Historic Student Loan Relief

Coffee talk.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: Historic Student Loan Relief

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Why are people in student loan debt more worthy/in need of relief than those people in medical debt?

🤔
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

You can file for bankruptcy with medical debt. It takes some time, but you actually get your life back at some point. It seems that recent student loans may have a high enough principal and interest rate that they grow faster than one can pay them down, so they never end (and you can't discharge a student loan in a bankruptcy).
And, maybe somebody will get to medical debt eventually. We have to pay off the rich, the banks, the autocompanies, keep the airlines going, prop up big oil, etc first.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

if you voluntarily put yourself into debt. you should be expected to get yourself out.

if i go buy a car i cannot afford. will the taxpayers bail me out.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Depends on who you are.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

The banker, unless they are predatory, will not lend to you if they do not think you can not repay the car loan. Nor will they lend you money to buy a car that is not worth what you pay for it. And if you do not pay, they can repo the car, sell it, and get a little something.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

then maybe we should repo their degrees.

if you're going to repo my car.

something to think about.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

DrPepper wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:29 pm The banker, unless they are predatory, will not lend to you if they do not think you can not repay the car loan. Nor will they lend you money to buy a car that is not worth what you pay for it. And if you do not pay, they can repo the car, sell it, and get a little something.
It’s sad that so many people can’t comprehend this.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DrPepper wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:29 pm The banker, unless they are predatory, will not lend to you if they do not think you can not repay the car loan. Nor will they lend you money to buy a car that is not worth what you pay for it. And if you do not pay, they can repo the car, sell it, and get a little something.
then what happened in 2008?

I have known many people that got loans on cars they couldn't afford, and it was obvious. The bank would give them 15-20% interest and then assume they would make the money on it until they went to repo it.

In theory your ideas are correct, but that isn't the reality of many situations.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

how many of these student (or other) loans are compounding interest or whatever?

As in, you may end up paying more in interest than the loan was worth in the first place.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I imagine some writing letters to the editor complaining that they have to pay school taxes when they do not have kids. And that their tax money goes to others' mortgage deductions when they rent an apartment. Yea, it is this couple who live in an apartment and their kids are all grown. They're bitching about their taxes going towards levees in Louisiana and public transportation in Tennessee. They also gripe that their granddaughter's teacher sucks, the weather is too hot, the neighborhood is going to shit, and that their medical doctors speak with accents. They can't figure out out higher education is connected to any of this or that we are all in this together. Just me, me, me.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I don't have kids of my own, but I'm totally cool with my tax money going to schools.

The fewer idiots out there, the better.

same with infrastructure, disaster mitigation, etc.
Last edited by ousdahl on Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Well, probably not letters to the editor. They do not believe in paying for journalism. So they just bitch on their $700 phones and succumb to any grifter that will tell them it is not their fault.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

DrPepper wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:59 pm They can't figure out out higher education is connected to any of this or that we are all in this together. Just me, me, me.
as it pertains to student debt payoff. we are not all in this together. only a fairly small %.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

You don't need nurses, teachers, engineers, etc?
Because all of those go to college to get degrees.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

And those people get pregnant (that, from the sounds of it, they are now forced to birth), and they won't be able to afford them either.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

in this round of freebies, should those of us who paid off our student debt all by ourselves get something for free from our government.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

once again, Mich embodies the observation that there are two types of folks in this world:

those who say, "I had to go through this, but others shouldn't have to too"

- and -

those who say, "I had to go through this, so everyone else should have to too"
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:07 pm in this round of freebies, should those of us who paid off our student debt all by ourselves get something for free from our government.
100% fine by me. Call your rep and let them know your idea.

I support it and would not turn down a check for what I paid off.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:39 pm then maybe we should repo their degrees.

if you're going to repo my car.

something to think about.
could we repo the banks?

after all, didn't we bail them out too?