Watchmen

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 318

Re: Watchmen

Post by Deleted User 318 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:49 pm I meant the awards shows themselves not directly the nominations for Watchmen, though I still think partly politically driven in this case but I won't waste anyone's time arguing - we won't get anywhere.
I will say, I think you should give it a shot. Your "spoiler" above is not really correct, and the show really is amazing how it interweaves narratives. Also Trent Reznor's score is one of the best I've ever heard. I understand your reluctance based on Alan Moore's distancing himself from DC's licensing of Watchmen related stuff, but it doesn't step on the toes of the original work at all, and helps build that universe (as oppose to the Doomsday Clock run, which is the weakest of material IMO).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I love Reznor's scores.

I watched the first episode and didn't like how they were taking the direction of a novel I put in my top 10 all time.

Maybe had they called it something different and not used any of the characters or stories from the novel, I would have been more willing to keep watching.
Deleted User 318

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:59 pm I love Reznor's scores.

I watched the first episode and didn't like how they were taking the direction of a novel I put in my top 10 all time.

Maybe had they called it something different and not used any of the characters or stories from the novel, I would have been more willing to keep watching.
I put up Watchmen in the highest regard, as shown with my complete comic book collection (bonus, my current KU book collection).

The first 1-3 episodes are not good on their own. When you go back after finishing the series, it's makes a lot more sense. It's 100% one of those shows you actually need to finish for everything to make sense.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And had I really been into the original Westworld for some reason, I may have thought the same about the 'reboot'. But I didn't know anything about it so I kept watching so that everything made sense.

In this case, they changed the themes and characters from Alan Moore's original.
They didn't need to use it at all - just write your own thing.
I've got lots of material to choose from - HBO's Watchmen needed to wow right off the bat ( because of my love for the source material ) and it didn't - so I'll leave it be.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NiceDC wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:21 pm
And if the nominations are liberal, why do they skews so heavily white
liberals can be and often are very racist.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NiceDC wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:02 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:05 am I understand that this is one of those shows/IPs where the danger of touching a nerve is omnipresent, but:

They're really fucking this up.
‘Watchmen’ leads all Emmy nominees with 26

https://apnews.com/f12347dae120f532cc21 ... SocialFlow
“Watchmen” is the leading contender at the Emmy Awards with 26 nominations.

The HBO series stars Regina King and is a dystopian superhero drama dealing with race, police and white supremacy based on a 1980s graphic novel.

The Amazon comedy “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” is the second most-nominated series with 20, followed by Netflix’s “Ozark” with 18.
I'm not a big comic book fan, but Watchmen breaks that trend. I loved the series, and it came out at an amazing time.
I tried to watch it but it just was not very interesting to me.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I hadn't been watching because I'd heard almost universally bad reviews, so the number if nominations is surprising.

And, speaking without having seen it, sorry Fish, I have a hard time believing that with as many amazing shows on as many platforms as there are right now that any one show can stand out as being significantly better than the rest.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 318

twocoach wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:08 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:05 am I understand that this is one of those shows/IPs where the danger of touching a nerve is omnipresent, but:

They're really fucking this up.

“Watchmen” is the leading contender at the Emmy Awards with 26 nominations.

The HBO series stars Regina King and is a dystopian superhero drama dealing with race, police and white supremacy based on a 1980s graphic novel.

The Amazon comedy “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” is the second most-nominated series with 20, followed by Netflix’s “Ozark” with 18.
I'm not a big comic book fan, but Watchmen breaks that trend. I loved the series, and it came out at an amazing time.
I think you need to understand the original comic to understand the series better. A lot of people, I think, are going into the series, expecting a Marvels movie or Batman. It's not a superhero story, but a story in a world where there are superheros (or masked people our world call superheros). I only got into it in around 2009, when the original movie came out. Sacrilegious, I know, I saw the movie before reading the comic. I liked it a lot, but even then, I didn't quite get it. It was something that dwelled in me for years, and I kept watching it every couple of years, and not understanding it fully. It wasn't until a few years ago that I read the comic series, that everything fell into place, and just fell head-over-heels.

