Contributor

Re: CFB 2022

Post by Sparko »

Ames of course. Therefore: O'Brien
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:45 pm Leipold was just on a show with Ryan Leaf. Yes, that Ryan Leaf.

Asked about potential job candidate rumors.

He answers, "We didn't come to Lawrence to move."

Hope that's true.
"Just like anything, I think you have to stay in the moment, be where your feet are at," Leipold said. "You know, my wife, Kelly and I we came to Lawrence, Kansas, not to move at this stage of our career. It's flattering. Like you said, it's early, it's early in the season. But our focus is trying to build the Kansas Jayhawks into a winner and a consistent winner for the long haul."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKWQQsC9OoI&t=2060s
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

pdub wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:14 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:45 pm Leipold was just on a show with Ryan Leaf. Yes, that Ryan Leaf.

Asked about potential job candidate rumors.

He answers, "We didn't come to Lawrence to move."

Hope that's true.
"Just like anything, I think you have to stay in the moment, be where your feet are at," Leipold said. "You know, my wife, Kelly and I we came to Lawrence, Kansas, not to move at this stage of our career. It's flattering. Like you said, it's early, it's early in the season. But our focus is trying to build the Kansas Jayhawks into a winner and a consistent winner for the long haul."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKWQQsC9OoI&t=2060s
Integrity
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Nebraska deserves 100 years of bad luck after what they did to Solich
HenrySwanson

Post by HenrySwanson »

Much as I enjoy the cognitive dissonance of Nebraska fans clamoring to hire a football coach from Kansas, I can't help but cackle at the idea of their reaction to being TURNED DOWN by a football coach from Kansas.

I really hope that comes true, on multiple levels.
HenrySwanson

Post by HenrySwanson »

Overlander wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:51 pm Nebraska deserves 100 years of bad luck after what they did to Solich
This, and so much more.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

And as much as Nebraska fans don't want to admit it, while it is still a better job than Kansas it's barely a top 20 job anymore.

Sure the stadium is big and they sell it out. It's the only university in Nebraska. Great.

They also haven't won a conference title since 1999.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:07 pm Three things I know about Trev Alberts:

1. He MADE Mel Kiper.
2. He is a DICK
3. He is very ambitious and likes making headlines.

#1 and 2 are irrelevant here. #3 suggests he'll end up somewhere other than Leipold.

Fingers crossed.

I'd much rather be having a conversation about which is a better town, Lincoln or Ames.
Have you had a lot of dealings with Trev Alberts? My wife dealt with him frequently when he was the AD in Omaha and had good things to say about him. Curious to hear why you think he is a dick.

I agree with your #3 statement. Leipold isn't a hire that many in town would be very excited about and with the way that butts-in-seats attendance is beginning to lag, they need to generate some excitement about the program with this hire and hire someone who is going to have an immediate impact.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“Bedlam is history,” Gundy told reporters on Tuesday. “We all know that. We’ve known that, because OU chose to follow Texas and the money to the SEC.”

“But what’s going on now is almost a situation with a husband and a wife, or a girlfriend and a boyfriend when you know you’re dead wrong and you try to turn the table and make them think they're wrong, when Oklahoma State has no part in this.”
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

This sounds familiar.
Defense. Rebounds.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:16 am

1. He MADE Mel Kiper.
2. He is a DICK

#1 and 2 are irrelevant here. #3 suggests he'll end up somewhere other than Leipold.

Fingers crossed.

I'd much rather be having a conversation about which is a better town, Lincoln or Ames.
Have you had a lot of dealings with Trev Alberts? My wife dealt with him frequently when he was the AD in Omaha and had good things to say about him. Curious to hear why you think he is a dick.

I agree with your #3 statement. Leipold isn't a hire that many in town would be very excited about and with the way that butts-in-seats attendance is beginning to lag, they need to generate some excitement about the program with this hire and hire someone who is going to have an immediate impact.
To be fair, it's been 30 years. But yeah, I dealt with him plenty.

