The Travel Thread

Coffee talk.
NewtonHawk11

Re: The Travel Thread

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Wife and I thinking of a trip without any kids around August of next year. Debating between overseas or visiting states we've never visited, which is quite a few.

Some states we're thinking of visiting that we've never been to or visited beyond a layover - Montana, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Illinois (Chicago).

Some foreign countries we're thinking of visiting - Spain, France, Italy, Croatia, England, Scotland, Ireland

Budget isn't crazy high, but enough for about a week-long trip.

Thoughts?
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Lot of options. Consider the weather in August. Horrible heat can be miserable but it also might provide some travel deals.

In general, I think if someone has the time and means to go overseas, they should take it while they have it. You could probably knock 2 European countries out in a week-ish. Check out the Europe travel situation, though, LHR and others were a nightmare this past summer.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

I'd recommend skipping Chicago (especially if you're wanting to do an entire week) until a lot more of those on your list are crossed off. And I am someone who really likes Chicago.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I love Chicago, especially without kids, and would spend a week there.

But, it's also a premier destination for kids. So, maybe take the kids. Then go back without them. Easy place to get to at any time.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I will always suggest Montana
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

TDub wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:50 am I will always suggest Montana
Quinn’s Hot Spring Resort
https://www.quinnshotsprings.com/?gclid ... chEALw_wcB

Wife loved it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

With these questions always comes a few more questions - what kinda vacation are you after?

Rest/relax/eat/drink?
Culture/learn?
Explore/hike/eco stuff?

I wouldn't do New York ( if you're talking NYC ) in August.
If you hadn't been to England/Scotland before, i'd usually say the weather will be more comfortable there in August but they just had ( and have been having ) that heat wave.

My vote would probably be Scotland, a couple days in Edinburgh and then rent a car to drive up to the Highlands. There are mid cost hostels in Europe where you can get your own room but share a communal bathroom that would save $$.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

My daughter and her hubby went to Croatia a couple of years ago and loved it. My choice would be Spain just for the food. Lotta good choices there.

I'll add to your list, Charleston, SC. But not in August.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Charleston is good for a long weekend. An entire week might be too much. When I lived in Myrtle Beach we'd go down to Charleston every once in a while for a weekend to party/golf. They have a cool downtown area with good food and some cool bars.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Overlander wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:34 am
TDub wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:50 am I will always suggest Montana
Quinn’s Hot Spring Resort
https://www.quinnshotsprings.com/?gclid ... chEALw_wcB

Wife loved it.
looks nice to me. Havent been there, did stay a night at the hot springs in Lolo Montana. Not as fancy but I liked it. Theres also a cool little restaurant/bar/cabin rental place nearby Lolo called The Jack Saloon aka Lumberjack Saloon. Its awesome.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’ve always wanted to visit Lolo…it features somewhat prominently in A River Runs Through It
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Montana in August is hard to beat...western Montana, at least. (the majority of eastern/central Montana is pretty much just more of the Dakotas)

Yellowstone, Bozeman, Missoula, Glacier. Plenty of other cool stuff off the beaten path if you start looking.

The only downside to Montana in August is, the secret's out. Legit start booking now, lest you miss out on accommodations as the season gets closer and yall tourists bum rush the place.

If you don't want to have to e.g. deal with traffic jams in the parks, and wait all day in a big long line just to see Old Faithful, and stuff like that, maybe pick another time to visit, or consider elsewhere in August.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Travel is crazy busy right now. Then a record Black Friday. Just a lot of pent-up consumer spending. Could be an historic travel summer--I'm not sure where anyone will be able to find a deal. A week in August anywhere is going to be fun but pricy and busy.

Heading overseas in March. Airline tickets are 50-60% higher than pre-pandemic prices.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:02 pm i’ve always wanted to visit Lolo…it features somewhat prominently in A River Runs Through It
it's fucking awesome....pretty much that whole area is fantastic.

The drive from Lolo to the Snake River through the Clear Water River area is phenomenal. Theres another lodge up there on the Clearwater in Idaho called the Lochtse Lodge or something. Also really cool.

That whole area and then the area to the south of that into the Frank Church/River of No Return Wilderness is just pretty much unmatched in natural beauty as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't been to Alaska though.....I could be convinced that Alaska is better. But man, its like heaven on earth over there. If there's a heaven when I die and heaven is our picture of paradise.....apparently I'm gonna be dropped off right there.
Just Ledoux it
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Spain and Italy are likely closed in August.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I vote for Scotland. And, like Alaska, the days will be super long, so that will be fantastic for vacationing.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

do I have to vote?

Since you mentioned it, I'll say Michigan.

Boat rides, malls, beautiful clean clear beautiful water, what more could you want.
3rdGenJayhawk

Post by 3rdGenJayhawk »

I have been to all of the places on your list, except Croatia. Hands down Scotland and Ireland would be my choice!!! I literally threw up in Ireland after a two hour drive on the west coast. Most beautiful place I have ever seen in person. My brain was in sensory and sensual overload. I was in Ireland though for about 10 weeks (as a grad assistant), but just a long weekend in Scotland and London. Both (Ireland/Scotland) are on my MUST RETURN TO list. Especially after now, much later in life having discovered a certain shall we say affinity for GOOD Scotch whiskey!! August would also be perfect weather for either places that time of year. If you could add a few days to 10-12, then a long weekend in London would be fun to tack on too!
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

"It was so awesome that I puked" is a new one for me.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the mrs had a blast in Ireland when she was there a few years ago
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?