In our heads

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: In our heads

Post by twocoach »

Soklous wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:23 am Coach Self has historically talked about cutting the head off a team. The Huggy Press did that. And we were still in control the entire 2nd half.

But, to the thread topic... We brought back a senior space cadet. No one can make one sense of him. That’s a big part of our identity.
They barely pressed us. We just had 4 possession of 2 bad Garrett shots and 2 bad Vick shots in our last 4 possessions while allowing WVU to have 2 layups.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:25 pm
Soklous wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:23 am Coach Self has historically talked about cutting the head off a team. The Huggy Press did that. And we were still in control the entire 2nd half.

But, to the thread topic... We brought back a senior space cadet. No one can make one sense of him. That’s a big part of our identity.
They barely pressed us. We just had 4 possession of 2 bad Garrett shots and 2 bad Vick shots in our last 4 possessions while allowing WVU to have 2 layups.
But we played the entire game like we were being pressed.

Sped up and sloppy.

I think we let the ghosts of Press Virginia past beat us.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:35 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:25 pm

But we played the entire game like we were being pressed.

Sped up and sloppy.

I think we let the ghosts of Press Virginia past beat us.
Maybe. It's a theory that at the very least makes it easier to believe that this isn't just a recurring problem that we have. Unfortunately the data still makes me worry that it is. But I hope you're right.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

well, it's a recurring problem, but it's far from consistent.

we committed only 4 TOs against Texas and we were reasonably good at taking care of the ball in our other conference wins. It's the games where we really don't take care of the ball that result in losses.

We've averaged like 19 TOs in our losses and something like 12 in our wins. The fact that we normally take care of the ball makes me think it's a fixable problem.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:20 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:35 am Winning on the road takes good ball from tip to buzzer. Not our strong point.

I think you give your freshman PG one bad game against the press, but it didn't seem like anyone else really showed up either. Maybe Garrett. 100% agree it was mental.
But West Virginia didnt actually press us at all. We just failed to take care of the ball.
Pressure, especially Huggins style, does not necessarily mean picking up full court.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

What it always means is assaulting ball handlers worse than the Rams secondary.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:49 pm well, it's a recurring problem, but it's far from consistent.

we committed only 4 TOs against Texas and we were reasonably good at taking care of the ball in our other conference wins. It's the games where we really don't take care of the ball that result in losses.

We've averaged like 19 TOs in our losses and something like 12 in our wins. The fact that we normally take care of the ball makes me think it's a fixable problem.
We will get a good test of it tonight, for sure.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:14 pm What it always means is assaulting ball handlers worse than the Rams secondary.

This is what I meant, but did not want to get in arguments over what people do know better of.
I am, I said.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I didn't feel like they were pressuring on the perimeter that much. At least not by their standards. There's no Jevon Carter in that backcourt.

Their frontline defenders were, imho, better than their backcourt.

DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:49 pm well, it's a recurring problem, but it's far from consistent.

You could see the frustration on Bill's face as he was interviewed at halftime and was told how many turnovers we had. "We were terrible."
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Dotson is the key to success, and disrupting him is the strategy for how other teams have beaten us.

In our 3 losses he's getting 5.7 TOs.
In out wins he's getting 1.7 TOs, only one game with 4 and that was his first college game.

Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

It wasn't in Baylor players' heads in Morgantown.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:35 pm I didn't feel like they were pressuring on the perimeter that much. At least not by their standards. There's no Jevon Carter in that backcourt.

Their frontline defenders were, imho, better than their backcourt.
This is what I thought too. Seemed like length was a bigger factor in the TOs than pressure was.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

This made me think of something funny. Was watching my man Harden. He was just lighting it up. Dude on the other team was going crazy trying to stop him. Harden was just abusing him. Had no idea who it was and then I realized it was Jevon Carter and he had nothing for Harden. Harden just abused him. At first I was like who is the old man trying to guard Harden. I was laughing my ass off.