Kansas vs Kansas State (Official Game Thread)

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Kansas vs Kansas State (Official Game Thread)

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

The thing that helps his cause is that the Big 12, I think, tries to find a true forward to get on the team. Last 2 had Culver from West Va and Williams from Tech.

But he's hovering around 2nd or 3rd team. Cisse, Boone, Obanor is some of his competition to be there.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:32 pm yea, I was gonna say prob at least 3rd, maybe even 2nd team
Definitely 3rd, possibly 2nd. But as the third scorer on the team, I don't think he will have enough chance to earn 1st team.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

would you put KJ on an all-conference team at this point over Gradey?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If we finish 1st, we could very well get 2 dudes on there, but prob not 3.
Dick would be that 2nd guy.

I think we go JWill 1st, Dick 2nd and KJ and ( gasp! ) Dejuan Harris 3rd.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

JWill's at 20 and 9..that's conference POY/AA type stuff, esp on a top 5 contender.

Gradey at 15 and 5 boreds, plus gets the benefit of a more high-profile game (dude can shoot!)

KJ 11 and 4 for the season, but playing better yet in conference play

Dajuan at 8 and 6 dimes, about the same in conference as noncon, which yea just might be good enough for some all-conference accolades.

And, Dajuan, maybe even another guy or two, might get all-defense recognition too
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

(and please don't crucify me for trying to discuss this, but...)

I just noticed Dajuan is on a 2 game streak, and 10 of 18 games total this season, of not attempting a free throw.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:15 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:01 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:57 am I'm also iffy on continuing to cite the 2012 team.

It's a great reminder of what can be done if you play to 100% of your potential.

It's not a good recipe to reach the title game. That team obviously had some major flaws and were not great offensively by Kansas standards. If anything, it should remind us how small the margin for error can be and how thin the line between good seasons and bad seasons can be.
2012 is just a great reminder to me that Bill Self is an excellent coach who can scheme up success with just about any roster he finds himself with. Sure, I'd love it if KU was 2 deep at every position and we had an embarrassment of talent riches but there are no teams like that these days. KJ has been fantastic and if the core KU rotation plays a little better than last night then I think they can beat any team in the sport this season.
2012 could be an argument that you give Self a couple of all-American types and a few more veteran role players and he can fuck shit up.

Or, the other side of the coin - 2012 could be an argument for just how important depth can be. Maybe if we had BMac off the bench (instead of Zach Effron lol) and some actual big (instead of KY jelly and Langford’s little cousin…heck, good chance true freshman Jamari would have been an upgrade), and we’d likely be hanging more than just another FF banner that year
No.

UK that year was going to be better than us no matter how good our 9th 10th and 11th man was.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:51 pm would you put KJ on an all-conference team at this point over Gradey?
No. Gradey Dick is such a lethal shooter that other teams have assigned someone entirely to him to keep him in check. He has that Barry Bonds "if you make a mistake he will most likely make you pay for it" thing going.

No one is dedicating a defensive resource to shutting down KJ.

Gradey 2nd team; KJ 2nd or 3rd depending on how it plays out.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:02 pm (and please don't crucify me for trying to discuss this, but...)

I just noticed Dajuan is on a 2 game streak, and 10 of 18 games total this season, of not attempting a free throw.
Now do Yesufu...
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

actually, it is kind of a bummer that we attempted 34 free throws, but not a single one by our 3 small guards who played a total of 71 minutes, and despite refs rewarding free throws to pretty much any contact at all when driving
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Kudos to Tang?

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

there's more than one way for a coach to be just too good for "Manhappiness."
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:29 pm Kudos to Tang?

he had me right up until the god part

best of luck to him though, fighting the good fight and all

i doubt he gets traction, but we’ll see. the little brother insecurities are hard to overcome
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
StayCurious

Post by StayCurious »

Even with the home-cooking effort, we still only lost by 1. This loss won't hurt us at all down the stretch.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

K state better hope things done continue to go this well for tang in Manhattan. 16-2 and he will be taking another job somewhere
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

well, maybe Tang’s on-court success will prompt other programs to lure him outta manhappiness

And/or maybe Tang will simply tire of trying to take the high road and kitty fans still going all little brother about it.

For real, would anyone be surprised if the comments gutter posted got Tang booed by kitty fans too?

Cuz F-K-U chants are practically as essential to the manhappiness experience as EMAW itself
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Man, still hilarious how pissed he was just arms crossed and starting at the student section as the opening tip happened.

He's great. But he's too good for them.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:10 pmHe's great. But he's too good for them.
He could already be gone after this season. Why would UT not interview him?
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:16 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:10 pmHe's great. But he's too good for them.
He could already be gone after this season. Why would UT not interview him?
Because they think Scott Drew sucks? He's Scotty Jr.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:10 pm Man, still hilarious how pissed he was just arms crossed and starting at the student section as the opening tip happened.

He's great. But he's too good for them.
Can you imagine sticking around for long after coming to the conclusion -- in the first half of your first season -- that the fan base is a major disappointment?

(After spending the last decade+ of your life in Waco....)
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto