Government Shut-Down Thread

Ugh.
Deleted User 62

Re: Government Shut-Down Thread

Post by Deleted User 62 »

The Wall is stupid.

It's only real purpose is to stoke one ego.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Nobody I am aware of supports "open borders". The wall proponents are the only ones using that term.
Illegal border crossings have been a diminishing problem since the early days of the Bush administration. The wall will do nothing about the importation of controlled substances.

This entire border crisis originated as a political stunt to rile up the right wing base.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

^^^^^^This.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

those who can’t see that are, in all likelihood, part of the right-wing base
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

kubandalum wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:15 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:36 pm
kubandalum wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:16 pm

Had this quote and Geezer’s combined in my head when I answered about visa overstays. They’re both the same thought: “Racism, racism, racism...”

I consider supporters of illegal immigration to be spitting on those who do it the hard way.
who supports illiegal immigration? do tell...
The vehemence of the opposition alone convinces me of it. Pelosi has actually called the wall “immoral.” What else can that mean? If stopping illegal immigration is “racist,” what else can that mean?

Those now opposed didn’t seem to mind that the government promised border security as long the government reneged on those promises. Now that we might actually get it, look at how vehement the opposition is.

You want a “technological” solution? That’s only a small part of it. The barrier is the most important part. If you put security cameras on your home, does that mean you no longer need to lock your doors?

The amount requested is equivalent to a rounding error in the federal budget. What advantage do the security deniers get by opposing it?
"Security deniers". That's a new one in this context. Too funny. If the barrier was the most important part then the multiple billions of dollars already spent to upgrade the barriers since 2006 would have done what they were claimed to do. I am a "I'll believe it when I see it" kind of person and there really isn't any evidence to support your (and Trump's) claim. We've tried that already, multiple times and it didn't work. Time to modernize.
Deleted User 62

I have to give Trump credit for marching into the hot zone over the holidays.

Imagine the guts it took to stand in the middle of all that mayhem, carnage, death....and still have the fortitude to stand there and point where he wants his bronze busts to be installed.

Bravest...President....ever.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) went to the Senate floor to ask for consent to take up the House-passed bill that would fund every agency and department impacted by the partial shutdown, except the Department of Homeland Security, through Sept. 30.

McConnell, however, objected. It's the fourth time he's blocked the bill to reopen most of government that is currently closed. He's also blocking, as recently as Tuesday, a House-passed bill to fund DHS through Feb. 8.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

When Obama put in 160 miles of wall it was not called "immoral", "stupid", "useless", etc.
Why not?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

because of the perceived “real” motivation behind the two events

right or wrong, the rhetoric from drumpf and his supporters brought this on themselves

criminals, murderers, rapists, shit-hole countries...
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:14 pm because of the perceived “real” motivation behind the two events

right or wrong, the rhetoric from drumpf and his supporters brought this on themselves

criminals, murderers, rapists, shit-hole countries...
You’re forgetting the biggest bigly big rhetoric “Who’s going to pay for the wall?”

Proves you can fool many of the people all of the time
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:21 am I have to give Trump credit for marching into the hot zone over the holidays.

Imagine the guts it took to stand in the middle of all that mayhem, carnage, death....and still have the fortitude to stand there and point where he wants his bronze busts to be installed.

He should have worn a big gaudy bulletproof vest and army helmet if he really wanted to play up the national emergency.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

vmlb wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:09 pm When Obama put in 160 miles of wall it was not called "immoral", "stupid", "useless", etc.
Why not?
This cant be true. I have been told that the Dems want open borders and do not care about border security.

If 160 miles of wall was put up then we cant possibly have a national emergency that only building some wall will fix. You must have your facts wrong. Trump said building walls will stop the flow of drugs and illegal immigrants.
Deleted User 62

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:01 am
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:21 am I have to give Trump credit for marching into the hot zone over the holidays.

He should have worn a big gaudy bulletproof vest and army helmet if he really wanted to play up the national emergency.
You know he was pretending he was Patton anyway.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:02 am
vmlb wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:09 pm When Obama put in 160 miles of wall it was not called "immoral", "stupid", "useless", etc.
Why not?
This cant be true. I have been told that the Dems want open borders and do not care about border security.

If 160 miles of wall was put up then we cant possibly have a national emergency that only building some wall will fix. You must have your facts wrong. Trump said building walls will stop the flow of drugs and illegal immigrants.
Way to dodge that 1!

Impressive.

You're so disengenious sometimes.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:07 am
Why not?

Way to dodge that 1!

Impressive.

I do not feel that the wall today is immoral so I wouldnt have felt it was immoral in 2013.

I am a "prove it" person. The changes made to the wall in 2006 and again in 2013 prove to me that throwing another pile of money at the same solution that didnt solve anything in 2006 or 2013 is stupid and useless.

We tried it, it failed to do what it was claimed it would do. People bitch about how politicians refuse to change their stanves on things given additional experience and data. They are doing what we want them to do; learn and adapt.
Deleted User 75

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:12 pm

Way to dodge that 1!

Impressive.

I do not feel that the wall today is immoral so I wouldnt have felt it was immoral in 2013.

I am a "prove it" person. The changes made to the wall in 2006 and again in 2013 prove to me that throwing another pile of money at the same solution that didnt solve anything in 2006 or 2013 is stupid and useless.

We tried it, it failed to do what it was claimed it would do. People bitch about how politicians refuse to change their stanves on things given additional experience and data. They are doing what we want them to do; learn and adapt.
Wait, what?

I think Plano has provided some figures that show illegal immigration has fallen over that time period.

But who needs facts, right?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:18 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:12 pm

Way to dodge that 1!

Impressive.

Wait, what?

I think Plano has provided some figures that show illegal immigration has fallen over that time period.

But who needs facts, right?
It's the selective application of random facts that is disingenuous.
Deleted User 75

L.O.L.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Illegal entries have been in a downward trend since roughly 9/11.
Walls or barriers had little if anything to do with it.
Deleted User 62

Geezer wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:41 pm Illegal entries have been in a downward trend since roughly 9/11.
Walls or barriers had little if anything to do with it.
Ask the folks who actually live on the border. Very few of them want a wall.