Conference Realignment..?

Kansas Football.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by KUTradition »

Oregon rumblings…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
shindig

Post by shindig »

Yeah saw that. I wonder if the B1G is still holding out for ND as well....or KU (lol). Maybe it's KU that's playing hardball. ;)
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:06 am I'm not sure why we have just come to accept college football games taking 4 even 5 hours to play.
This is on the list of reasons why I don't sit down to watch college football often. It takes too much of my day to watch one game and the game is rarely very well played. At least the NFL is a mostly higher caliber of play for such a long game with so many breaks in the action.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:15 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:06 am I'm not sure why we have just come to accept college football games taking 4 even 5 hours to play.
This is on the list of reasons why I don't sit down to watch college football often. It takes too much of my day to watch one game and the game is rarely very well played. At least the NFL is a mostly higher caliber of play for such a long game with so many breaks in the action.
NFL seems decently consistent with the 3-3.5 hour time window.

A lot of blame in college is because of the incessant instant replay, the clock stopping to move the chains, and yes, poor play also makes the game drag on with more stopped clocks.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

shindig wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:00 am Yeah saw that. I wonder if the B1G is still holding out for ND as well....or KU (lol). Maybe it's KU that's playing hardball. ;)
i’m not nearly as optimistic about KU to the B1G as i used to be, but wouldn’t mind at all to be surprised

at this point, the B1G getting ND seems more likely than KU getting an invite (aka, not likely gonna happen)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Sports Illustrated reported last week that ND is about to get a big time TV deal ($60m/year) and will remain independent for the foreseeable future.

I think if that number is true, then yeah, they'll stay independent.

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/fo ... ndependent
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

The B1G is going to add more Pac-12 schools. But Oregon is not going to be the target. Their priority is the combo of Stanford and Cal. They would even take Washington before they took Oregon. The buzz around Oregon is that they initiated a conversation with the B1G but the conference wasn't exactly receptive to what they were throwing out there. Oregon's president and AD weren't even involved with the conversation. It's Phil Knight who is trying to prop up Oregon.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I may have posted this before, but I don't see at all what would attract the B1G to Oregon.

But, Phil Knight money . . . Yes, but unless he is buying millions of people to relocate to that tv market, I don't think it's attractive enough from a market or brand standpoint.

Stanford, Cal, Washington, ok, I get that.
UnholyLivingDead

The B1G would rather have Cal and Stanford to pair up with USC/UCLA and then get Florida State and Miami. They want a presence in at least 2 of the 3 biggest states. They're already in California now and they're more likely to be able to get into Florida than they are Texas.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

has the conventional wisdom of even numbers and travel partners been thrown out the window?

(ND, i’d assume, doesn’t count)
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:40 am The B1G would rather have Cal and Stanford to pair up with USC/UCLA and then get Florida State and Miami. They want a presence in at least 2 of the 3 biggest states. They're already in California now and they're more likely to be able to get into Florida than they are Texas.
It was a little surprising to me that UT went with SEC given the rumors that they received a B1G invite many years/decades ago. A better fit for the university profile (except for their oil fields).
UnholyLivingDead

KUTradition wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:42 am has the conventional wisdom of even numbers and travel partners been thrown out the window?

I would say not necessarily. The B1G definitely wants two more west coast teams to take some of the pressure off USC and UCLA's travels. Also, adding two more California teams is going to be preferred by the other teams in the conference so they can play a road game in California pretty much every season to help build a recruiting base/audience.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:51 am
KUTradition wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:42 am has the conventional wisdom of even numbers and travel partners been thrown out the window?

I would say not necessarily. The B1G definitely wants two more west coast teams to take some of the pressure off USC and UCLA's travels. Also, adding two more California teams is going to be preferred by the other teams in the conference so they can play a road game in California pretty much every season to help build a recruiting base/audience.
I think it is a GENIUS move adding USC and UCLA. This is about Football and TV sets. They are adding a Time Zone. The B1G is going to have games starting from 12 noon Eastern till 10:30 PM Eastern. If they take Oregon and Washington they basically added the West Coast of Football.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:44 am
UnholyLivingDead wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:40 am The B1G would rather have Cal and Stanford to pair up with USC/UCLA and then get Florida State and Miami. They want a presence in at least 2 of the 3 biggest states. They're already in California now and they're more likely to be able to get into Florida than they are Texas.
It was a little surprising to me that UT went with SEC given the rumors that they received a B1G invite many years/decades ago. A better fit for the university profile (except for their oil fields).
$6 million/DAY in oil/gas revenues.

Soon to replace Harvard as the largest university endowment in the country -- for just this reason.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

One would think that UT wouldn't need to leave the conference it owned. Doesn't need the money of the SEC. It will get owned there. Pride goeth before the ball.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Sparko wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:38 pm It will get owned there.
Short term, yes.

Long term, maybe not.

Iron sharpens iron.

And it's not like Texas was winning national titles with any regularity in the big 12.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It wasn’t winning anything with regularity in the Big 12 including games vs the laughing stock of the conference.

Iron might sharpen iron but they aren’t iron.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:55 pm It wasn’t winning anything with regularity in the Big 12 including games vs the laughing stock of the conference.

Iron might sharpen iron but they aren’t iron.
Well if they're going to lose then they might rather lose to Alabama than to West Virginia.
Deleted User 863

I don't know how any can say with a straight face that Texas is in a worse spot being in the SEC than they would be in the big12.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’m not sure if getting your ass beat 56-7 to Bama is much better than loosing 38-20 to wvu but hey, Game of Thrones is cool.