Coach K sucks. And, Duke sucks.

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 863

Re: Coach K sucks. And, Duke sucks.

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I think Scheyer will do relatively well at Duke. Not a fan of K, but he had a transition plan and executed it. Scheyer has been being prepared for this for long time.

Scheyer, at least so far, is far less irritating than coach K was.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Whitehead is going to obviously make them better, but Lively better start living up to the hype quickly. Mitchell, last night, was more what I thought he'd be before the season, hot and cold. He's more athlete than basketball player which is just how he was in HS. Roach is vet, and will show it, but their lack of backcourt depth will likely keep them from doing big things.

The better team and coach won last night. It's a game where Bill would have probably liked to play McCullar 36-38 minutes but couldn't because of foul trouble. If he plays those minutes, I don't think it's out of the question that we would have led throughout and won by double digits. KM is an amazing defender, in fact his D might even be underrated, and just lightyears ahead of Yesufu on that end.
Deleted User 863

KM had plenty of mistakes last night too though. 4 turnovers. I thought he was hurting us at times. His defense is elite though. I am more glad we have him than I expected to be.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

more times than not, november 15 basketball is not pretty.

last night was not pretty. not our game. not the game before. but i love that event. and i hope they never stop it.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:48 am KM had plenty of mistakes last night too though. 4 turnovers. I thought he was hurting us at times. His defense is elite though. I am more glad we have him than I expected to be.
He was by no means perfect on the offensive end. But the thing with this team is we need scorers and we're getting none of that off of the bench. And guys like Pettiford and KJ (as backup wing) just don't seem like that's something they're going to develop.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KM set the tone with the 2 early 3s too...which were the only 3s we hit until Gradeys monster shot to put us up 1 with a minute + left in the game.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:53 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:48 am KM had plenty of mistakes last night too though. 4 turnovers. I thought he was hurting us at times. His defense is elite though. I am more glad we have him than I expected to be.
He was by no means perfect on the offensive end. But the thing with this team is we need scorers and we're getting none of that off of the bench. And guys like Pettiford and KJ (as backup wing) just don't seem like that's something they're going to develop.
Hopefully MJ Rice can be that bench scoring.

KM hit 2 big 3s early on to help get us off to a hot start. That's exactly the kind of timely offensive production we need from him.

I think the thing I was most encouraged by was that we didn't come out looking tight/nervous.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

sooo

Coach Scheyer...
Deleted User 863

Seems like a good fit.

They have a very good staff in place to support him it appears.

And he has the 1 thing that most new coaches don't have, and that's time. They will be patient with him if Duke struggles at times because of who he is. Which is a good thing for him and for Duke.

Picking a coach, to replace a legend, at places like KU UK Duke UNC, is hard in my opinion.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Friend joked he looks like an 80's action villain.
Die Hard : Live Free Or Flop Hard.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i suspect duke and scheyer will be fine.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I just have this image in my mind of Scheyer pouting on the sideline over and over last night. Might see that look a lot.

The best thing Scheyer has going for him is the place practically recruits itself. How often do first-year coaches bring in the number one class with the #1, 2, 4 recruits, plus several other 4-5 star guys?
digitalkookie

Post by digitalkookie »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:47 amHow often do first-year coaches bring in the number one class with the #1, 2, 4 recruits, plus several other 4-5 star guys?
You can bring in all the best talent, however, it doesn't really matter if you can't coach em...see Scott Drew and to a certain extent, Calipari.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, can scheyer sustain that kind of recruiting success?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

duke will cease recruiting itself if/when the on-court product suffers

scheyer has to produce…maybe not immediately, but he can’t have a multi-season downward trend in success. he definitely can’t have numerous first round exits or years completely missing the tourney. i don’t think the powers that be a duke would go for that, nor do i think top recruits would
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:09 am
he definitely can’t have numerous first round exits or years completely missing the tourney.
yea, who does he think he is...Cal?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Duke has not been outstandingly coached for awhile now. Too many freshmen lately, so the offense is really simple and not enough sets. They didn't compete as hard as we did, either.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:11 am
KUTradition wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:09 am
he definitely can’t have numerous first round exits or years completely missing the tourney.
yea, who does he think he is...Cal?
touché

though, i was meaning in a row and should have been clearer

one-off bad seasons are one thing…continuous disappointment and underachieving is something else
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:12 am Duke has not been outstandingly coached for awhile now. Too many freshmen lately, so the offense is really simple and not enough sets. They didn't compete as hard as we did, either.
Something really noticeable. Their D lacks big time from the mid 2000s Duke.

They used to run complicated sets, now it’s a lot of 2 game and pick and roll.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:18 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:12 am Duke has not been outstandingly coached for awhile now. Too many freshmen lately, so the offense is really simple and not enough sets. They didn't compete as hard as we did, either.
Something really noticeable. Their D lacks big time from the mid 2000s Duke.

They used to run complicated sets, now it’s a lot of 2 game and pick and roll.
Considering the outrageous talent they've had, they've really underperformed in their conference and nationally in the last 6-8ish seasons. I think last year was first season in a long time where they actually overperformed their talent (although they were still the Vegas favorite to win the title for much of the tourney).

Scheyer has to make the program his own. Coach K's ghost isn't going to be enough.