First look overreactions (pitt st exhibition)

Kansas Basketball.
AlOerter
Contributor

Re: First look overreactions (pitt st exhibition)

Post by AlOerter »

randylahey wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:02 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:50 pm I think Mj Rice could really surprise people. Him being a big piece of the rotation would be ideal.

I'd love a lineup of
DH
Gradey
Rice
JW
Udeh
out there together at times.
What does rice give us that mccullar doesn't? Besides inexperience
Guess we won't know till we see him play.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

McCullar and Wilson can score consistently off the secondary break and can rebound. Grady can score from anywhere. Udeh looked better late. Clemence is a scoring threat and actually drives pretty well. A ton of defenders starting with Pettiford. Harris played better once he stopped overthinking simple finishes. Too many Ben Simmons "Not me" cowardly passes yesterday all around, but will improve. Good foundation to build a winner.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

randylahey wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:02 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:50 pm I think Mj Rice could really surprise people. Him being a big piece of the rotation would be ideal.

I'd love a lineup of
DH
Gradey
Rice
JW
Udeh
out there together at times.
What does rice give us that mccullar doesn't? Besides inexperience
Hopefully some offense and multiple years of contributions to the KU basketball team.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

1 and 5 is going to be weak all year, at least offensively. Can our wings (KJ included) impact the games enough that it doesn't matter?
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

hasbeen wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:36 am 1 and 5 is going to be weak all year, at least offensively. Can our wings (KJ included) impact the games enough that it doesn't matter?
Shooting will be weak with certain lineups. The 5 will be inexperienced. But we actually have some talenteddd bigs down there. Zuby udeh and clemence... a lot of teams would kill to have a "weak frontcourt"with those 3. But really we just need one of them to come on strong. Or hell maybe they can do it by committee. Use all 3 give us high energy minutes. Keep em fresh. Until someone emerges as the best option
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I think dajuan and yesefu can be good enough at the 1. Dajuan is gonna play 30+ minutes. So really we just need to find 5-10 minutes of point guard. We need to unlock "good confident yesefu" for this team to reach its potential. I know there is debate about yesefu being able to play the 1, hes more of a scorer than true point. But if were just talking a 5 minute stretch each half without dajuan, there is no reason yesefu shouldn't be able to handle that. We could put some really explosive offense on the floor around him when dajuan rests
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

And maybe pettiford is the better option to spell Juan. I just don't like the look of it right now. Pettiford feels like a poor man's Juan that doesn't give us anything else Juan doesn't. He can't shoot to save his life
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I'm be curious to what our best offensive lineup could be. Obviously dick Wilson, probably clemence at center, you might still want dajuan out there for his steadying hand or yesefu and mccullar
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

The debate on Yesefu isn't if he can play the 1....its if he can play at this level at all. I havent seen much encouraging in that regard. I know you've been riding the Yes train for 18 months now, and you struggle with opinion changes despite ample evidence to the contrary....but....I dont see it. Id be happy to be wrong.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

I have always felt like Yesufu was Remy insurance. We ended up not needing that policy.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Given that the staff essentially said over the summer that Yesufu would not play the 1 and the fact that he didn't log a single minute at the 1 against a D2 squad suggests he's clearly a 2 and not anything else. Significant hit to his value.

As I said yesterday, I still like his potential, but the window seems to be closing.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:04 am The debate on Yesefu isn't if he can play the 1....its if he can play at this level at all. I havent seen much encouraging in that regard. I know you've been riding the Yes train for 18 months now, and you struggle with opinion changes despite ample evidence to the contrary....but....I dont see it. Id be happy to be wrong.
I think he can play at this level but not good enough to where you definitely want to get him reps over MJ Rice, and obviously not good enough to play over McCullar or Dick.

That's pretty much true with all of our small guards. Yesufu is the most athletic and most talented of him, Pettiford, and Cuffe, but Pettiford has a defined role. Cuffe, right now, looks like a guy that peaked physically and talent-wise in high school. Hopefully not.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

the one thing Yes and Cuffe have going for them is, they're still here.

If Self wanted to use the schollys on someone else, he already had the chance this offseason.

Or, between a natty hangover and a recruiting timeout, maybe Self just went all bird-in-the-hand about the far end of the bench.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cuffe is so young, so there's room for development there.

I don't think the staff could count on Pettiford staying healthy, so Yesufu is needed on this roster. But, as discussed, if Pettiford goes down again, I think we really have to consider playing McCullar instead of Yesufu at the 1.

I think all 3 of Pet, Yes, and Cuffe are being recruited over.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yea, stay healthy Bobby.

But if you wanna keep the bandaid on the face look just cuz, that's cool.

if we end up having to play Yes as a "1," I could see it being less as a true 1, and more as just the "small guard" out there, while Mc initiates more sets.

if you think Pet, Yes, and Cuffe are being recruited over, then do you think Dajuan's being recruited over too? I think you suggested Elmarko will challenge him for minutes next year, right?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm not a big Dajuan guy, so I'd like to see an Elmarko/Rice backcourt, but the overwhelming odds are that it is Dajuan/Elmarko/Rice as the 1-3, unless McCullar comes back which seems unlikely as he's projected 2nd round.
Deleted User 863

How do we know McCullar is even comfortable enough within the offense to know multiple positions? Seems sort of unlikely imo. It usually takes transfers some time to acclimate and learn the system.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I could see Dajuan still starting as Elmarko gets up to speed, but once Elmarko gets up to speed, Self gets increasingly comfortable giving him the keys to the Ferrari.

Does Mc even have any eligibility left? He could go super senior? I guess he could.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:56 am How do we know McCullar is even comfortable enough within the offense to know multiple positions? Seems sort of unlikely imo. It usually takes transfers some time to acclimate and learn the system.
It's not ideal, but we are talking about a scenario that is not ideal: losing the backup PG to injury.

But I certainly trust McCullar at this level as a PG more than Yesufu.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:56 am I could see Dajuan still starting as Elmarko gets up to speed, but once Elmarko gets up to speed, Self gets increasingly comfortable giving him the keys to the Ferrari.

Does Mc even have any eligibility left? He could go super senior? I guess he could.
Elmarko is a combo guard, so comfortable off the ball.

I stopped during last season wondering and/or secretly hoping that Bill would play Dajuan less.