Jayhawks in the NBA

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Re: Jayhawks in the NBA

Post by randylahey »

thisiskoz wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:15 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:56 am Braun got his first NBA start last night.
Games played last night....

Braun - 29 min, 13 pts. 3 reb, 1 ast, 1 stl, 1 bak
Och - 3 min, 3 pts
Dok - 7 min, 2 pts, 3 reb
Wiggs - DNP Groin
Missed Svi with 5 points in 6 minutes in a Knicks blowout of the Curry and Wiggins less Warriors last night.

Also wondering if it's acceptable to talk about Quentin Grimes in this thread?
I'm more sympathetic of transfers when it's a situation where the guy wasn't quite talented enough or didn't get opportunity to play, and chose playing time elsewhere over wasting away their whole college career buried on the kansas bench. I get that. You only get one college career, it's reasonable to want to play

Grimes was talented enough (5 star guy now in the nba) and he played a lot as a freshman

He transferred because he was a little baby back brat who didn't get his way and the world didn't revolve around him at kansas
thisiskoz

Post by thisiskoz »

randylahey wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:25 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:56 am Braun got his first NBA start last night.

Och - 3 min, 3 pts
Wiggs - DNP Groin
Missed Svi with 5 points in 6 minutes in a Knicks blowout of the Curry and Wiggins less Warriors last night.

I'm more sympathetic of transfers when it's a situation where the guy wasn't quite talented enough or didn't get opportunity to play, and chose playing time elsewhere over wasting away their whole college career buried on the kansas bench. I get that. You only get one college career, it's reasonable to want to play

Grimes was talented enough (5 star guy now in the nba) and he played a lot as a freshman

He transferred because he was a little baby back brat who didn't get his way and the world didn't revolve around him at kansas
That's fair. I remember that talk at the time, but wasn't it more HCBS who ultimately made the decision for him not to return? Essentially just giving his spot away? And I mean he technically played more games for Kansas than Embiid...

As a KU/Knicks fan it's just been an interesting start to the year with Grimes playing a large role in the Knicks recent turnaround with his defense and 3 point shooting, both of which were knocks on him his freshman year IIRC. So I was just curious to refresh my memory on his KU tenure reading some old threads and figured I'd mention him here to see if anyone has current opinions and/or thoughts on his evolution from freshman at KU to now. Was it just a matter of being humbled? Or did he have a significant growth in skill?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Rare do I agree with randy but this.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

thisiskoz wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:53 am

That's fair. I remember that talk at the time, but wasn't it more HCBS who ultimately made the decision for him not to return? Essentially just giving his spot away? And I mean he technically played more games for Kansas than Embiid...

As a KU/Knicks fan it's just been an interesting start to the year with Grimes playing a large role in the Knicks recent turnaround with his defense and 3 point shooting, both of which were knocks on him his freshman year IIRC. So I was just curious to refresh my memory on his KU tenure reading some old threads and figured I'd mention him here to see if anyone has current opinions and/or thoughts on his evolution from freshman at KU to now. Was it just a matter of being humbled? Or did he have a significant growth in skill?
He always had skill, it was all upstairs for him here and he needed to mature. His camp was adamant that he play PG and be the featured guard in the system. He wasn't nearly ready for that and was not OAD talent. Lawson and Vick were just simply better/more mature that year and Dotson even outplayed Grimes at times.

But mostly, again, all upstairs. He wasn't aggressive and he got too used to feasting on smaller players in HS in Texas. Made Wiggins look like a tenacious monster. I do think there's something with Sampson's system being better for his game, but for that year at least, nothing Self could tweak system-wise was going to change how Charmin soft he was. Then he got pouty and bounced.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Grimes is a good player. Sometimes the pieces just don't fit.

I NEVER remember him being a disruption or distraction for KU during the season. It just didn't work out for him here.

He's starting in the NBA occasionally and playing some PG, so there's that.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

until i am reminded. i forget the guy was ever a JAYHAWK.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:22 am

He always had skill, it was all upstairs for him here and he needed to mature. His camp was adamant that he play PG and be the featured guard in the system. He wasn't nearly ready for that and was not OAD talent. Lawson and Vick were just simply better/more mature that year and Dotson even outplayed Grimes at times.

But mostly, again, all upstairs. He wasn't aggressive and he got too used to feasting on smaller players in HS in Texas. Made Wiggins look like a tenacious monster. I do think there's something with Sampson's system being better for his game, but for that year at least, nothing Self could tweak system-wise was going to change how Charmin soft he was. Then he got pouty and bounced.
Also came in very out of shape, or he’s just a below-average athlete (by high-major, NBA prospect standards).
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I think Grimes expected immediate results and it doesn't always work like that. He had a good freshman year. He expected a great one

I think had he been patient at kansas his development would've been similar. He put in the work and got results.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Grimes leaving Kansas worked out well for both parties tho. Grimes had a good couple seasons with Houston, KU was ridiculously good the first year he left. Covid ruined that sophomore season anyways
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:24 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:22 am

Also came in very out of shape, or he’s just a below-average athlete (by high-major, NBA prospect standards).
Mando Bacot said Self was hard as hell on Grimes when Self was coaching Team USA. It was disappointing how not ready he was, especially considering he had the valuable Self preview.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Och - 3 min, 3 pts
Wiggs - DNP Groin

Nice catch regarding Svi on the dropped ball by me!

