli sci class)

But FB and Insta both ended up being less their own thing and more just ripoffs of Snapchat, then TikTok.

Now the rep is insta as where thirtysomethings go to see what trends were popular on TikTok a month ago, and FB is where boomers go seeking echo chambers.

The meta brand algorithm is getting increasingly controlling of what content is viewed. Chronological feeds are totally undermined. I don’t know if hashtags are even worth anything any more. Not sure what or how much actually goes viral. Hardly any organic reach any more either. Gotta pay to attract followers, then pay again to get your posts to them. And censorship and privacy concerns only getting worse.

And just the blatant overcommercialization of everything so hard it might as well be the ncaa thread. Insta wants so bad to be a merchant for meme page t shirts. I dunno if any network is really about networking much any more.

And remember, you are not the user, you are the commodity.

At least Craigslist still keeps it real.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I haven't been on facebook in a few years, so I'm not sure what that looks like.

But, I find that reddit is also an echo chamber. I stopped reading the comments, so now it's just a timewaster for me, although I mostly use the search function to solve a problem or answer a question I have.

The incessant eat the rich attitude on reddit is annoying and tiresome. Just feels like a bunch of people living with their parents, thinking of themselves as woke, but will downvote and shout down anyone that has the audacity to ask something as simple as where they should make a tee time or if there are any good apartment complexes that are in a price range anywhere above $200 a month. r/antiwork spread like a disease over reddit. Very unwelcoming place from people that will say they tolerate anyone.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:06 pm this go here?

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/peter- ... to-launch/
They said it out loud:

"We're sorry that you had to endure years of bad dates and wasted time with people that don't see the world our way — the right way," McEnany said.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:52 pm I haven't been on facebook in a few years, so I'm not sure what that looks like.

But, I find that reddit is also an echo chamber. I stopped reading the comments, so now it's just a timewaster for me, although I mostly use the search function to solve a problem or answer a question I have.

The incessant eat the rich attitude on reddit is annoying and tiresome. Just feels like a bunch of people living with their parents, thinking of themselves as woke, but will downvote and shout down anyone that has the audacity to ask something as simple as where they should make a tee time or if there are any good apartment complexes that are in a price range anywhere above $200 a month. r/antiwork spread like a disease over reddit. Very unwelcoming place from people that will say they tolerate anyone.
Yea, I guess any forum can be prone to bias. Maybe it’s a matter of if the topics or subs are prone to controversy or slant. The /Conservatives is a trip, tho I mostly just browse it for the lulz.

For more mundane or innocuous stuff, I find discussions to be not so bad, and some of the better candid takes on the web. “Here’s DIY tips on rewiring your electric guitar” or such.

But yea, any discussion can be prone to sabotage by what sounds like some smartass high schooler or something.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:37 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:06 pm this go here?

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/peter- ... to-launch/
They said it out loud:

"We're sorry that you had to endure years of bad dates and wasted time with people that don't see the world our way — the right way," McEnany said.
The name of the app is "The Right Stuff".

Thankfully it's optional. We don't have to download it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But man, the privacy and censorship stuff is freaky.

I posted a couple things on the pols bored but warrant discussion here too, in the context of social media.

Nebraska cops got access to some teenager chick’s Facebook messages so they could use as evidence to prosecute her for getting an abortion.

And deleting posts and banning stuff like anti-war opinions. Shitty opinions though they may be, they’re still just opinions. Absent some hate speech or violent threats or something, it’s kinda scary to see such a powerful corporation wield such control over narratives, and of silencing opposing views
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

shindig wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:31 pm I really despise social media for the most part. I hate that I can google something and it immediately shows up in my FB feed. I only have FB and I rarely get on it anymore, although I might have an Instagram account I haven't logged into for years. I have never used twitter or tiktok and don't plan to. To me, it's the dumbing down of Merica and the world...endless scrolling through garbage.
When was the last time you did log in?

Would you like to try again?

I ask cuz there’s also been reports of Zuck unilaterally deleting accounts that don’t get used often
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:14 pm But man, the privacy and censorship stuff is freaky.

I posted a couple things on the pols bored but warrant discussion here too, in the context of social media.

Nebraska cops got access to some teenager chick’s Facebook messages so they could use as evidence to prosecute her for getting an abortion.

And deleting posts and banning stuff like anti-war opinions. Shitty opinions though they may be, they’re still just opinions. Absent some hate speech or violent threats or something, it’s kinda scary to see such a powerful corporation wield such control over narratives, and of silencing opposing views
I do not have a problem with Facebook sharing data in a criminal investigation provided that the information is only given with a valid search warrant. We live in a digital age and digital data is the difference between many cases being solved or unsolved and that ultimately leads to a safer world. I don't see it as a loss of privacy as we have private means to discuss anything we want. People need to get used to the fact that anything they type in a digital communications space is simply not "private". And 38 states have single-party consent in recording conversations such as phone calls or zoom meetings so you aren't guaranteed privacy just by calling someone on the phone.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I dunno.

Where should that line be drawn?

Between rejecting governmental Big Brother but being cool with corporate Big Brother.

and how much is required to obtain a warrant? If cops have some reason to think Facebook specifically was instrumental in some specific criminal activity, that's one thing.

But what if cops just hold some general suspicion so they wanna go on a fishing expedition through all the private data Zuck will give them?

and legally speaking, what would be admissible as evidence? If they got a warrant looking for messages about an abortion, but then stumble across some message about drugs or whatever instead, is that fair game?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:49 am I dunno.

Where should that line be drawn?

Between rejecting governmental Big Brother but being cool with corporate Big Brother.

and how much is required to obtain a warrant? If cops have some reason to think Facebook specifically was instrumental in some specific criminal activity, that's one thing.

But what if cops just hold some general suspicion so they wanna go on a fishing expedition through all the private data Zuck will give them?

and legally speaking, what would be admissible as evidence? If they got a warrant looking for messages about an abortion, but then stumble across some message about drugs or whatever instead, is that fair game?
If cops just hold some general suspicion so they wanna go on a fishing expedition through all the private data Zuck will give them then I expect a judge not to sign their warrant. And legally speaking, the process for what evidence you are and are not allowed to find and use is supposed to be clearly defined in the warrant.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

soo...

defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

He has a butt face avatar according to most Twitter critics.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

wait so now the gram has some premium subscription feature?

for which you can pay extra to get "exclusive content" from pages

this is really gonna eat into my onlyfans budget