Kansas Football 2022 Season

Kansas Football.
shindig

Re: Kansas Football 2022 Season

Post by shindig »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:39 pm Vernon now saying stadium a complete tear down starting in 2023.

We’ll see.
Bummer, in my opinion. That stadium was built as a Memorial to KU students who died in WW1. Also, oldest stadium west of Mississippi River. A lot of history. Rebuild the guts, widen the concourses and close them in with glass. New stadiums just look cheap.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

shindig wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:46 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:39 pm Vernon now saying stadium a complete tear down starting in 2023.

We’ll see.
Bummer, in my opinion. That stadium was built as a Memorial to KU students who died in WW1. Also, oldest stadium west of Mississippi River. A lot of history. Rebuild the guts, widen the concourses and close them in with glass. New stadiums just look cheap.
i agree with the sentiment, but i’m not so sure the majority of fans or recruits do
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
shindig

Post by shindig »

Yep, history be damned. Might as well tear down Allen Fieldhouse as well and build a new 20k seat arena with all the corporate suites, restaurants and concessions , since everything is about money.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

this argument/discussion has been happening about Dyche Hall (Nat. History Museum) for decades

fortunately, i think that building has more leverage since it’s on the historical register

edit: don’t think there’s ever been a push to tear it down - just replace it with a modern building on West Campus
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:55 am
shindig wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:46 am

We’ll see.
i agree with the sentiment, but i’m not so sure the majority of fans or recruits do
I have long been a defender of Memorial Stadium but I’ve recently converted to the thought of tear down and rebuild. It’s just time, all things pass (except AFH!).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think there are smart enough people involved to build a modern stadium but keep some of the cathedral look.

And that's all we really care about, right shindig? The east side of the stadium is an ugly shithole--even literally.
JayhawkInIowa726

Post by JayhawkInIowa726 »

I grew up in Lawrence and still go to a game at Memorial every year - I've always been fond of it's look and uniqueness compared to many more modern, convenient football monoliths.

I still have a soft spot for it but am coming around to the fact that it may get torn down and it is probably for the best.

I'd be disappointed if they removed that charm, but hopefully if it's a teardown and rebuild there can be a stylistic tribute to the Memorial Stadium design-wise while improving functionality that's quite obviously necessary.
shindig

Post by shindig »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:25 am I think there are smart enough people involved to build a modern stadium but keep some of the cathedral look.

And that's all we really care about, right shindig? The east side of the stadium is an ugly shithole--even literally.
Yeah but that could all be rebuilt and closed in, i.e. similar to Arrowhead. I tend to think, once the University decides to tear down historical structures, instead of refurbishment, it will make it easier to influence other decisions, like the future of the Fieldhouse. The University could make a lot more money with a modern arena that seats 20k+ with corporate suites, and they know that. Just sayin, it will set a precedent going forward.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Kevin Harlan is the absolute GOAT.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
shindig

Post by shindig »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:48 am Here's the announcement:

https://kuathletics.com/11thandmississippi/
Nice!
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

So, takeaways:

- It's going to be a phased upgrade, with infrastructure improvements for 2023 to Anderson.

- HNTB selected in conjunction with Gould Evans. HNTB is obviously top notch with Populous for this stuff: https://www.hntb.com/project-list-sports-architecture/

- No mention if we will play at a satellite site for a season or two.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:55 am Kevin Harlan is the absolute GOAT.
https://twitter.com/KUAthletics/status/ ... VghkzHSbtw
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

Not much details. I was hoping for some pictures of the changes.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Here's what HNTB came up with several years back. I expect a lot of differences from this. Still a good wait until we see renderings.

https://www.hntb.com/projects/universit ... ster-plan/
UnholyLivingDead

Seems like KU is putting this out now to capitalize on the buzz of the 5-0 start and ESPN being in town. Details will likely be scarce still for a little while and I'm sure visuals aren't ready yet. Goff likely just accelerated his timeline to make this public as a way to generate even more momentum.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Is there any parking close to 11th and Mississipi?
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Dear Jayhawk Fan,

Today is a monumental day for the University of Kansas, the greater Lawrence community, our entire athletic program and, certainly, Kansas Football. It is a day for celebration, but also a time to understand the magnitude of what lies ahead for the university and this athletic department.

It is with incredible excitement and an eye toward our bright future that I share our plans to move forward with a profound development project at 11th and Mississippi streets. This project will include a transformation of David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium and a significant renovation and enhancement to Anderson Family Football Complex beginning in early 2023. It will alter the landscape of our student-athlete and fan experience and will benefit the community as a whole. This “gateway” to the north entryway of campus will ultimately host multi-use space to potentially include a mix of conference and entertainment space, retail and other functions that will drive regional economic growth and enhance academic programming.

It has been a remarkable start to the 2022 football season and our program is on an exciting trajectory. It is up to each of us to ensure this continued ascension by bringing this world-class project to fruition. In doing so, we will provide Coach Lance Leipold and his program the facilities needed to continue to compete at the highest level.

This project is truly an institutional priority and will succeed due to its boldness and vision, and thanks to our donors and alumni who will invest in this bright future.

We appreciate your vital support of the University of Kansas and Kansas Athletics. We will release more information on this endeavor in the weeks and months to come. For now, I encourage you to read the news release and watch a short video HERE.

Rock Chalk!

Travis
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:03 am Is there any parking close to 11th and Mississipi?
other than the garage connected to the Union it’s mainly street-side with a few lots directly around the stadium
UnholyLivingDead

Not as exciting as the stadium announcement obviously, but Douglas County DA has dropped the case against Trevor Wilson so his suspension is likely coming to an end sooner than later.

https://twitter.com/JordanGuskey/status ... 6912984064