That said, I *think* one can enjoy the series not ever engaging in the original story, as there are only about 3 characters, all with fairly minor roles in the series, that overlap, but understanding the entire universe is more important to pick up on the overall tone.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I think you need to understand the original comic to understand the series better."

And here's the rub, like JFish commented earlier in the thread, you aren't going to get people into the show who haven't read the graphic novels because they are/feel a step behind, and you aren't going to get people into the graphic novel into the show ( I read it in 2000-2001 - though I thought the movie adaptation was pretty good ) because they are mucking up the original so much.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NiceDC wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:26 pm
twocoach wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:08 pm

I think you need to understand the original comic to understand the series better. A lot of people, I think, are going into the series, expecting a Marvels movie or Batman. It's not a superhero story, but a story in a world where there are superheros (or masked people our world call superheros). I only got into it in around 2009, when the original movie came out. Sacrilegious, I know, I saw the movie before reading the comic. I liked it a lot, but even then, I didn't quite get it. It was something that dwelled in me for years, and I kept watching it every couple of years, and not understanding it fully. It wasn't until a few years ago that I read the comic series, that everything fell into place, and just fell head-over-heels.

That said, I *think* one can enjoy the series not ever engaging in the original story, as there are only about 3 characters, all with fairly minor roles in the series, that overlap, but understanding the entire universe is more important to pick up on the overall tone.
I didn't have a problem understanding it.

I just didn't find it very interesting.
Deleted User 318

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:33 pm "I think you need to understand the original comic to understand the series better."

And here's the rub, like JFish commented earlier in the thread, you aren't going to get people into the show who haven't read the graphic novels because they are/feel a step behind, and you aren't going to get people into the graphic novel into the show ( I read it in 2000-2001 - though I thought the movie adaptation was pretty good ) because they are mucking up the original so much.
I actually love the movie, especially the super long, 3.5 hour cut. Alan Moore was critical about that movie being made, why does that get a pass when the series doesn't? That's not new, and the story and cinematography is literally ripped panel for panel.

Also, doesn't that give better credence that something that has a high barrier to get into, and less than a million people watch any one episode, got 26 Emmy nods?
Deleted User 318

twocoach wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:36 pm I didn't have a problem understanding it.

I just didn't find it very interesting.
I think I'll reiterate that it's a show that needs to be seen all the way through before proper judgment can be made on it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"That's not new, and the story and cinematography is literally ripped panel for panel."

That's why it was pretty good.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Also, doesn't that give better credence that something that has a high barrier to get into, and less than a million people watch any one episode, got 26 Emmy nods?"

The Wire was pretty much bare with the Emmy accolades.
Halt and Catch Fire was snubbed as well.
Sometimes they just miss.
Deleted User 318

Have you ever seen the wire? I mean, just get a cell phone. Problems solved.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I cant get into any of the superhero comic book stuff. I loved Dark Knight. The rest. Blah.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 318

TDub wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:44 pm I cant get into any of the superhero comic book stuff. I loved Dark Knight. The rest. Blah.
You may enjoy the Watchmen then. It's not superheroy at all. It's basically Batman's world in real life in a gritty 80s reality. There's one guy with actual powers, and it's only because of a freak accident, and it kinda takes how the world would react with him being on the American side. Basically, an allegory of how powerful the US was after WW2 because it was the only country with nukes, but told at the end of the cold war era (it was written in mid-80s, so it's an introspective instead of a retrospective).

You can pick up the original run of 12 comics for like $12 on Amazon. The art is really good and the story is engaging.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

NiceDC wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:01 pm ...And Moore signed a contract with DC...
I miss DC.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

2 episodes in. Unfortunately I'm not really a fan but pretty sure I will watch 7 more because......
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.