Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: 2022-23 CBB Season

Post by ousdahl »

down 33-18 at half…sorry Beav
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I was thinking about it and pretty sure this is only the 4th college hoops venue at which I’ve ever attended a game.

First ever I’ve attended a game without being/having been a student.

Pretty good atmosphere I guess. About half full. Crowd surprisingly engaged, especially cuz Beav and I, in a combined damn near 2 decades in CO, have never met a single person who describes themself as a fan of Colorado basketball.

The other three are:

- The Mac - awesome rickety old 3 story wooden gym

- Phil Knight arena: was there for the opening game…super high tech fancy and brand new, but otherwise sterile feel and meh crowd

- AFH: walking distance from Ousdahl Road
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And before you guys try to doxx me in the crowd, be aware I’ve met at least one other dood wearing a KU hat here
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:30 pm I was thinking about it and pretty sure this is only the 4th college hoops venue at which I’ve ever attended a game.

First ever I’ve attended a game without being/having been a student.

Pretty good atmosphere I guess. About half full. Crowd surprisingly engaged, especially cuz Beav and I, in a combined damn near 2 decades in CO, have never met a single person who describes themself as a fan of Colorado basketball.

The other three are:

- The Mac - awesome rickety old 3 story wooden gym

- Phil Knight arena: was there for the opening game…super high tech fancy and brand new, but otherwise sterile feel and meh crowd

- AFH: walking distance from Ousdahl Road
I went to grad school at CU. Half attendance there is really good, esp when peeps coulda been hittin the slopes.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I worked with two CU alums (one went there for grad school, Davidson undergrad). He was very complimentary about the environment. But this was when they were still in Big 12
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Rhe environment was mostly old folks and families with little kids. About half the actual CU students there was the band.

But man, am I glad I went to a good hoops school. Just drove 5 hours round trip to watch 2 hours of shitty basketball.

Give Beav credit…not many fans are big enough fans to put that much effort into going to see their team (very predictably) loose by 20.
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

i tried to get tix to the game in Boulder in Jan. 2003 when Cu won for the first time in years, but that was sold out. the only sellout i can remember while i was there. i went to the game in 05 but it was a blowout so the stands were empty by halftime. overall, i probably went to 20 games, and i'd guess the 40 student-diehards "rushed" the floor at least 75% of the times the team won, always led by the same shirtless guy. 'twas pretty silly.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It woulda been/would be fun to see a full house there, and with more than 2 KU fans.

(Remember when we tried to go last winter but got the covid cancel? Seems like forever ago.)

But also, going to that venue made me appreciate how good we got it at AFH. Gotta get there for a game soon, and blow his furry little amphibious rodent mind.
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

Tried to go to the game last year...super disappointed. Went to the 2009 CU/KU football game, uggh....
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Oh another thing I forgot that my CU alum colleague told me. The only time they sold out was for a KU game and a majority of those in attendance were KU fans. He had nothing but good things to say about the behavior of the Colorado Jayhawks.

I can share that opinion because I’ve been to a few Stanford games at Maples and the only time that was a sellout was when they played KU.

Same at Haas in Berkeley, although I’ve only seen one game there - Cal-KU. The majority contributing to the sellout were KU fans. Sat next to a guy (about my age, and at KU at the same time) from Sacramento and his son. I was there with my daughter.

Our fans were very well behaved and never in-your-face……unless you think that the Rock Chalk Chant near the end to be that.
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

zsn wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:53 pm Oh another thing I forgot that my CU alum colleague told me. The only time they sold out was for a KU game and a majority of those in attendance were KU fans. He had nothing but good things to say about the behavior of the Colorado Jayhawks.

I can share that opinion because I’ve been to a few Stanford games at Maples and the only time that was a sellout was when they played KU.

Same at Haas in Berkeley, although I’ve only seen one game there - Cal-KU. The majority contributing to the sellout were KU fans. Sat next to a guy (about my age, and at KU at the same time) from Sacramento and his son. I was there with my daughter.

Our fans were very well behaved and never in-your-face……unless you think that the Rock Chalk Chant near the end to be that.
totally. the '03 sellout? at least 90% KU fans. and navigating campus was impossible for a good 6 hours.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

We’ve talked about how the Boulder game was closer and easier to attend for KU fans in western KS.

And also how CU sells/sold the KU game in like a “noncon 4-pack” so they can charge like 4x as much even tho most fans are just trying for KU tickets.

Imagine if you were some nobody directional school and having to pay out the ass cuz your game against CU was right after Kansas
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:22 am We’ve talked about how the Boulder game was closer and easier to attend for KU fans in western KS.

And also how CU sells/sold the KU game in like a “noncon 4-pack” so they can charge like 4x as much even tho most fans are just trying for KU tickets.

Imagine if you were some nobody directional school and having to pay out the ass cuz your game against CU was right after Kansas
Why would they have to pay out the ass? If Kansas fans bought them up then in theory they should be cheap on the secondary market since KU fans would be looking to sell them.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, I think the reason at least CU sold the KU game as a 4-game promo pack is cuz at least the primary sale then would be $200, which they could justify for 4 games, rather than just $60 bucks or otherwise gouging the price for just KU. Or something.

But yea, could prob still get cheap secondary market tickets for the other games against nobody directional schools, if you’re like a Northern South Dakota or Eastern West Virginia fan or whatever.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Stanford and Cal do that also. They have 4-packs consisting of UCLA, Arizona, and depending on the year two marquee non conference teams (KU fits here). These are usually about 3-4x other games such as Washington State or Santa Clara. They also increase the monetization by threatening to sell individual game tickets only for the tickets leftover after the initial sales of the 4-pack. Used to be (I have no reason to check recently) individual game tickets normally would be $20-25. Special games would be $50-70 and 4-packs would be $200-250, slightly less than the sum of the individual game tickets. At least they don’t try to markup games against crap teams.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:15 pm Scary game coming up in a week.

roiboi-7
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Apparently Bacot just left the game injured against 13 Virginia
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Holy shit, ISU...
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:51 pm Holy shit, ISU...
Called it a couple weeks ago that I really like what ISU was doing. They’re damn good.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG