2022-2023 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: 2022-2023 Lineup

Post by ousdahl »

bro like I was just saying, that was so 2021.

Thank the lord that season's over.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Everytime I think the college game is becoming wing dominated a guy like Dok comes along for us.

Or a PG carries his team to a final 4 or NCAA title.

I enjoy our elite wings, but historically some of our best Self teams have had an elite PG and an elite C.

Regardless of what your wives say, size matters.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

hasbeen wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:59 pm Still think there's too much focus on individual positions. We're going to get out and run no matter who pulls down the rebound. In the halfcourt, Juan will bring the ball up and we'll do all sorts of ball screen and reverse the ball to the opposite side stuff like always.

I do wonder about the Yes/Bobby vs KM dynamic. I also wonder if Juan will play big minutes then sit down the stretch like he did a few times in the NCAA tournament. I would assume no because we don't have a Remy this time, but ya never know especially without knowing where Yes/Bobby/KM will be in their development and roles.

Kevin Durant said on JJ Redick's podcast that the league is shifting towards being wing dominated. I wonder if the college game is headed that direction too (Bill didn't really need to go get KM given what we already have at the wing, especially with KJ), but he did. It was also the strength of the team last year. If it IS moving towards wings (or just not small guards or back to the basket bigs), is it intentional or just how the game is sorting in response to how defense is being played?

We aren't big at the 5 but Bill has the potential to trot out a pretty big lineup everywhere else. I'd love to see a version of his post-up offense where Dick, KJ, Jalen, Rice all just turn and shoot over a 6'1" guard they got switched to after running the weave.

I dunno, but I'm gonna enjoy the regular season a lot more than I did last year. The few years after a title are so stress free and fun.
Very much a 2009 feel.

I think reverting to a wing game is more about defense. It's become positionless, so having long quick, athletic guys helps you on both sides of the ball, but switching all 5 spots on D is an absolute luxury.

Bill's still going to be obsessed with having a ballhandler on the floor, and he'll want a big guy on the court most of the time. He's not all the way there yet.

If Dajuan sits at ends of game, I am hoping it's because MJ Rice is already a lethal slasher/scorer that you have to keep in the game at the end.
Deleted User 863

I think MJ and Udeh are being overlooked big time.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:04 pmI enjoy our elite wings, but historically some of our best Self teams have had an elite PG and an elite C.

Elite PG/C combos on the same team? Sherron/Cole, Devon/Udoka, Tournament Remy/Dave?

I'm not seeing this long list.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:22 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:04 pmI enjoy our elite wings, but historically some of our best Self teams have had an elite PG and an elite C.

Elite PG/C combos on the same team? Sherron/Cole, Devon/Udoka, Tournament Remy/Dave?

"some"

I'd rather have an elite C than not have an elite C.

Cole
Withey
Dok
Tournament Dave

I'd take Dok every single year over a versatile wing.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

just looking more broadly at the last few seasons of college ball, who's been the big stars? and/or the guys who get hot and carry their team for a run in March?

was it more centers, guards, or wings?
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

I think it's less a matter of being elite and more a matter of fabulously fulfilling their roles on the team.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:38 pm just looking more broadly at the last few seasons of college ball, who's been the big stars? and/or the guys who get hot and carry their team for a run in March?

Looking at the last 8 MOP's of the tourney they are all listed as guards although I would argue some could double as wings.
Agbaji
Butler
Guy
DiVicenzo
Berry
Arcidiacono
Jones
Napier
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

AlOerter wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:50 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:38 pm just looking more broadly at the last few seasons of college ball, who's been the big stars? and/or the guys who get hot and carry their team for a run in March?

Looking at the last 8 MOP's of the tourney they are all listed as guards although I would argue some could double as wings.
Agbaji
Butler
Guy
DiVicenzo
Berry
Arcidiacono
Jones
Napier
The first one on that list comes with a major asterisk.
Everyone, including the head coach, knew who actually should have won the award.
( Ochai was kinda dreadful, for his standards, on offense in the final )

The best player for UNC this year was a 240 lb center.
Deleted User 863

It has always felt like guards (PGs especially) dominate March Madness.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Next year here are some of the guys I think will be Naismith finalists:

Tshiebwe.
Bacot.
Timme.
Jackson-Davis.
Dickinson.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:36 pm

"some"

Cole
Withey
Dok
Tournament Dave

Be careful out on those limbs there.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:50 pm Next year here are some of the guys I think will be Naismith finalists:

Tshiebwe.
Bacot.
Timme.
Jackson-Davis.
Dickinson.
N-I-Lulz
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:41 pm It has always felt like guards (PGs especially) dominate March Madness.
We tend to remember offense, but yes, guards in March. Have to knock down jumpers to win.

