Second languages

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Second languages

Post by ousdahl »

I think we’ve talked about this before but let’s talk about it again.

Any advice for learning a 2nd?

Any recs for a particular tutorial - Babble or Rosetta Stone or something?
Deleted User 863

Re: Second languages

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:44 am I think we’ve talked about this before but let’s talk about it again.
That should be your sig line.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:44 am I think we’ve talked about this before but let’s talk about it again.

Any advice for learning a 2nd?

Any recs for a particular tutorial - Babble or Rosetta Stone or something?
i’ve got a buddy that used Rosetta Stone to learn Tagalog (Philippines). i’ve heard good things about babble. i took an actual course to learn. regardless, the key is continually using it (the new language). i’ve heard numerous people say something similar - use it or loose it

there was a point in time when i learned both spanish and french (could actually speak spanish fairly fluently). i stopped using both and now i can barely pull the meaning out of someone else’s words, much less speak the language myself (outside a handful of phrases)

that said, when i was in Cameroon i was shocked at how much french i understood

i’d imagine the romance/latin-based languages are easier to learn and “harder” to forget than some others
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Living where we are, knowing Spanish is extremely helpful. My daughters both learned in high school. My wife is currently learning using Duolingo. She seems happy so far
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Move and immerse.

Other than that, what program really depends on the language. Rosetta Stone is (likely) just fine for Spanish and garbage for many others.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

randy and mich would like pointers on improving the use of their primary language
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:59 am randy and mich would like pointers on improving the use of their primary language
What a way to start a Thursday.

Miserable.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

English isn’t a language. It’s three half-languages in a trench-coat trying to act like a regular language.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:59 am randy and mich would like pointers on improving the use of their primary language
I’m reminded of a very old joke that is still relevant today.

Q: What do you call someone who speaks two languages?
A: Bilingual
Q: What do you call someone who speaks three languages?
A: Trilingual
Q: What do you call someone who speaks only one language?
A: American.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

zsn wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:35 pm
I’m reminded of a very old joke that is still relevant today.

Q: What do you call someone who speaks two languages?
A: Bilingual
Q: What do you call someone who speaks three languages?
A: Trilingual
Q: What do you call someone who speaks only one language?
A: American.
a lot of truth to that

i may have mentioned before, but i was shocked at the diversity of languages most native Africans i’ve met know

my good friend from Cameroon speaks English, French, German, his traditional “tribal” language…and then an odd mash-up called Pidgin