Yes, to me acceptable to talk about Grimes but I can't/shouldn't speak for others.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:26 pm I think Grimes expected immediate results and it doesn't always work like that. He had a good freshman year. He expected a great one

I think had he been patient at kansas his development would've been similar. He put in the work and got results.
I also think, like Selby, him hitting a bunch of threes in that first game sort of set a bad tone.
Deleted User 863

randylahey wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:28 pm Grimes leaving Kansas worked out well for both parties tho. Grimes had a good couple seasons with Houston, KU was ridiculously good the first year he left. Covid ruined that sophomore season anyways
It worked out better than well for Grimes. After year 1 at KU I'd have said no chance he's in the NBA doing as well as he's doing.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:27 pm
randylahey wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:28 pm Grimes leaving Kansas worked out well for both parties tho. Grimes had a good couple seasons with Houston, KU was ridiculously good the first year he left. Covid ruined that sophomore season anyways
It worked out better than well for Grimes. After year 1 at KU I'd have said no chance he's in the NBA doing as well as he's doing.
Even after his last year at Houston, I wasnt convinced he would do anything in the NBA. LOL

Theres only so many spots in the league and probably thousands of players right on the cusp of being able to play at the NBA level (as a bench or role player) and a lot of it comes down to falling into the right situation and being given a chance
Deleted User 863

randylahey wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:32 pm
Even after his last year at Houston, I wasnt convinced he would do anything in the NBA. LOL

Theres only so many spots in the league and probably thousands of players right on the cusp of being able to play at the NBA level (as a bench or role player) and a lot of it comes down to falling into the right situation and being given a chance
For sure.

He's looked legit good in a lot of his minutes with the Knicks the last 2 years.
thisiskoz

Post by thisiskoz »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:36 pm
randylahey wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:32 pm

For sure.

He's looked legit good in a lot of his minutes with the Knicks the last 2 years.
He has. I was not particularly thrilled when the Knicks selected him. Like you guys I wasn't sold on what I saw from him in Houston's tourney run, mostly because of how things ended at Kansas. But he's been a huge difference maker as a glue guy, balancing out the Knicks starting line up with excellent defense and after a bit of a slow start, a solid three ball, while also flashing a little creation ability here and there too.

Unfortunately, an ankle tweak from a reckless closeout last night looks like it'll keep him out tonight against the raptors; he's currently listed as doubtful. But based on how the rotation has been the last couple weeks, it may be an opportunity for Svi to get some more minutes tonight, we'll see.

And thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Deleted User 863

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

DWade doesn't know how to pronounce his first or last name but a nice shout out none the less.
I have shared in the past there is a good story about how Kirk got the nickname Tus. The story was that Roy purposely called him Kurt during a practice. Kirk wasn't happy. Said loud enough for everyone to hear - It's KirK. Not Kur-T-us. Players started calling him Tus after that. Kirk told a different story to a Chicago reporter when he was on the Bools so I have to assume the story about Roy may not be true. This is Kirk's version - "I had an assistant coach from college who's from Oklahoma (Joe Holladay) who couldn't say Kirk ... he said it that way (Kurt), too. It's just his accent, he couldn't say it. So, I got used to it".

Games last night.....

Joe Embid - 34 min, 22 pts, 10 reb, 6 ast, 4 blk
Handrew Whitands - DNP Groin
Markeith Moreus - 13 min, 9 pts, 1 reb, 2 ast
SVU Mycaluck DNP CD
Kellee Ooobreee 29 min, 13 pts, 2 reb, 2 ast, 3 stl
Martus Moreus - 31 min, 16 pts, 7 reb, 4 ast, 1 stl
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

The numbers 3 and 1 were prevalent.

Devo - 9 min, 6 pts, 1 ast
DDot - 3 min, 1 ast, 1 stl
Dok - 3 min, 1 reb
Och - 3 min, 1 reb
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Svi - DNP CD
MCMo - 30 min, 11 pts, 4 reb, 2 ast, 2 blk
Embiid - 38 min, 44 pts, 8 reb, 2 ast
MKMo - DNP CD
Graham - 18 min, 9 pts, 2 reb, 5 ast, 1 stl
Braun - DNP CD
Dotson - DNP CD
Oubre Jr. - 31 min, 19 pts, 5 reb, 1 ast