2022-2023 Lineup

Kansas Basketball.
Cascadia

Re: 2022-2023 Lineup

Post by Cascadia »

hasbeen wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:10 pm Bill says KM is going to start. Who was the one talking like he wasn't a guarantee to play minutes? Such a weird take.
Probably illy’s dumb ass
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It was illy. Truly bizarre. Said we had no idea if McCullar was any better than yesefu or pettiford at a place like KU. As if the previous 3 seasons weren’t enough.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

So it's KM, Harris, Dick, and Wilson as the starters. There was also talk about Dick maybe not playing a ton which didn't seem right considering he's the local star and has a skill the other three likely starters don't have.

I bet at least 3 start at the 5 throughout the year. Who ends up playing the most minutes there?
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I said all summer that KM is a good candidate to lead the team in minutes b/c of his positional versatility. But, there are of course good arguments for Harris and Wilson leading the team in minutes, as well.

I bet that Gradey stuff was motivational. Team needs him badly.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

No, I meant on here. I've been wrong a ton about what Bill does lineup-wise, but Dick's shooting was always going to put him on the floor.

(I think it's the same guy who had thoughts on KM).

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

if Dick doesn't start, then who?

KJ? MJ? Yes? Cuffe? Bobby?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Gotcha. Gradey's gonna play a ton.

I think only thing that could get in the way of that is if Yesufu turned into all-conference over the summer.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

If dick plays defense he plays a lot this year. We need hes shooting. Supposedly he's ridiculously good at it
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:29 am Gotcha. Gradey's gonna play a ton.

I think only thing that could get in the way of that is if Yesufu turned into all-conference over the summer.
I think my boy yesefu is ready to blossom. Hes got an explosive gear that nobody else really has.

McCormack thought too much and didn't "just play" and thats what we saw from yesefu last year. McCormack eventually got past that. Hopefully yes is comfortable enough at KU now
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:28 am if Dick doesn't start, then who?

Mccullar Harris and Wilson are the 3 locks to start. Feels like we might see some changing pieces around them. Depending on whos playing well in practice and plays well with those 3
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

But we need dick to be good
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Outside of Wilson mccullar and harris..
Some combination of yesefu, dick, kj, and clemence. Feels like right now those are our top 7 guys that are in like for the most minutes. Everyone else is battling to get what's left or get into that group

We have very talented young players battling to get into that group. Practices are gonna be tough
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea.

the last two spots become some combo of who has the size and build to play the respective remaining positions, and who's just the best available guy to put out there.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

randylahey wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:32 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:29 am Gotcha. Gradey's gonna play a ton.

I think my boy yesefu is ready to blossom. Hes got an explosive gear that nobody else really has.

McCormack thought too much and didn't "just play" and thats what we saw from yesefu last year. McCormack eventually got past that. Hopefully yes is comfortable enough at KU now
If by blossom you mean the staff giving up on him being a PG over the summer, then we shall see.

Pettiford might be the most underrated piece as far as importance goes. If he doesn’t develop into a reliable backup PG, that’s bad for us. Harris gets worn out and needs a break.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

randylahey wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:35 am

Mccullar Harris and Wilson are the 3 locks to start. Feels like we might see some changing pieces around them. Depending on whos playing well in practice and plays well with those 3
The head coach of the Kansas Jayhawks said last night that Dick is starting.

- lobser
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

hasbeen wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:40 am
randylahey wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:35 am

The head coach of the Kansas Jayhawks said last night that Dick is starting.
With illy gone, randy’s trying to take his place as the king of dumb takes.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:40 am

If by blossom you mean the staff giving up on him being a PG over the summer, then we shall see.

Pettiford might be the most underrated piece as far as importance goes. If he doesn’t develop into a reliable backup PG, that’s bad for us. Harris gets worn out and needs a break.
yea Harris gets worn out and needs a break. Part of that is that he's like 95 pounds soaking wet. And part of it is his own limitations...perhaps?

I wonder what Pettiford can bring that Harris does not. A fresh body is worth something in itself. But ideally, we can roll some lead guy out there that forces the D to adjust, rather than double down on the schemes that might have been working enough to prompt Harris to sit in the first place - namely, the sagging on our non-shooter or whatever.

(Part of what made last year's team so good by March was that our backup PG in Remy just couldn't be guarded the same way defenses guarded Dajuan)

What's the word on how much ballhandling/lead duties are expected of Kevin?

will we have more a defined option 1 and option 2 as far as lead role goes, or could we see more situation/matchup specific roles?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:43 pm

yea Harris gets worn out and needs a break. Part of that is that he's like 95 pounds soaking wet. And part of it is his own limitations...perhaps?

I wonder what Pettiford can bring that Harris does not. A fresh body is worth something in itself. But ideally, we can roll some lead guy out there that forces the D to adjust, rather than double down on the schemes that might have been working enough to prompt Harris to sit in the first place - namely, the sagging on our non-shooter or whatever.

(Part of what made last year's team so good by March was that our backup PG in Remy just couldn't be guarded the same way defenses guarded Dajuan)

will we have more a defined option 1 and option 2 as far as lead role goes, or could we see more situation/matchup specific roles?
McDermott didn't get that memo before the game. Mighta lost to Creighton without those 6 free points
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Mccullar is good at everything. He is elite defensively. Offensively I dont know if he excels at any one skill but is decent at everything. And is a very good passer
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:43 pm

I'm not worried about bringing something different off the bench--our personnel is our personnel. Bobby just needs to be playable enough to rest Dajuan. Anything else is icing.

McCullar can play PG in a pinch, but I think we've see from our own Marcus Garrett and Tech last season that we'd be better off not putting an important extra duty on our do-everything defense guy.