The Top 10 Rivalries in College Basketball

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: The Top 10 Rivalries in College Basketball

Post by ousdahl »

is a rivalry really a rivalry if KSU could win literally the next 100 straight and still have the loosing record?
pb65stang

Post by pb65stang »

Why would we not want KSU to be considered a rival? Being considered a top rivalry means more national exposure (national games), right? Just being a rivalry doesn't mean that inherently there needs to be an equal number of victories for each team. I don't see where having KU/KSU considered a Top 10 rivalry is bad for us.

I consider KSU a rivalry, but obviously nothing like Mizzou (when we played them).
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

pb65stang wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:07 am Why would we not want KSU to be considered a rival? Being considered a top rivalry means more national exposure (national games), right? Just being a rivalry doesn't mean that inherently there needs to be an equal number of victories for each team. I don't see where having KU/KSU considered a Top 10 rivalry is bad for us.

I consider KSU a rivalry, but obviously nothing like Mizzou (when we played them).
ESPN has even picked up on the notion that KU is KSU's rival, but not vice versa. How many of the primetime TV games between the two have taken place in Manhattan compared to Lawrence?

If a team had to pick a conference opponent as a primary rival, it would most likely be KSU, but I don't think it would be wrong to say teams like Duke or Kentucky are the primary rival. Especially now that they play on a semi regular basis. Villanova could end up in there, too, depending if this home and home gets renewed.
Deleted User 57

Post by Deleted User 57 »

Well said Domer - I mean Dakota.
Pretty simple kids. Those in the media are in the hype business. KU is an elite program. They feel we need to have a "rival". Mizzou is no longer our rival. Someone has to be. It turns out KSU is next in line.
Shame because any team that plays KU looks at their schedule and we are either the top or one of the top teams they focus on and want to beat. I kind of like that we don't have a conference rival per se. Means we're dominant and everyone else is our bitch.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:19 pm
pb65stang wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:07 am Why would we not want KSU to be considered a rival? Being considered a top rivalry means more national exposure (national games), right? Just being a rivalry doesn't mean that inherently there needs to be an equal number of victories for each team. I don't see where having KU/KSU considered a Top 10 rivalry is bad for us.

ESPN has even picked up on the notion that KU is KSU's rival, but not vice versa. How many of the primetime TV games between the two have taken place in Manhattan compared to Lawrence?
Although, in a somewhat surprising move. The home kstate game this year is on Big Monday. Meanwhile the game @ kstate is on a random Tuesday night.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

this year ksu will be our closest competition ( which may not mean much ) to our title.
the last time the title was shared was with them.
they recently beat Kentucky in the e8.
they mop the floor with us in football.
they are 1.5 hours down the road.

ksu is a rival - albeit not a great one.
historyhawk

Post by historyhawk »

pdub wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:14 pm this year ksu will be our closest competition ( which may not mean much ) to our title.
the last time the title was shared was with them.
they recently beat Kentucky in the e8.
they mop the floor with us in football.
they are 1.5 hours down the road.

ksu is a rival - albeit not a great one.
If you remove the purview of the article, college basketball rivalries, than you are right KU vs. KSU is a good rivalry. I just don't know how you can say this is even a decent basketball rivalry. KSU has 4-5 wins against KU in a decade. ISU, WVU, and OSU all have more wins against KU in that time.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

i'd rather beat ksu than Kentucky, Duke or Villanova any day of the week sans mid March to early April.
If Duke suddenly dropped in our conference, that might change things in time.
I think to have a strong rivalry, you have to have a long history and/or you have to be in the same conference.

I hate Duke.
They aren't our rival.
historyhawk

Post by historyhawk »

Really? I would much rather beat UK, Duke, or Villanova. Beating KSU happens so often it doesn't seem like a big deal. Beating one of the other teams mentioned is usually a big resume win.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

If long history is a deciding factor, than Missouri is the primary rival. Doesn't matter if they don't play anymore. IMO, with conference realignment in recent years, it's tough to use that as a factor in deciding rivals. Seems like a lot are manufactured based on location. UConn, Syracuse, and Georgetown always had good rivalry battles in the Big East. As soon as they all went their separate ways, it seems as though the media just goes "alright, here's your new rival!"

If rivalries can be fluid, KU's main rivals would be Duke, UK, Nova in the last decade. If conference mattered, it could be UWV since they came in. I think no matter which way you look at it, only one group of people think KSU is KU's primary rival. KSU fans.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Beating Duke is great.
It means very little during the season.
I would wager more KU fans who were Kansans would say ksu was a bigger rival than Duke, UK, Nova etc. ( i.e. you starting polling the average joe in Lawrence )
historyhawk

Post by historyhawk »

A win against Duke, UK, or Villanova matters very much in regards to seeding the NCAA Tournament, a win against KSU often doesn't. That matters a lot during the season. In regards to your poll, you could be right I honestly don't know.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i think the average joe in lawrence would say uk
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:58 am i think the average joe in lawrence would say uk
I would put 1000 dollars down on that bet.
Ask 100 Lawrencians simply this question, "who do you consider KU's rivals?"
Deleted User 89

particularly since you made it plural...uk would definitely be in the top 3 of rivals mentioned

statie would be top 3 as well, and probably the slavers
Deleted User 89

but i’m not a betting man...
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But the question is worded to pick the top rivals.
Could be just one.
Could be two.

You'd have ksu on there more than UK in the end.
Deleted User 89

maybe

;)
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Deleted User 89