Bible thumper who was borderline psychologically abusive in forcing his girlfriend (and her sorority sisters) to behave as he, in his righteousness, expected her to behave.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:25 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:16 am

1. He MADE Mel Kiper.
2. He is a DICK

Fingers crossed.

To be fair, it's been 30 years. But yeah, I dealt with him plenty.

Bible thumper who was borderline psychologically abusive in forcing his girlfriend (and her sorority sisters) to behave as he, in his righteousness, expected her to behave.
Chicks dig that.
Defense. Rebounds.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

His face at the beginning looked pissed to be asked again. But man, Joel started going and Lance seemed so relieved that Joel was saying all of that.

It’s a hard job there in Lincoln. His wife shared a bunch of shirts from a Lawrence tshirt company and there was a shirt that said Believe in Lance. Seems like he takes his whole family into account. His son is in high school. Which is an important aspect of kids lives. That’s a thing to watch.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:28 am
His face at the beginning looked pissed to be asked again. But man, Joel started going and Lance seemed so relieved that Joel was saying all of that.

It’s a hard job there in Lincoln. His wife shared a bunch of shirts from a Lawrence tshirt company and there was a shirt that said Believe in Lance. Seems like he takes his whole family into account. His son is in high school. Which is an important aspect of kids lives. That’s a thing to watch.
I hope that he keeps making enough statements publicly like this that leads Nebraska to not even bother to try to offer him the job because they don't want to get publicly turned down by the head coach at Kansas. Yes, lots of coaches have made statements exactly like this only to turn around and leave for more money a few weeks later but Leipold seems to be committed to KU at this point. Fingers crossed he continues to have the level of success required for his name to be continued to be mentioned when big jobs come open.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I'll say this. I think Leipold is on Nebraska's list. I still think he's down the list, but he's on the list. And if he gets offered, and Nebraska doubles his current pay, there's a decent chance he takes it.

But I think it's got a ways until it gets to that point.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Leipold's contract increases with every season he's at KU.
And there's the 5 million dollar buyout this year ( that Nebraska would have no issue paying if that's what they wanted, but still ).
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:05 am I'll say this. I think Leipold is on Nebraska's list. I still think he's down the list, but he's on the list. And if he gets offered, and Nebraska doubles his current pay, there's a decent chance he takes it.

But I think it's got a ways until it gets to that point.
This is pretty much exactly how I feel about it. Urban Meyer appears to be off the table so that bumps everyone up one spot. I think Nebraska wants to see if/when Matt Rhule gets fired from his NFL job. I think they want to talk to Matt Campbell. The DC at Wisconsin and the head coach at Washington are also on their list. That's a crowded group when you throw Leipold in the mix. They'd have to get turned down a couple times before they offered him, I believe.

This question might get me in trouble but sometimes it's fun to speculate. If, and that's a MASSIVE if, everything would break that way and Leipold leaves for Nebraska after 2 years, who does KU go after? I know one of the big appeals of hiring Leipold is how his staff sticks together, but do you see if Andy Kotelnicki is ready? Do you try to bring in Dave Doeren? He's been at NC State for almost 10 years now but he's 8 years younger than Leipold.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Kotelnicki is going to have a P5 job some day, so I’d feel sick if he went to UNL and then to a different P5 school.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:20 am Kotelnicki is going to have a P5 job some day, so I’d feel sick if he went to UNL and then to a different P5 school.
If he did get the job, I would be curious how many of the staff went with Lance and how many stayed on staff with Andy. I am sure Andy has been taking some notes about how Lance has ran things. But it still would be a big change.

I hope that Nebraska gets someone else on their list and Lance gets a few more years in Lawrence to get even more attached and further into the process so he doesn't want to leave when the Wisconsin or some other big offer comes along.

I personally have a gut feeling that he isn't leaving unless fired. But my gut feeling could be wrong.