2017 UNC had a huge team that used screen action and post ups, but they (obviously) ran a lot of breaks and were led by Berry and Jackson.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:54 pm

"some"

Cole
Withey
Dok
Tournament Dave

Thick limbs are safest in the off season.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:05 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:54 pm

"some"

Cole
Withey
Dok
Tournament Dave

Thick limbs are safest in the off season.
unless your name is Zion
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:50 pm Yes, just practice, but is that an NBA shot release or what?

https://twitter.com/KUHoops/status/1564 ... DxVtWrISEw
It's football season, but a really good in-depth look at Gradey on the Athletic today:

https://theathletic.com/3642824/2022/10 ... adey-dick/

The shooter was Duncan Robinson, sitting out that season after transferring from Division III Williams College. He was still an unknown to most of the basketball world. Robinson, who went undrafted four years later, has ranked in the top seven in 3s made in each of the last seasons in the NBA. He is now viewed as one of the best shooters in the world.

Last fall, I got that feeling again when I went to watch Sunrise Christian Academy practice for a few days. This time I knew about the shooter — Gradey Dick — but it was my first time watching him play. Dick shot the ball so effortlessly. Perfect form. Elbow in. No wasted motion. Always balanced. Perfect flick at the top. All it took was one day for me to be convinced he’s an elite shooter.

So it’s no surprise when Kansas coach Bill Self is asked about his 6-foot-8 freshman wing, the hyperbole flies right away.

“He’s got a chance to be one of our best shooters ever,” Self says.

Minutes later Self is recounting a 15-minute scrimmage from the day before when Dick made six straight shots.

“He doesn’t have to dip to shoot,” Self says, meaning when Dick catches the ball, he doesn’t lower it before going into his shot. “Release is high. Hard to block. He feels like he’s open at two feet, where other people feel like they’re open at four feet.”

. . .

Dick also got a head start on seeing different looks defenses will throw at him to try to run him off the line. Barnwell says it benefitted him that Sunrise played in a league — the NIBC — for the first time, and that meant their opponents had real scouting reports. The NIBC has teams full of high-major talent, and the coaching is as close to college as you’ll see at the high school level. At Kansas, he may no longer be at the top of every scouting report, but opponents are going to prioritize limiting his clean looks.

“His jump shot is unbelievable, and he’s got to start using that as his advantage,” Barnwell says. “Teams are gonna run him off, like play him no-3s, so he’s gonna have to be able to catch and drive it and make plays off the catch when the advantage is already there on the catch. And the other thing he needs to do, which I think he’ll be able to do, is become a good cutter as well, because he’s gonna get up-the-line coverage on him, because he’s a shooter and he’s got to cut to finish.”

It’s floated to Self that coaching Agbaji last year could help prepare him for coaching Dick. He quickly swats that down but then brings up Mykhailiuk.

“Coaching Svi certainly does,” Self says. “Svi’s a little bit more bouncy, but Gradey’s a little bit longer. From a shooting standpoint, it would be a pretty good competition.”

Mykhailiuk had a real connection with Devonte’ Graham, and those two playing off each other led to some beautiful basketball. One of KU’s favorite late-clock plays in their final year together was a pick-and-pop or ghost screen and pop that set up Mykhailiuk for a 3.

This is a quick-hitter that Self likely will dust off, because Dick is already used to running it.

. . .

It also took Mykhailiuk a few years in college for his confidence to come.

But Dick? “He’ll let it rip no matter what,” Barnwell says.

Barnwell told him last season that he could not pass up shots, basically convincing him that would hurt the team, and it appears that’s carried over in his short time with KU.

“He’s got a toughness about him,” Self says, “that I don’t think he’ll remember his misses, which I love.”

Lots of other stuff and video breakdowns in the subscriber link.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

There are new pictures from the KU Basketball Twitter account. I can't tell if the KJ shot attempt is after a post move or if it's after a drive from the wing. I bet it's the latter.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser